DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek: Generations SE details

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ken_572002
Shatner's response to the inexperienced captain was great"

"Let me guess....next Tuesday".
I was a little disappointed that they made the Captain of the Enterprise B look like an incompetent boob. You would think the way everyone talks about being on the Enterprise as a great honor, and the way the other Captains have been shown that they would've made him out to be at least competent.
Old 08-25-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

uh, yes I saw that godawful episode of Voyager with Tuvok with Sulu. The only reason why they did that shitty episode was because ratings were piss poor and to celebrate some Trek anniversary. Which is why they also did that superior tribbles episode on DS9. Tuvok wasn't in the movie so he wasnt on the ship. Simple as that. Also, i consider Voyager to be the worst Trek show of all time. The End.
Old 08-25-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
uh, yes I saw that godawful episode of Voyager with Tuvok with Sulu. The only reason why they did that shitty episode was because ratings were piss poor and to celebrate some Trek anniversary. Which is why they also did that superior tribbles episode on DS9. Tuvok wasn't in the movie so he wasnt on the ship. Simple as that. Also, i consider Voyager to be the worst Trek show of all time. The End.
And we don't much care what your opinion is. Someone asked a question about **Trek history**, and Mike accurately answered it, whether you like the answer or not. What are you, 12?
Old 08-25-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Tuvok wasn't in the movie so he wasnt on the ship. Simple as that.
So on a ship housing, say, 300 people, any officer or crewman not on the bridge 24/7 is "not on the ship"?

Pretty spurious thinking.
Old 08-27-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raven56706
Awesome news.... not to mention the trailers..... i thought Generations trailer was awesome
Then you'll probably be mad that they actually aren't included in the set according to reviews from DigitalBits and Trekweb.
Old 08-27-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MvRojo
Then you'll probably be mad that they actually aren't included in the set according to reviews from DigitalBits and Trekweb.
Paramount
Old 08-27-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no trailers, really?? damn, i have to hold onto the old one then??
Old 08-27-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by darmok
no trailers, really?? damn, i have to hold onto the old one then??
I don't think the non SE had a trailer either.
Old 08-27-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can anyone explain why they jumped out of the Nexus with about 10 seconds left before the thingy bopper fired? I never understood that..before that the movie was decent..and then that happened and then the lame Kirk death
Old 08-27-04, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by chanster
Can anyone explain why they jumped out of the Nexus with about 10 seconds left before the thingy bopper fired? I never understood that..before that the movie was decent..and then that happened and then the lame Kirk death
**SPOILERS FOLLOW**

the nice answer to that question is that they needed to defeat Soran and kill Kirk at the same time. if they went back, say to when Picard meets with Soran in 10 Forward at the beginning of the movie, and took care of Soran there, then Kirk wouldn't die, the Enterprise wouldn't blow up, the Duras sisters would live, etc, etc. Kirk would probably go live with Scotty on the retirement planet and Picard would go to his nephew and brother's funeral.

not the best ending.

so, they had them appear just before Soran launches his missle. that way Picard gets to save the day and Kirk gets to die, supposedly with honor.

the brutal answer to your question is poor writing. Picard disappears into the Nexus, then reappears later with Kirk just before Soran launches the missle into the sun. this means that there should now be 2 Picards (the other Picard should still be wandering about outside Soran's forcefield still). you never see this other Picard.

another mistake they made was giving those in the Nexus freedom to exit anywhere at any time. if they had limited a Nexus occupant's exiting options to A. the location they were when they entered the Nexus, and B. a time just before or just after they entered, things would have made more sense.

the way it is now creates a huge plot hole that, sadly, they never bother to explain.
Old 08-27-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno, Generations really just didn't do anything for me for most of the reasons already mentioned.

Plus, to be honest their little scientific screw-up [science nerd] Of having the local star explode a few seconds after Soren's rocket is launched into it without taking into account the whole speed of light thing just didn't sit well with me. That kinda sloppy science just proved that the writers didn't care.

I guess that among other things was kind of my first step in my eventual disillusionment with ST.

[/science nerd]

Wake me up when the First Contact SE comes out.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 08-27-04 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Panda Phil
...[/science nerd]

Wake me up when the First Contact SE comes out.
I thought that the "science nerds", to use your term, didn't like First Contact because Cochran's ship goes into warp without any mention of inertial dampeners. Oops. As for me, all of Star Trek requires a large suspension of disbelief, like most sci-fi and fantasy, and First Contact is my favorite Trek movie.

Been awhile since I have seen Generations though (not since the movie theaters). Never bought the old low quality, non-anamorphic DVD. Might have to pick the SE up to see if the movie is as underwhelming as I remember.

Last edited by lizard; 08-29-04 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by TK-421
I was a little disappointed that they made the Captain of the Enterprise B look like an incompetent boob. You would think the way everyone talks about being on the Enterprise as a great honor, and the way the other Captains have been shown that they would've made him out to be at least competent.
I don't think that the intent was to show this particular captain as a boob per se. Rather, any captain of the enterprise, under the same circumstances with Kirk sharing the bridge was bound to look er...boob like.
Old 08-28-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I really think that this movie suffered because they spread themselves too thin. You had the end of TNG, DS9, the development of Voyager, and the development of Generations all occuring at the same time.
Old 08-28-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Tuvok wasn't in the movie so he wasnt on the ship.
Flawed logic. Pavel Chekov wasn't in "Space Seed", yet it's firmly established in THE WRATH OF KHAN that he was indeed a member of the Enterprise crew and met Khan during Season One of The Original Series, even though we never saw him.
Old 09-04-04, 03:00 PM

We have our detailed review of Star Trek: Generations Collector's Edition here.

Snippet:
Star Trek: Generations is far from the best Trek film, but nowhere near as bad as the critics would have us believe, and this DVD release is the perfect opportunity to revisit and re-evaluate the film 10 years after its release. At the most basic level, the filmmakers achieved exactly what they set out to do, and created a cross-over Trek movie to hand the series from one generation to another. Whether such a film was necessary in the first place is a matter of debate.

This DVD is a great package, but isn't without its faults. Most disappointing is the transfer, which alternates between stunningly beautiful and crushingly disappointing, often within the same shot. Thankfully the soundtrack is more than impressive enough to take your mind off things, and the inclusion of a DTS option - which will hopefully be continued for the rest of the series - is welcome. The extra features are lacking when it comes to new interviews from many of the cast and crew, but are all informative and in depth enough to make up for it.

If you have the other releases in this series, then this is simply a must have, while if it's a film that has not impressed you in the past, this might be a good time to give it another chance.
Old 09-04-04, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by WillyShatsWig
We have our detailed review of Star Trek: Generations Collector's Edition here.
I know the reviews regarding the trancfer show the film to be less than perfect however, those screenshots you've posted are simply beautiful!