Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Collective list of defective DVDs and further information

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Just for the record, I contacted Anchor Bay via e-mail and mentioned the specific problem they stated here and they said they knew of no problems with the any version of the disc, but if it was defective, I could return it for replacement. I decided the shipping expense and the hassle weren't worth it, especially if I can get another one for 6.99.
Old 03-31-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
IAMMMMW

Just got around to playing this last night with the family and none of our 5 DVD players can handle the "layered flip" part at ~88minutes. I have searched this site and can find no mention of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" having a defect. All I can guess is that I got a bad copy. Was there a huge problem with this DVD?
Old 04-01-02, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: IAMMMMW

Originally posted by JANK
Just got around to playing this last night with the family and none of our 5 DVD players can handle the "layered flip" part at ~88minutes. I have searched this site and can find no mention of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" having a defect. All I can guess is that I got a bad copy. Was there a huge problem with this DVD?
My copy played fine on my Pioneer DV-37. Sounds like you got a dud.

A few 'duds' I've gotten recently include:

The Legend of Hell House (Fox) - freezes and aborts at the layer change.

Holy Smoke (Miramax) - stutters and freezes around 45m in. Replaced for another copy that was fine.

Both of these discs were brand new and without blemish of any kind. The glitches were confirmed in two players.
Old 04-01-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't there a problem with Criterion's "Playtime" DVD? Something with the introduction by Terry Jones....I believe the default setting on this intro was 16X9, thus if you tried to play it on a standard 4:3 TV, it would look distorted, as one might expect. I believe Criterion fixed this problem with subsequent printings.
Old 04-01-02, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by bardevious
Wasn't there a problem with Criterion's "Playtime" DVD? Something with the introduction by Terry Jones....I believe the default setting on this intro was 16X9, thus if you tried to play it on a standard 4:3 TV, it would look distorted, as one might expect. I believe Criterion fixed this problem with subsequent printings.
I forgot about that one. I've still got one of the 'bad' ones, unfortunately.
Old 04-01-02, 10:33 PM

The closed-captioning feature in Peter Weir's Gallipoli switches on and off at least four times throughout the movie. Solution: if the closed-captioning disappears, stop the movie, then play it again. It worked for me.

False advertising: Great Blunders of WW II does not have English subtitles despite box advertising.

Last edited by dvdsarecool; 04-01-02 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-04-02, 10:42 PM

Just found the last disc #7 in X-fikes Season #2 appears to be blank. Any ideas??
Old 04-04-02, 11:52 PM

Heres a problem with the new tron release (All copies)..

TRON
Problem: Screen turns into green blocks, while played on PS2..
Jaime Pressly Theirs one scene, where theirs 2 people talking (I dont recall their names - I believe its chapter 16 or 17 though).. about half way into the conversation, the screen turns into huge green blocks, and doesnt go away (Even going to the main menu, its still there..)
Solution: Skip that chapter

--

that happens on all copies of Tron played on a PS2..
Old 04-05-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Very good information. I would add my Pioneer Elite Changer DV-F07 to the list of the players that have issue with the OOP Devils Advocate. It is so jumpy I cannot watch it.
Old 04-05-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm looking to pick up a Toshiba SD4700 soon. I'm wondering if anyone who owns this player is having problems playing certain DVD's

Thanks
Old 04-06-02, 03:05 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

I had tried 3 copies of Les Miserables: the Dream Concert on my pioneer DVD player and it keep freezing during the first act (in different places). I have read reviews on amazon that other people are experiencing this problem as well. I really wanted this DVD but have decide to hold off until this problem is fixed..if it ever will be.

Also, I recently purchased This is Spinal Tap: Special Edition from Virgin Megastore. I was wondering if there is a way to determine if it is the defective version (like UPC number) before I open it up. Is there certain scenes in the film where there should be identifying subtitles? Thanks!
Old 04-08-02, 11:40 AM

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Special Edition [Columbia]
Problem: On many (most) players, subtitles randomly pop up during the film. Most are from the Subtitles for People Who Don't Like the Movie feature. Also, the first Swedish subtitle is missing from the opening credits.

