Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th: Official Paramount press release

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Friday the 13th: Official Paramount press release

Old 06-29-04, 08:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not as pissed about it as i was before,but i wouldve really liked 5.1 remixes on all the films,not just one of them..the extras arent too bad.imma be there on release day to buy it
Old 06-29-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
$60 retail? So that's probably around $45-$50 on sale. Sold.
Old 06-29-04, 09:21 PM
Banned

I'm thinking of getting it but I want to hear from people here what they think of the box set if they reccomend it or not.
Old 06-29-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a decent set, although it's not as "ultimate" as say Alien Quadrilogy.
Old 06-29-04, 09:40 PM

hmm..... i still like no matter what

so I thinking I might as well buy this, since I'm still missing some of the movies
Old 06-29-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but i wouldve really liked 5.1 remixes on all the films,not just one of them
Why is OAS not considered as important as OAR? If the movie was originally released in mono sound, shouldn't it be released on DVD as the same? Wouldn't an artificial remix go against the 10 Commandments of DVD?
Old 06-29-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Yep, never got the originals, so gonna have to pick this up. The price should be nicer if I can wait until the Holiday 20% sale at DDD
Old 06-29-04, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
$60 retail? So that's probably around $45-$50 on sale. Sold.
Yessir, I was going to pass on this too, but for that price I'll pick it up. Still disappointed with the lack of extras though.

*kicks rocks*
Old 06-29-04, 10:14 PM
MSD

Can't wait!
Old 06-29-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I never did finish completing my set with the old discs. for the price of this set, I'll definately get it, even with the lack of unrated cuts.
Old 06-29-04, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Yep, never got the originals, so gonna have to pick this up. The price should be nicer if I can wait until the Holiday 20% sale at DDD

I'm gonna wait, at least I hope I can. Should be about $30 during the sale.
Old 06-29-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GOD**M IT, WHY DON'T THEY FIX THE F**KING SOUND?! I WANNA F**KING EXPERICENCE F**KING JASON F**KING VOORHEES IN F**KING DIGITAL SURROUND SOUND, NOT F**KING MONO!!!!
Old 06-29-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I'll still be picking it up as well. It would have been nice to have commentaries for 1, 2, and 4, but oh well, the rest of the extras and price make up for it.
Old 06-29-04, 11:28 PM

All I want is the bonus disc. The commentaries sound nice, but I don't like that they put two films per disc. And the lack of uncut versions really is a slap in the face to us Friday fans. Add to that that there is a special edition of Part 1 out in other regions, and they didn't carry over the trailers from some of the original DVD's (why not?), and this set looks a little lackluster. Maybe I'll buy it to get the bonus disc and give the DVD's away to someone.
Old 06-29-04, 11:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm. I'm excited about that bonus disc, but still disappointed that they didn't do enough.

The box art is cool, but I hate that new style Friday the 13th logo. I don't understand why they couldn't just use the classic logo:
or even the REALLY classic logo:

New Line did the same thing with the Nightmare set, but at least the individual discs and cases have the correct title logos.

The disc image thing is just laziness, I'm sorry. On one hand you could say "It's not a big deal, who looks at the disc anyway." But why not take the extra (minor) step to do it right?

I like the split design for the individual cases, but they used the crappy artwork they used for the old releases of parts 5-8... plus redid the others without any consistency. The new artwork for 1 and 3 seems to match the generic style of the others. Part 4 at least used something from the original poster. I actually like the artwork for part 2 the best. They used an actual shot from the movie (or an artist's redo of it, I'm not sure). They should've just did this for all of them.

I'm a little disappointed they couldn't get Sean Cunningham to do a commentary for #1, it's his claim to fame. They could've at least bought the rights to the R2 commentary. I'm hoping the featurettes are lengthy and don't gloss over the subjects. The deleted scenes one had better show the complete scenes, and not just snippets while someone talks over it. We'll see. I'll get this either way, since I'm a Friday the 13th fanboy. At least it's finally happening, I suppose.
Old 06-30-04, 12:00 AM

I'm pretty sure the photo of Jason for the part 3 cover is a shot from part 6...?

