Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th: Official Paramount press release

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Friday the 13th: Official Paramount press release

Old 09-22-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've already bought this set ($26 though the BBV error), and I'm very very happy. If they release more in the future, I'll just sell this set to help pay for the other one, it's not big deal to me. Besides, I'll be watching this set in just a few weeks, and it'll be next to my Nightmare box set on my shelf. I'd rather have this set, than no set, for now.

Who even knows how long it'll be before a new box set or new releases of the films.
Old 09-22-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can definatly understand you guys buying the set if you don't have the single releases, but from what I hear the movies are exactly the same (audio/video)

We can hope that Paramount will one day LICENSE out the series, because they can't put together a proper box set.
Old 09-23-04, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by emhello
This is one of the very few movies that really needs to be released in its original 3D format. No 3D = no sale.
Gotta agree with this!
Old 09-23-04, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by ChristopherS

"This is not about gouging the fans with repeated releases, its about providing as good a set as we are physically able to do at this time."
Sure it is. That's why there were cast and crew from a few of the films who wanted to participate in the special features but were told they couldn't because Paramount ordered the DVD production company to stop producing extras so they could push the set out a month or two sooner. (I remember reading that in one of the threads earlier...)

Sigh.

And like a sucker, I'm still going to buy this set since I don't own any of the previous releases.
Old 09-23-04, 12:01 PM

They made a BIG MISTAKE by saying other releases may come! what a bunch of morons! and reading the post above too, Morons is the only word that springs to mind.

Maybe an overseas version will come out with far better dvds of all the films, it could well happen, but wont be as cheap, but you lot dont care much about prices from what I can see, you just want 3d and uncut
Old 09-23-04, 12:23 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Bummer. I too wish Paramount had not said this. Now I'm debating whether or not to keep my PreOrder. I hate being a sucker to the studios.
Old 09-23-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
just went to the furture shop sight...63.99 for a five disc set with two movies squeezed on each disc?...not going to happen...i paid almost that much for the alien quadrilogy...suck it, Paramount...
Old 09-23-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I was also on the fence with this, the comments from Blythe have made this one a big NO WAY.

Triple-dip this! I'm glad I din't waste money on the original releases, and I'm glad I'm not going to this time, either.

When Paramount can release these films uncut, which is what the fans want, then I will consider buying it.

When Paramount turns people away who were trying to make this set better, then they deserve poor sales. But we all know that it will sell, and sell well. Bummer.
Old 09-23-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Being the huge F13 fan that I am, I'll gladly triple dip if a new set with more extras is released!
Old 10-06-04, 08:51 PM

so i preordered it from best buy and didn't receive the damn bonus disk,..called customer support,..they said they can't guarantee the disk,..since it is an item is "available while supplies last" anybody got an extra or can burn me an extra copy?
Old 10-06-04, 08:55 PM

Same here, I was unable to get the bonus disc. If anyone could burn me one, it would be much appreciated.
Old 10-07-04, 01:10 AM
Cool New Member

are the discs in the new set flippers or did they manage to squeeze two movies onto one side.
Old 10-07-04, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

are the discs in the new set flippers or did they manage to squeeze two movies onto one side.
Eight movies. Four dual layered discs.

Each movie runs 85 - 100 minutes meaning each disc only have around 180 minutes of video in anamorphic widescreen with a mono/stereo track or two. Transfers look as good as they did on the single disc editions.
Old 10-07-04, 06:35 PM

Got mine yesterday. Didnt know it would be such a problem with the best buy discs....hopped on yesterday to see before I bought it on any reviews and saw all the problems with the bonus disc, people being sold out, ect. So called down beforehand and they had two total, only one with disc on back. Thankfully I got ahold of someone who knew what they were talking about right off. Havent been able to watch any of it yet, but happy to have it. Ended up paying about 62 when tax came through.
Old 10-07-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts
With all the negative comments about this set I'm surprised at how well it's selling. I caved and bought it myself because I didn't have quality copies of these movies (though I have 1-5 on CED videodisc, and a DVD-R of Part 3 in 3-D copied from a Japanese VHD disc). I consider the 2-D version of Part 3 in the set an "extra" since there were some 2-D prints of it made for drive-ins since they can't show polarized 3-D. Being an obsessive collector type, I had to get it with the bonus Best Buy disc while I could too, and its limited quantities only make it that much more appealing.
So far I've just watched the first 2 movies, the first one especially looks a lot better than I've ever seen it. I'm going through the discs chronologically so I'll watch the extras after I've watched all the movies; they seem interesting enough though I'm not expecting much. Hopefully if this does sell above expectations Paramount will at least put out a field-sequential 3-D version of the 3rd movie in the US, since one came out in Japan over 20 years ago. Maybe they won't be so "ashamed" of the series from now on either.
Old 10-07-04, 08:36 PM

I was unable to get the bonus disc. If anyone could burn me one, it would be much appreciated.