Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

The current state of DVD/blu-ray packaging

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately I've noticed the big studios latest printing of DVD's and blu-ray's come without a white security sticker.
Now, while that may be more convenient when opening the package.....it makes browsing more difficult, and it also allows for scamming to run rampant.

Put it this way....the companies are no longer FACTORY SEALING their product. The white strip WAS the factory seal. If I had the means too, who's to say I cant go purchase a DVD in store now, without a factory seal, open it up, watch it, burn it, whatever, and then heat seal it back??

Which brings me to my next point....heat sealing. Do the studios do this? Or is it done by the stores carrying the product (Best Buy, FYE) if the original seal is ripped??

IMO, by mixing heat seals and regular seals, you're opening an avenue to be exploited in terms purchasing, using, and returning product.

I've held off on catalog purchases such as "The Bad Seed" (1956), and others, because I've noticed lately they do not carry the white seal, and IMO it is no longer a factory sealed product.

Anyone else feel the same?
Old 12-20-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The current state of DVD/blu-ray packaging

Originally Posted by Rebelphoenix
Lately I've noticed the big studios latest printing of DVD's and blu-ray's come without a white security sticker.
Now, while that may be more convenient when opening the package.....it makes browsing more difficult, and it also allows for scamming to run rampant.

Put it this way....the companies are no longer FACTORY SEALING their product. The white strip WAS the factory seal. If I had the means too, who's to say I cant go purchase a DVD in store now, without a factory seal, open it up, watch it, burn it, whatever, and then heat seal it back??

Which brings me to my next point....heat sealing. Do the studios do this? Or is it done by the stores carrying the product (Best Buy, FYE) if the original seal is ripped??

IMO, by mixing heat seals and regular seals, you're opening an avenue to be exploited in terms purchasing, using, and returning product.

I've held off on catalog purchases such as "The Bad Seed" (1956), and others, because I've noticed lately they do not carry the white seal, and IMO it is no longer a factory sealed product.

No
Old 12-20-10, 02:22 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what
Old 12-20-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

who's to say I cant go purchase a DVD in store now, without a factory seal, open it up, watch it, burn it, whatever, and then heat seal it back??
Stores will not accept returns of opened copyrighted products such as CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays except to exchange a defective item for the exact same item. In other words, you can't just return a disc for a refund. Your poorly-thought-out plan has been thwarted.

Which brings me to my next point....heat sealing.
You mean shrink-wrapping.

Have you seen a doctor about your obsessive-compulsive disorder? You should.
Old 12-20-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

No, I'm glad those damned stickers on the tops are getting rare. DVDs are such a pain-in-the-ass to open with those things on.
Old 12-20-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WOW! That's adorable!
Old 12-20-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
No, I'm glad those damned stickers on the tops are getting rare. DVDs are such a pain-in-the-ass to open with those things on.
+1

No more having to worry about damaging the artwork just to get the sticker off.
Old 12-20-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For years people complained about the white stickers. Now somebody is complaining they don't use them anymore? Geez, somebody always has to have something to bitch about, don't they?
Old 12-20-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

It IS harder to browse through titles, especially at places like Big Lots, when the DVDs don't have the titles on the top- you have to flip through all of them to see what they are. On the other hand, it's nice to not have to Goo-Gon the cases that have residue from the stickers after they're peeled off.

I thought part of their point was to make it harder to open the case in a store and swipe the disc- expect to see that happening more now.
Old 12-20-10, 06:19 PM

Considering that I'm perfectly okay with buying used discs, I would hardly miss another annoying sticker on a new disc.
Old 12-20-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate those stickers with a passion. Whenever I get an import DVD I'm thrilled that there is no security sticker(s). I hope the trend continues.
Old 12-20-10, 07:09 PM

it makes browsing more difficult, and it also allows for scamming to run rampant.
Come on now, do you really think it's going to "run rampant"?

Sure if you want to spend that much time and effort into scamming a store for a few movies. They catch on fast though and eventually you'll be caught, arrested and banned from the store.

Seriously? Paranoid much?

No
Old 12-20-10, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Considering that I'm perfectly okay with buying used discs, I would hardly miss another annoying sticker on a new disc.
Same here.
Old 12-21-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I almost always opt for a title with the sticker, because the odds are pretty much zero on an insert if you get a copy w/out... Even for a title as new as Where the Wild things Are, an insert came with the stickered, and didn't with the unstickered. And I understand the OP's concern of theft... I think the cheap packaging shows the studios don't care about SD anymore, they've made their cost so minimal they are okay with losing product.
Old 12-21-10, 12:20 PM

i never even noticed if they did stop putting those stickers on. as long as they are in plastic i am happy.

people actually have trouble taking those stickers off and having them leave sticky stuff on? what i do is use the same stickers and put them back on where it is left and pull off fast till it is taken off. sticky sticks to sticky. works good for me.

Last edited by james42519; 12-24-10 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-23-10, 09:50 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I've seen the white sticker missing on BD as well so it may not be a statement on SD.
Old 12-24-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I bought Star Trek Generations 2-disc edition the morning it was released, before they were all immediately recalled. To this day I'm angry that the insert was put in improperly and the top was ripped by the title sticker. I'm just grateful no one seems to really care about that rare packaging variant, because I'd be hopping mad if I had learned that the sticker had cost me the ability to re-sell the item at a great profit. So, no, I don't miss them.

The OP raises the point about discs being more vulnerable to theft and acts of deception. I don't fear it will become commonplace, but it does seem inevitable that we'll get a thread on here about how someone has bought a DVD or Blu-ray only to find that the disc is scratched/wrong/absent and how they couldn't have told without opening it that that was the case, but that the store won't accept it back, etc. I'm not concerned enough at this point to let it deter me from making a purchase, though.
Old 12-24-10, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I bought Star Trek Generations 2-disc edition the morning it was released, before they were all immediately recalled. To this day I'm angry that the insert was put in improperly and the top was ripped by the title sticker. I'm just grateful no one seems to really care about that rare packaging variant, because I'd be hopping mad if I had learned that the sticker had cost me the ability to re-sell the item at a great profit. So, no, I don't miss them.

The OP raises the point about discs being more vulnerable to theft and acts of deception. I don't fear it will become commonplace, but it does seem inevitable that we'll get a thread on here about how someone has bought a DVD or Blu-ray only to find that the disc is scratched/wrong/absent and how they couldn't have told without opening it that that was the case, but that the store won't accept it back, etc. I'm not concerned enough at this point to let it deter me from making a purchase, though.
why was it recalled? i had the sticker rip a label on a ps2 game one time but that was the only one. sucked but it happens i guess.
Old 12-24-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by james42519
why was it recalled? i had the sticker rip a label on a ps2 game one time but that was the only one. sucked but it happens i guess.
'Twas recalled because the trailer was listed as a bonus feature. It was subsequently replaced not with a disc containing said trailer, but rather an insert that omitted any reference to said content. I have since learned that allegedly there was some kind of music rights issue with Paramount including the trailer, but I'm pretty skeptical of that explanation given that the only music I recall was from assorted Star Trek scores. Whatever.