Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

History of the 80's - Anyone heard about this?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard about this set? All I can find is that its a 3 disc set, runs for about 60 bucks and this capsule discription:

ABC News goes on a voyage through one of the most turbulent, and perhaps most provocative decades in the 20th century. The History Of The 80's is a dramatic and enlightening program that revisits the events, places and profiles that created headlines and shaped history. Each disc features world events, people, entertainment, sports, science and technology.

It looks like it could be kind of cool subject matter - but it's a complete informational void. Anyone else have news?
Old 06-21-04, 11:38 AM
Suspended

So I finaly found out a bit about the set. Here is everything it covers:

Disc 1 (1980-1982)
Iran hostage crisis * U.S. Olympic hockey victory * Soviet invasion of Afghanistan * Mt. St. Helens * Love Canal * Movies of 1980 * Solidarity in Poland * Chrysler bailout * John Lennon assassination * Hostages released * Reagan inaugurated * MTV * Reagan and Pope John Paul II assassination attempts * PCs and VCRs * Charles and Diana's wedding * AIDS * Sadat assassination * Vietnam Memorial * Falkland Islands War * ERA defeat * Israeli invasion of Lebanon * Tylenol poisonings * Anti-nuclear protest * Artificial heart implanted.

Disc 2 (1983-1985)
U.S. deployment of nuclear weapons in Europe * Granada invasion * Education report * Star Wars * Aquino assassination * Firsts in America * U.S. Embassy/Marine barracks bombed * Bhopal disaster * New patriotism * Central America * Presidential campaigns * Los Angeles Olympics * Bernard Goetz * Indira Ghandi assassination * Iran-Iraq war * Gorbachev assumes power * Live Aid/Farm Aid concerts * Terrorism * Apartheid in South Africa * Crack * Contras * AIDS * Pete Rose * Poland * U.S. buyouts of corporations.

Disc 3 (1986-1989)
Challenger disaster * Iceland Summit * Oliver North * Chernobyl nuclear accident * Homeless in America * Status of Liberty Centennial * Kurt Waldheim * U.S. bombs Libya * Wall Street crash * AIDS * Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker * Papal visit to Poland * Gorbachev in America * Iran-Contra Affair * Japan in America * 200th anniversary of U.S. Constitution * Environmental issues * Reagan and Gorbachev * Navy in the Persian Gulf * Pan Am Flight 103 * Election * Wall Street buyouts * PLO renounces terrorism * Benazir Bhutto * End of the Soviet bloc * Berlin Wall * Mañuel Noriega * Exxon Valdez * San Francisco earthquake * War on drugs * Chinese student protests * Romania * S&L crisis * Bush
Old 06-21-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Looks cool... I'm also curious how long each disc is. It'd be nice if they spent more than 2 mins on each subject.
Old 06-22-04, 12:37 AM
Suspended

How long? Well, the specs on one retailer's page said that the set was 10 hours long. The History of the 80's VHS that ABC put out (which I presume to be the same material, just in digital form) give each year an hour.

Beyond that - your guess is as good as mine.

Where to find it? DVD Price Search had it listed on their New Titles Listed page. Thats how I found it.
Old 06-22-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Vandelay_Inds
Cool stuff. Do you know where to get it? I can't find it at Amazon...
Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...2C4IPO/dvdtalk

Rob
Old 12-08-04, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Holy thread revival!

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Looks cool... I'm also curious how long each disc is. It'd be nice if they spent more than 2 mins on each subject.
Each year gets an hour out of the 10 year span. Some subjects are pretty short, but there is a lot of detail to the major events of the 80's (The whole PLO/Isreal/middle east thing makes a LOT more sense now).

The video is spotty in places, since the original masters were infact 20 year old news footage. Some of it's good, some not so good - but it's all watchable. Same with the audio - servicable, but not outstanding.

The subject matter is more serious news than say, "I love the 80's" that VH-1 does. They do have a few moments of fluff (top movies of the year and deaths of famous people) but for the most part it's a history lesson. Very little pop culture on display.

Despite the kind of high price tag, I really like the set. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the set in a hot second.
Old 12-08-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the interim, I reviewed it:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12401

Pretty decent set. Worth seeing.
Old 12-08-04, 07:14 PM
Cool New Member

What made it better for me is that since no one looked for it on eBay, I found it for $20 with shipping. That made it even better.
Old 12-08-04, 07:15 PM
Cool New Member

All I to wait for now for someone to lowball "The World at War" and Christmas will be complete.