Maybe there will be original artwork as inserts? yeah, I know, keep dreaming.
Old 06-30-04, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Defiant1
Why is OAS not considered as important as OAR? If the movie was originally released in mono sound, shouldn't it be released on DVD as the same? Wouldn't an artificial remix go against the 10 Commandments of DVD?
true,but they shouldve given us the option of a 5.1 mix....we have 6 or 7 speaker systems to have mono sound?plus part 7 sounds great in surround..i wouldve love to hear the classic part 1 music in full surround
Old 06-30-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by deepest blue
true,but they shouldve given us the option of a 5.1 mix....we have 6 or 7 speaker systems to have mono sound?plus part 7 sounds great in surround..i wouldve love to hear the classic part 1 music in full surround

5.1 did not always exist,deal with it.

Not all films were made in 5.1,nor should they be remixed into 5.1 just because 5.1 exists today. Deal with it

Also the 'i bought a surround system/have so many speakers...' excuse is lame. Since not all films were made in 5.1 surround. So why expect them to be altered,just because you have a new fancy surround system?

Did you ever watch the films on tv,VHS or in theaters growing up? Did you enjoy them then? If so..guess what? They were in MONO(+ stereo for 6-8)!!!!!!!!

My god,the shock of that revelation!

So why all of a sudden is mono a 'bad' thing for these or any other films released in mono???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 06-30-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Not all films were made in 5.1,nor should they be remixed into 5.1 just because 5.1 exists today. Deal with it

Also the 'i bought a surround system/have so many speakers...' excuse is lame. Since not all films were made in 5.1 surround. So why expect them to be altered,just because you have a new fancy surround system?

Did you ever watch the films on tv,VHS or in theaters growing up? Did you enjoy them then? If so..guess what? They were in MONO(+ stereo for 6-8)!!!!!!!!
I couldn't agree more with you Julie. I want the original mix everytime no matter what. I have a 7.1 surround setup, but hate it when mono movies are remixed into 5.1 and sound like ass. Even if they do a good job, the mono mix is the original mix and gives me the impression that I'm watching this back in the day. Just my $0.02 though.
Old 06-30-04, 09:46 AM
Suspended

So does anyone know how the first movie stacks up compared to the R2/3 versions, featureswise? Is it uncut and loaded with the same extras on the pal discs are?

If not, the smart money would be - get the PAL version too, for the truly complete set.

Me - I'll probably get the set, although I'm not in such a rush that I wont wait until the next DDD sale.
Old 06-30-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
AFAIK, all movies are in their US theatrical version, not uncut. Passing on this set
Old 06-30-04, 10:11 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Julie Walker
5.1 did not always exist,deal with it.

My god,the shock of that revelation!

So why all of a sudden is mono a 'bad' thing for these or any other films released in mono???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
yea i did watch them when i was grownig up and back then i had also always wished they had surround..i never said mono was bad or to do away with the mono track,i was just saying to add another track, so dude..chill
Old 06-30-04, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
So does anyone know how the first movie stacks up compared to the R2/3 versions, featureswise? Is it uncut and loaded with the same extras on the pal discs are?

If not, the smart money would be - get the PAL version too, for the truly complete set.

Me - I'll probably get the set, although I'm not in such a rush that I wont wait until the next DDD sale.
None of the movies are in their uncut state. The extras disc is said to have footage, but no one is entirely sure what it is.

The R2 of Part 1 is uncut.

No sale here.
Old 06-30-04, 10:40 AM

The artwork looks great, the extras seem good, the only down side is no uncut versions. I'll be picking it up.
Old 06-30-04, 10:45 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by achau9598
None of the movies are in their uncut state. The extras disc is said to have footage, but no one is entirely sure what it is.

The R2 of Part 1 is uncut.

No sale here.
Now where is the sense in THAT! Ok, I'll cut paramount some slack for the uncut versions of the later movies- I understand that some film elements may just not exist anymore. I'm not happy, but shit happens. But to give us a version of F13th 1 that's not nearly as good at the import version just is straight up stupid.

We might be veering towards No Sale terratory here, unless I can find a VERY sweet price for the set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.