Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

CREMASTER CYCLE 1-5 from Palm Pictures 9/16???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-06-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was on Palm Pictures site and apparently they are releasing Matthew Barney's CREMASTER CYCLE 1-5 on DVD... The Palm website say's 9/16, but I can't find any information or pre-order prices for it!!!

Any one have any info on these DVD's??? I'm stoked they're getting released, even more so if they will this month!!!

Here's the link to PALM PICTURES site...

http://www.palmpictures.com/videos/news/comingsoon.html

Last edited by Heliosphann; 09-06-03 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-06-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting... I also can't find anyone (including major suppliers to the vendors) that has any information on this release.

TriMark/Lions Gate was listed as having The Order: From Cremation 3 (Special Edition) available 8/26/2003. However, it also doesn't seem to be available yet. I've seen the runtime listed for this as either 120 minutes or 240 minutes (IMDB lists #3 as 182 minutes).
Old 09-06-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just rented The Order from Cremaster 3 from Netflix - it's about a half hour section from the cremaster 3 film, with director commentary. The commentary explains the meaning behind some of his wild images but says little about the actual filming and participants.
Old 09-06-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think matthew barney is just trying to suck as much out of people as he can by releasing "excerpts" from his video series instead of the whole thing.

Just release the whole thing, matthew.

Never mess with a man and his "art"!
Old 09-06-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sunday Morning
I think matthew barney is just trying to suck as much out of people as he can by releasing "excerpts" from his video series instead of the whole thing.
Actually, the "Order" disc is pretty neat and has enough special features to warrant its own release.

Last edited by Gerry P.; 09-07-03 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-06-03, 11:32 PM

now showing

the DVDs might be worth checking out. they are showing the films at the Museum of Fine Arts here in Houston.

Last edited by DocBrass; 09-06-03 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-09-03, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, they just played in Indianapolis but I missed them. I wish somebody had some info about these. HELP!!!
Old 09-09-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too am looking forward to seeing this get released but suspect it's still a way off especially as Order:Cremaster 3 has just been released on DVD recently so i suspect they will try to get 'mileage' with this before they release the whole cycle.
Palm Pictures have that that release date listed for months and certainly don't update their website that often.
Old 09-09-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you are right. The Order is an interesting release (still haven't seen the multiangle) probably testing the waters a bit to see how the Cremaster Cycle will sell. Although I don't think money is at the heart of the matter for M.B. considering the way he gets money thrown at him by institutions like the Guggenheim to make art.
However Palm pictures have a vested interest in these selling well. If they put the Cycle out on DVD it will probably be an amazing set with lots of extras, as well as costly most likely.
If you are really interested in his work the Cremaster Cycle is available as a hardcover book. It covers the entire Cycle and is meant to be a companion piece to the films. As are the sculptures etc...
I recommend picking this book up while it is still available, if you are really interested in the films.
Old 09-09-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
I don't think they're testing the waters. I could be wrong but I believe the deal to release The Order was in place with Lion's Gate before Palm announced they were releasing the whole Cycle. Since Palm is also the theatrical distributor, and the theatrical release was very successful and extended through the winter, they're probably holding off releasing the DVDs until it's out of theaters.
Old 09-09-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Palm Pictures has also pushed back the release date of the Spike Jonze collection three times in the past month, so they may be having some, um, organizational challenges...
Old 09-20-03, 12:19 AM

Okay, I just got my hands on the Order DVD and I have to say it's pretty neat. It's really modeled after the exhibit shown in the Guggenheim. It has the option of viewing this section of the movie as it appears in Cremaster 3 or viewing the individual degrees separately as displayed in the Guggenheim installation.

I have to say, it's really really cool, but now I want the cycle on DVD more than ever. I was THIS close to getting it on bootleg when I heard there would be a legit version coming out.

Please.. if anyone here knows anything about the release of this box set, share.
Old 09-20-03, 12:51 AM

Palm Pictures Customer Service is telling callers that the full Cremaster Cycle won't be released on DVD until 2004 (probably in the Spring).

They obviously don't update their website very often . . .
Old 09-20-03, 01:26 AM

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!
Old 09-21-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
Palm Pictures Customer Service is telling callers that the full Cremaster Cycle won't be released on DVD until 2004 (probably in the Spring).

They obviously don't update their website very often . . .
Disappointing i suppose...but not at all surprised!
Old 09-22-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spring 2004? Not bad... I never really hoped, even for a moment, that we'd get the whole thing on DVD, so this is quite a pleasant surprise.

And "the Order" DVD is an excellent tease, though it doesn't nearly reflect the full variety of the series. I still laugh everytime I think of that image of Serra, clutching his trowel and standing tall in full sculptor garb as the camera circles him, like some badass enemy combatant in a video game. That's one of the indelible images... that and Aimee's crystal legs.
Old 08-24-04, 09:25 AM

Cremaster cycle release date?

Has anyone heard of when the release date will be for the Cremaser Cycle? I was on the Palm Pictures web site, and there is no mention of it.
Old 12-29-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: CREMASTER CYCLE 1-5 from Palm Pictures 9/16???

More than 5 years later and still nothing. Pathetic.
Old 12-29-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought it was confirmed by the creator himself they would never be on DVD, aside from a 20 copy, $100,000 each set.
Old 12-29-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

How about blu-ray then?
Old 12-29-09, 06:20 PM

Matthew Barney has said repeatedly that the series will never see a commercial home video release. Aside from The Order, the only DVD versions are absurdly rare (like 10 copies of each film), and are traded by art collectors at insane prices. Screenings of the films seem to have halted for the time being. The best you can do, unfortunately, is to download the bootleg AVIs of the films; parts 1-4 are in good quality (sourced from VHS, but still good quality) but the quality of part 5 is pretty bad (but not unwatchable). One would think that an "artist" like Barney would not want people to experience such second-rate versions of the films, and I hope he changes his mind, but until then...
Old 12-29-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed
Matthew Barney has said repeatedly that the series will never see a commercial home video release. Aside from The Order, the only DVD versions are absurdly rare (like 10 copies of each film), and are traded by art collectors at insane prices. Screenings of the films seem to have halted for the time being. The best you can do, unfortunately, is to download the bootleg AVIs of the films; parts 1-4 are in good quality (sourced from VHS, but still good quality) but the quality of part 5 is pretty bad (but not unwatchable). One would think that an "artist" like Barney would not want people to experience such second-rate versions of the films, and I hope he changes his mind, but until then...
Pulling in easy money with minimal work is an artform of its own.
Old 12-29-09, 08:48 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by slop101
More than 5 years later and still nothing. Pathetic.
i saw creamaster 3 in one of my film classes. One of the worst movie's/performance arts i've seen. This coming from someone who does watch experimental films as well. Hopefully you guys have had the experience of seeing these films and like them, and aren't getting your hopes up for a release if you haven't seen them before.

Guess it wasn't my cup of tea...

Last edited by Alcoholiday; 12-29-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This guy comes from the performance art world, not the commercial film world. It's not coming out on any mass DVD scale. He does not have that mentality.

I have the Order, and I'm long over waiting for any kind of DVD release of his other work. I saw enough of it on You Tube to satisfy me, and I'm over it. There was enough hype around it all to kill my interest for it.