Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Collection Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Collection Question

Hi Guys,
So I have recently gotten a Blu Ray/DVD player and I am looking to begin a small collection. I want to get some Marvel and DC movies, however I don't know whether to get Blu Rays or DVD's. I know that Blu Rays are more expensive but have better quality but I would be willing to get either as long as I know what choice is best for the collection.

Thanks
Old 08-30-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Collection Question

blu-ray all the way!
Old 08-30-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are still watching on a 1990's square tube TV, get DVD's. They are standard definition and should have disappeared years ago, along with this type of TV.

If you will be watching on a modern day HDTV, get Blu Rays. They will display in high definition, with better resolution, color, and sound.

Since you are collecting the most popular type of movie, availability on either format would not be a factor.
Old 08-30-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

And many of the titles the OP is looking for are probably available in BD/DVD combo packs. That makes it a very easy decision.
Old 08-31-16, 10:21 AM

Alright, thank you for the help. Would HD DVD have a better use than perhaps a standard DVD? I just want to know if I buy a combo pack and I don't have to worry about it looking wonky on my TV.
Old 02-24-17, 08:21 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

These days I would only get movies on DVD if they had never been released on blu-ray, or if the DVD was so ridiculously cheap (flea market) it would be a no-brainer not to go ahead and get it (even then I might stuggle with the decision). Most new releases I would not hesitate to choose blu-ray, better yet a blu-ray/dvd combo. That way you have both, should the need ever arise.