Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

John Carpenter's "Christine" SE DVD coming

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Carpenter's "Christine" SE DVD coming

I've read rumors and such that Columbia was looking to re-release John Carpenter's adaptation of Stephen King's "Christine" on a few web sites. Well, it IS true!

I semi-regularly communicate with Carpenter's PA and when I asked about a new "Christine" DVD, I was told that it is coming and that Carpenter and Keith Gordon have already recorded an audio commentary for it.

Cool, I hope Columbia goes for a 5.1 mix as well.
Old 06-05-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YEESSS!!!!!
Old 06-05-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
man...this would be COOL.

how 'bout getting Paramount to re-release "Dead Zone" with a Carpenter/Walken commentary..?
Old 06-05-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is great news. My christine dvd is dead. The widescreen side is shot and I won't dare play the full screen side.

Keith gordon rules for participating for the extras on dvds for his acting efforts as well as the films he directed.
I agree, a 5.1 mix would add much to this dvd.

PS
Perhaps columbia will release the pretty sweet SE of starman that is in region 2 one day. If you can't wait, and you are region free, I'd pick that one up.
Old 06-05-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm actually not a huge fan of Carpenter's Christine (and I don't own it). But... I'm a pretty big Carpenter fan in general. And I think that Carpenter and Gordon actually do some of the best commentaries out there. I'm likely on board for this one, if just for the extras. And I VERY rarely buy DVDs just for the extras.

And, I definitely agree with Sunday Morning. I hope that this release shows that Columbia is commited to Carpenter's DVD output and will consider putting the R2 SE of Starman out in R1.
Old 06-05-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
HOPEFULLY this disc will have the teaser trailer that freaked me out in the theaters!
Old 06-05-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great news!

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-06-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Excellent news. I'll definately be picking it up. I'd also like to see the Starman SE and a nice SE of They Live from Universal.
Old 06-06-03, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sunday Morning
This is great news. My christine dvd is dead. The widescreen side is shot and I won't dare play the full screen side.
what the hell does that mean? now what, one side will rot and one wont?. here we go....another kind of problem. I really hope you just used one side for a coaster....and forgot to flip. you need to explain, unless I'm missing something.

I'll take an SE of this as well. double-dipping with Carpenter will be a pleasure. I wish they would just get Elvis on dvd. how can I complete my JC collection without it?

Last edited by gutwrencher; 06-06-03 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-06-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
man...this would be COOL.

how 'bout getting Paramount to re-release "Dead Zone" with a Carpenter/Walken commentary..?
I thaught the Dead Zone was directed by David Cronenberg??
Old 06-06-03, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by shanester
You're right - it is.
Old 06-06-03, 09:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Fantastic news!
Old 06-06-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
what the hell does that mean? now what, one side will rot and one wont?. here we go....another kind of problem. I really hope you just used one side for a coaster....and forgot to flip. you need to explain, unless I'm missing something.
I wish I could answer this, but, it's the only dvd in my collection of over 800 dvds that I have a problem with. The widescreen side just doesn't want to play anymore. It starts and plays for a bit and then is all kinds of crazy. The full screen side plays fine, which infuriates me. At least this new disc is coming so I can buy a gun, yell "pull" and have some fling up the disc in the air and BANG.
Old 06-06-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by shanester
d'oh!

I meant...wouldn't it be interesting to hear a Carpenter/Walken commentary on a movie that Carpenter had nothing to do with..?

yeah, that's it...
Old 06-06-03, 04:31 PM

This is solid news! .. Not like Keith is doin much but this is one of the most underated movies... with a GREAT soundtrack. Carpenter rules for his AC with actor's. Way to go Keith. Now all we need is Keith to do AC for Back to School
Old 06-07-03, 02:00 AM

I thought Keith Gordon was directing now, just like all those other 80's actors who's careers didn't go anywhere.
Old 06-07-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jason, You're a Mellon!

Anyway, Carpenter is a DVD watchers best friend. I blind bought Assualt on Precinct 13, and while I was let down with the film, Carpenter's very candidly critical commentary of his own work and nice featurette of a 1/2 hour Q and A with Carpenter and the male lead after an L.A. screening last year are real nice touches that would be real easy to add to many DVD's. The extra effort is appreciate from what seems to be one of the good guys in Hollywood.
Old 06-07-03, 08:53 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Considering John Carpenter has more than a little distaste for this film (he's been quoted numerous times as saying the challenge of making an inanimate automobile scary proved to be too much for him--funny, he could have just asked Stephen King, whose novel pulled off the feat in spades, how to do it, but I digress), I never thought I'd see the day where he'd proffer a commentary track for it, but "whoo-hoo!" that he did! I just fervently hope he doesn't spend 90 minutes bashing the movie. I'd have to admit, when compared to the stellar novel, the movie blows chucks, but taken solely on its own virtues, including Carpenter's divine use of the Panavision frame, his eerie, pulsing, minimalist score and all those lovely beauty shots of the most gorgeous car ever made by Man, it provides some choice entertainment, so I'm all over a special edition like a Plymouth Fury's tires over punks named Moochie...
Old 06-08-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tigger
Not like Keith is doin much
Keith Gordon started directing back in the late 1980s and is actually a very talented individual. (writer, producer, actor, director).

I find it tough to claim that someone who directed The Chocolate War, A Midnight Clear, Mother Night, and Waking the Dead "isn't doin much".
Old 06-08-03, 02:56 PM
Banned

AWESOME!!! I'm definitely getting this. I love the book and I love the movie!!!
Old 06-25-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cover art of this was just posted over at davisdvd.com.

I'm just waiting for details and a release date. The current dvd is still in print, so it might be released closer towards the end of the year. At least it's coming soon.
Old 06-25-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it is ON for september 7th. woohoo!
Old 06-25-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool, Christine for Sept, The Thing for Oct, now what can we get for Nov?

I reall wish Starman, Escape from LA, They Live, Prince of Darkness and Elvis would get some SE lovin. I doubt we will ever see Elvis on DVD...
Old 06-25-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

escape from LA defitnetly need an SE or a re-release with anamorphic transfer... also Dark Star SE would be awesome too

John Carpenter is G-O-D
Old 06-25-04, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I doubt we will ever see Elvis on DVD...
I'm pretty sure we will. I think it's only a matter of time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.