Solution: Columbia is apparently offering replacement discs. Newer pressings should have the problems fixed.
Only the random subtitle problem has been fixed. The first fake-Swedish subtitle is still missing.
Old 04-08-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The copy of Holy Grail I got from Columbia House has the subtitles there.
Old 04-08-02, 05:24 PM

The copy of Holy Grail I got from Columbia House has the subtitles there.
Look closer, I think you'll find that during the opening credits when "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" comes up on the screen, you will not see "Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Grãilen" pop up. All the rest of the fake-Swedish subtitles are there, but the first one is missing, even from the corrected copies.
Old 04-08-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SPIDERone
TRON
Problem: Screen turns into green blocks, while played on PS2..
Jaime Pressly Theirs one scene, where theirs 2 people talking (I dont recall their names - I believe its chapter 16 or 17 though).. about half way into the conversation, the screen turns into huge green blocks, and doesnt go away (Even going to the main menu, its still there..)
Solution: Skip that chapter
that happens on all copies of Tron played on a PS2.. [/B]
There are so many compatibility problems with the PS2, I think I'll keep it as a separate topic. I think there was a site somewhere that has a list of DVDs that weren't compatible on the PS2. I'll make a post if I find it.
Old 04-08-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian McHale

Look closer, I think you'll find that during the opening credits when "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" comes up on the screen, you will not see "Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Grãilen" pop up. All the rest of the fake-Swedish subtitles are there, but the first one is missing, even from the corrected copies.
Oh I wasn't aware there were supposed to be Swedish subtitles on the opening title too. Ok thanks.
Old 04-10-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Criterion

Here are two problems with Criterion discs I didn't see listed. Many thanks for the efforts in this thread.

The Last Temptation of Christ - Criterion. "Due to a manufacturing flaw on the first printing of The Last Temptation of Christ", subtitles do not appear on 16x9 televisions....."
New printings are now available for exchange.

Le Trou - Criterion. No audio on my Toshiba sd-6109. It works fine in my computer dvd-rom drive and another region-free player. On their website, they list problems with the Toshiba 5109, which is probably similar to mine, but the suggested "fix" for the 5109 doesn't work for me. If this is just a problem unique to the firmware in my 6109 (it's a dvd receiver), I'll probably just forget it, but I did ask whether there are any other printings that don't have the problem. No answer yet, but I only asked this morning. By the way, a great film!

Other info is available on their website, which now has a DVD tech support page about "known problems".
Old 04-11-02, 06:01 PM

Under the entry on The Godfather set, only Toshibas are mentioned as having problems with the bonus disc; please also add the Pioneer Elite DV-37. I've contacted Pioneer, and they've confirmed that an upgrade is available to fix the problem - providing the player is not multi-region (they have no serial numbers).
Old 04-15-02, 02:25 PM

Here we go again now with Spy Game

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=197402
Old 05-31-02, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stealing Beauty now has a fix:

(copied from HTF, Peter Staddon's post from yesterday)

"If you have a disc without the subtitles call the customer service number and they will send you a replacement disc.

The number to call is 888 223 2369. You will need your package with you when you call.

The replacement discs will be at customer service by next Friday (June 7th) so please do not call before then. "

I was just watching this film for the first time and got extremely annoyed at the fact that there was so much I was missing, so I went looking for a solution. Glad to see there now is one.
Old 06-09-02, 11:22 PM

Slayers Season 1 DVD update

Slayers Season 1 DVD set replacement discs are now available
Dear Slayers Fans:

Want to trade in your original Slayers DVD Collector’s Discs to get your Japanese audio tracks fixed? Here’s your chance! Central Park Media, in cooperation with Right Stuf International, is giving you the opportunity to get the corrected Slayers DVDs!
How? Simply mail in your original Slayers DVDs along with the Slayers Exchange Form plus $9.99 (US$13.99 in Canada) for shipping and handling and you'll get a brand new set of remastered Slayers DVDs!

“As a big thank you to all of the fans who have stuck with us through this technical glitch, Central Park Media is offering a special Box Set Deal through The Right Stuf! When you exchange your Slayers DVDs, you can take advantage of these special low prices on any of the following special DVD collections! Buy one or even buy them all, but this offer is only available to fans who are replacing their Slayers DVDs. Act quickly because this offer only lasts until 12/31/02. Thank you for your continued support of Central Park Media products.”

Richard Goffman
VP Sales and Marketing
Central Park Media
The info can also be seen at http://www.software-sculptors.com/sl...soundinfo.html
A new remastered set is also available, but rumors are spreading that discs A and B of the new
retail version of the set(no info on the mail in repleacements yet)may still have the same problems as the previous set according to this page http://www.animeondvd.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/2041.html
Old 07-26-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

updated with escaflowne
Old 08-23-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great thread, very useful. thanks.
Old 08-23-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I guess we should add Jackie Brown to the list.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=231020
Old 08-23-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Blue Velvet SE, special features don't work on most (or all?) Philips DVD players (including mine).

I was able to view them on my crappy Apex DVD player. For more info, it's mentioned a number of times in this thread:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ht=blue+velvet

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.