Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Slipcover Tray for Steelbooks?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Slipcover Tray for Steelbooks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Insert Tray for Steelbooks?

So, I recently started collecting 4k's like many and probably also like a few others, I refuse to part with my steelbooks from my Blu-ray collecting days especially when the 4k case alternative is a boring black eco case. At the very least, this practice of mine is helped by the fact that 4k disc only Ebay auctions are not that uncommon.

For example, I have already done this with the Target exclusive steelbook to Ender's Game. Take out the dvd from the steelbook, slip in the 4k disc, put the dvd in a generic 2-disc blu case with the other blu-ray (give the Blu-ray/dvd combo to a friend or unload it for a couple of bucks) and then keep the 4k case for replacements. I keep my steelbook, I make it 4k, a friend gets a cheap/free movie...everybody wins.

Anyway, so I'm looking through my Blu-ray steelbooks and come upon X-Men First Class. It's available in 4k, and I have a steelbook...it's an one-disc steelbook though...so I'm about to put it back into my collection and move on. Until, I see prongs...for a tray of some sort (but no tray of course). The question would be....anybody have ANY idea where I could get a tray for this sucker? I would assume it be a clear tray...but looking on google doesn't leave me any real answers so I'm hoping somebody here with experience would know. If I need to post pictures, just say so. Thank you.

Last edited by Kedrix; 03-13-17 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 01:02 PM

Re: Slipcover Tray for Steelbooks?

One alternative (for others with the same questions) are these adhesive hubs (there are other variations but these are clear)...but I'm not sure if they would mess up the steelbook in anyway. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adhesive-Sti...MAAOSwu4BV2i9I

Edit: I ordered 3 packs, it's a $5 investment and if it works...fantastic. I'll probably waste one of the hubs on a plain dvd set of some sort to see how it holds up and how to easily remove it (goo gone should do the trick) should the need arise. If not, back to the drawing board...which the only thing on my drawing board at this point would be to buy an ultra cheap steelbook off ebay that's two disc and swap out the internals. Make sure its a movie I can't stand, lol. I can't be the only person trying to figure this out

And yes, I'll post pictures when completed...

Last edited by Kedrix; 03-15-17 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 08:34 AM

Adhesive Hubs

Welp, I got them last night and I have to say, I'm very surprised and impressed with how well these work. The tabs go on very easy (be sure to figure out the proper place to put them) and stay there. They are also the right size for the discs and only require a small push to get them on. You can also remove them if needed with little to no mess. Here are some pics, spoilerized for size. The subject is Now You See Me Blu-Ray steelbook, an one-discer, made into 2 for 4k.

Cover
Spoiler:

Inside Left w/o Disc
Spoiler:

Inside Steelbook with Discs
Spoiler: