DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Fox TV gets smaller

Old 05-23-09, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fox TV gets smaller

In a much, much better move than those stupid, annoying "eco-friendly" cases with the recycling logo punched through the front and a pinwheel punched in under the disc, has decided to save on plastic and paper by shrinking their entire TV library. As we all know, shelf space is desirable, and I was at a Wal-Mart and I saw the new packaging for the first time. They had "Arrested Development" Seasons 1 and 2 bundled together for $20 (a steal) and "Futurama" Volume 1 for $15, so I grabbed them and figured I'd take a bunch of pictures of them.

I prefer the slimmed-down "AD" over slimmed down "Futurama", although I'm likely to get all four seasons anyway. The main reason I dislike the Volume 1 "Futurama" packaging is because the DVD "back covers" were always a sheet attached with rubber cement, and the artwork on those was often kinda boring. What they should have done is print up a booklet with the episode summaries, and then they could have printed more of the art on the inside instead of printing disc contents.

Overall, besides the episode summaries and the individual slimpak artwork, you don't lose much, though, and prices are low. Based on what you see here, you can probably guess what things like "The X-Files" and "King of the Hill" and "Buffy" look like, which are among the other ones I saw today.
Old 05-23-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fox TV gets smaller

I'm surprised it took studios so long to figure out that if they make the packaging smaller, they could fit more on the shelves. durrr
Old 05-24-09, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I have is they released Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Season 4 Volume 1 in the thinner packaging, but it doesn't match the other seasons.
Old 05-24-09, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I really dislike that FOX is doing this with Season 7 of 24. 6 discs in one keep case? It's bad enough with 3 or 4, but 6?
Old 05-24-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
I really dislike that FOX is doing this with Season 7 of 24. 6 discs in one keep case? It's bad enough with 3 or 4, but 6?
I'm really curious about that one. If anyone has any pics I'd be interested to see how they fit all the discs.
Old 05-24-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Look in the Angel DVD case thread two down from this one.
Old 05-24-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yeah, this is not really new. There are many shows doing this now. Angel, Buffy, Mash to name just a few.
Old 05-24-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yeah, this is not really new. There are many shows doing this now. Angel, Buffy, Mash to name just a few.
All Fox shows.
Old 05-24-09, 06:01 PM

I am definitely behind this.
Old 05-24-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

I just bought all four seasons of Felicity(disney) and they have been repackaged in the slimmer cases. The original packaged sets have been discontinued. I don't mind these slimmer sets, I just hate packaging changes when they are different from previous seasons.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-25-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-24-09, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I just bought all four seasons of Felicity(disney) and they have been repackaged them in the slimmer cases. The original packaged sets have been discontinued. I don't mind these slimmer sets, I just hate packaging changes when they are different from previous seasons.
Disney has also repackaged Alias and Scrubs.
Old 05-25-09, 03:59 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rednowgreen
Disney has also repackaged Alias and Scrubs.
It's funny that at my local Best Buys they have the original versions of Alias for $27.99, and the newer, slim cases for $19.99. I would have thought that they would have repriced them or something.
Old 05-25-09, 05:13 PM
Banned

I went to Wal-Mart last night and was very suprised to see the slim down Futurama but I am not sure if I want to get the Futurama regular version or slim down version, any advice?
Old 05-25-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These are great- any suggestions on getting these cases and scans to convert my old bulky ones? Greatly appreciated!
Old 05-26-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by InstantKarma
I went to Wal-Mart last night and was very suprised to see the slim down Futurama but I am not sure if I want to get the Futurama regular version or slim down version, any advice?
Just looking at the image above in the thread, it looks like there's still special features are still on the slim version.
Old 05-26-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

xfilekr: if you do a search for "Thinpak" you'll find several discussions about these Thinpak cases, where to buy them, where to download scans, etc., etc. In fact, you don't even to do a search - there are several threads talking about Thinpak conversions not far below this thread. I have converted 403 of the 529 DVD sets I own to Thinpak and now have 2 more shelves free!!! I have also converted 25 THICK 2 & 4 disc sets to normal size packaging. It's really nice to gain so much space on my overcrowded shelves!!
Old 05-26-09, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
I'm really curious about that one. If anyone has any pics I'd be interested to see how they fit all the discs.
I imagine it's similar to Early Edition - Season 1. Also a 6-disk set in a standard sized keepcase.

I'll take pictures after my camera is charged if no one has taken one. One disk on each side of the case and then 2 trays each holding 2 disks. It's a full case and crushing the case would probably lead to a cracked disk but the case seems strong or something, to counteract this.
Old 05-26-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks danwiz, looks awesome! Looking specifically for the new arrested development, futurama, and roswell scans but can't seem to find them?
Old 05-27-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

xfilekr: Sorry, I misunderstood your comment above. Well, r1db.com doesn't have the Thinpak Cover Art (yet), but they have some awesome customs which are designed for an 8 Disc Case - so, you could stick the complete series (8 Discs) in one case and save a bunch of room!
Old 05-27-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

These are not "thinpaks". Thinpaks are what were used for the initial Arrested Development and Futurama releases. These are standard Amaray cases. And the disc content on these versions is identical, although the Futurama disc covers have slightly altered artwork (they just say Episodes 1-5 or something similar on each disc).
Old 05-27-09, 03:53 AM

Are they selling the slimmed down version of Arrested Development season 3 separately? Yesterday I got the slimmed down AD 2 and X-Files 2 packs. I'd like to pick up the remaining seasons for each show in these kind of cases.
Old 05-27-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to get replacement cases for my bulky seasons of Dark Angel, Futurama, AD, and whatever else I have. I just recently sold all my X-Files seasons, so I don't have to worry about those. FOX should offer just the packaging for purchase.

The earlier seasons of 24 are 7 disks, so I guess there is no chance of those being repackaged unless they drop the bonus features disk.
Old 05-27-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Doctor Zoidberg
Are they selling the slimmed down version of Arrested Development season 3 separately? Yesterday I got the slimmed down AD 2 and X-Files 2 packs. I'd like to pick up the remaining seasons for each show in these kind of cases.
AD season 3 is already in a standard amaray case, although it's black and not clear like this one. It's only two discs.
Old 05-27-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

What sucks about the 24 season 7 release is they neglected to put an insert with a synopsis of each episode and who is on the audio commentaries and what discs carry which bonus features as they did in previous seasons.
Old 05-27-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know where I can get blank cases identical to those that Fox is using now? Those are pretty heavy duty and I prefer the clear to the black.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.