DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

I Hate The Eco Covers

Old 03-05-10, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Hate The Eco Covers

I'm all for recycling and reusing and all that, but dvd cases ? C'mon. This has got to be the most annoying thing to happen to dvd since the cardboard snapper cases. Even they aren't as bad as this. The eco cases are just so flimsy. Usually, I can put my movies in pretty high stacks, often with pretty heavy sets on top of normal plastic cases. Case in point. I have the complete Beastmaster set, which is pretty hefty with 18 dvds in 3 double alphapaks inside a thick card box. I have this sitting on top of several regular dvd cases. Completely safe. But these thin eco cases seem like they'll break if you breathe on them wrong. The only upside that I can see is that the hubs that hold the dvds in seem a lot stronger than most normal hubs. The disc are in there so firmly that they don't even spin around the spindle. Yet, you can get the disc out really easily.
Old 03-05-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I Hate The Eco Covers

Can't say I'm a fan of them either. Quite flimsy, and I also feel worried that I'll damage the artwork by accident with those cases.
Old 03-05-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have any problems with them.
It's not like you use the case, all you have to do is open it and take the disc out.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-05-10 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-05-10, 03:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

good to have you back Ram.
Old 03-05-10, 06:02 PM

It depends on my mood. Most of the time they drive me nuts but sometimes they help with saving space.
Old 03-05-10, 07:43 PM

I wish they'd use the thinner 6mil cases instead of using the traditional size with gaping holes in either side. The 'eco' cases without holes in them are fine, though, even though the plastic is thinner.
Old 03-05-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mind them if there is a slipcover, as that serves to protect the case and artwork. They have been flooding the WalMart dump bins, however, which can really trash the case.
Old 03-05-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chicken Warrior
I wish they'd use the thinner 6mil cases instead of using the traditional size with gaping holes in either side. The 'eco' cases without holes in them are fine, though, even though the plastic is thinner.
i would prefer a 9mm case.
Old 03-06-10, 07:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I would love everyone to go to 5mm cases, more space for more DVDs.
Old 03-06-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm always afraid I'm going to damage the artwork when I pull the disc out. I usually slip a large index card or cardboard between the cover & the holes, if I haven't got a case on hand to replace it... When I picked up "Where the Wild Things Are" and held it in the store, and its so light & flimsy, a much as I love the film, I thought, I won't pay more than $5 for this, it feels so cheap.... I don't like slim cases unless its a box set, I want to be able to read the spine.. I am a fan of the older, wider 2 disc cases (Star Trek, Gump, etc.) and opt for them when I can...
Old 03-07-10, 12:09 PM

I hate eco cases too. They are way too flimsy and has a cheap feel to them.

Old 03-12-10, 05:29 PM
Banned

I was just moving some dvds around and I can't tell you how close I came to poking through either the fronts or backs of a few eco cases.
Old 03-12-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't mind them as much because I just put all my dvds with custom covers into them and the paper that is used for the custom covers are very thick and don't puncture easily
Old 03-14-10, 01:20 AM

I hate em too, I already made a couple dings in my Observe & Report DVD. Maybe Hollywood Video will give away their empty display cases! That would be amazing!
Old 03-15-10, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if anybody else has seen this new wrinkle in the terrible thing known as eco-cases. I've seen this in a couple of the new Spectacular Spider-man volume cases as well as the mini-series of Alice. The top two panels on the left side are actually filled in (but everything else is still wide open). When I saw it in Spectacular Spider-man, I thought it was some odd gimmick, but apparently it is being used elsewhere. Anybody know the rationale for this?
Old 03-15-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I've received a couple of Universal DVDs ("Hellboy II," single disc -- bought at Amazon for $2 Black Friday, and "Cheech and Chong's Next Movie," bought at Best buy for $5 last week) in eco-cases that aren't completely awful.

They're called eco-LITE, looks like they're made by a company called AGIPolymatrix. The fronts and backs are solid like a regular keepcase, though have slightly thinner "panels" molded into them, and a "yin-yang"-style hub. They feel a bit lighter than a standard keepcase, much sturdier than the cut-out style keepcases, and the button releases the disc easily.

Don't mind these at all.
Old 03-15-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never have purchased a DVD that had cases like that (lucky, I guess) but if I did I would replace it with a regular case. And, no, I would NOT recycle the "eco" case. It would be in a landfill by the end of the week polluting the planet.
Old 03-15-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Personally, every time I hear someone complain about how these things endanger the condition of their DVD, I wonder if the solution isn't just to learn to be more careful about the things you handle. The OP mentioned stacking his DVD's, for instance. I understand that not everyone has the space for a shelving unit for all their DVD's, but there are more space-conscious solutions besides stacking them. How are you people handling your cases that the artwork is in constant danger of being destroyed?!

As for the artwork being damaged, I can honestly say that I don't have a single title in my library in an eco-case whose artwork has been damaged. I can, however, say that there are a few in regular cases that were poked in the back (snicker...) under the hub when I bought them. (For whatever reason, they seem to all be Universal releases.)
Old 03-15-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The morons who came up with that idea should be fired.

They need to make the dvd cases much smaller. Instead of poking holes on it.
Old 03-15-10, 08:18 PM

I just noticed, shouldn't this thread be "I Hate Eco Cases" instead of Covers? The covers are the same it's just the cases that have changed
Old 03-17-10, 08:19 PM

I had a BD-eco yesterday with Astro Boy and was like WTF - they're doing it to blu-ray too.
Old 03-17-10, 09:43 PM

No kidding...there goes the good Bd cases.

I actually think this is a bad marketing move for bd. The 30¢ [absolute max] that these companies must be saving with eco cases can't be worth the perceived drop in
quality among the dying breed of consumers who treasure physical media. And as for the green factor, no one buys that anyways. If they really wanted to be green they'd take out the digital copy discs no one watches or make the cases biodegradable. Better not give them ideas though..
Old 03-19-10, 03:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Personally, every time I hear someone complain about how these things endanger the condition of their DVD, I wonder if the solution isn't just to learn to be more careful about the things you handle. The OP mentioned stacking his DVD's, for instance. I understand that not everyone has the space for a shelving unit for all their DVD's, but there are more space-conscious solutions besides stacking them. How are you people handling your cases that the artwork is in constant danger of being destroyed?!

As for the artwork being damaged, I can honestly say that I don't have a single title in my library in an eco-case whose artwork has been damaged. I can, however, say that there are a few in regular cases that were poked in the back (snicker...) under the hub when I bought them. (For whatever reason, they seem to all be Universal releases.)
How are we handling them ? Well, after about 13 years or so of having dvds, we've all gotten used to handling dvds a certain way. Not necessarily rough, or anything, just the way we've always done. And 99 % of the time, the dvds endure fine. But when we try to handle these new eco cased dvds, we do it the same way that we always do....at least until we get used to them.
Old 03-19-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up True Lies in an eco case for $2 during Wal-Mart's black friday sale... Then I walked into second spin and found a used copy in an older amaray, and I have to admit I felt a rush when I felt how heavy it was... Needless to say, I returned the eco version....
Old 03-25-10, 12:24 PM

Just received a large box full of replacement BR/DVD cases. I've got to say it was delightful to get rid of the eco-crap on my shelf. It'll be in a landfill within a week...hope the tree huggers are happy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.