DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Missing inserts?

Old 12-12-09, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Missing inserts?

Most of my DVD collection is tv shows and anime series, so this question hadn't crossed my mind until now: is it a common problem for your average DVD movie to be missing the insert(s)? Would I be more likely to discover the insert missing if my DVD movie (new and sealed, and not a rewrapped, "Previously Viewed" copy from Blockbuster) came from the $5 bin at Target, Wal-Mart, KMart, the supermarket, or the local closeout/fire sale store?

I ask because I recently picked up the X-Files 1998 "Fight the Future" movie for $5 at KMart, and noticed from the back panel that it should have contained an "8-page booklet". I returned to KMart to exchange it, but the two other copies I tried were also missing booklets, and so opted for a refund. Curious, I went through a sampling of the other movies I own, ran a bunch of web searches (Amazon, Google, and movie review sites like DVDTalk), and discovered that the movies I bought at budget did seem more likely to be missing the insert or booklet. For example, The Manchurian Candidate Special Edition, Groundhog Day Special Edition, and Secret Window (Jonny Depp flick) were all supposed to have something in the case, but did not. Now I'm quite possibly not missing anything important, but don't like the idea of getting a lesser product even if the disk is on "clearance".

I always thought these movies originated from the manufacturer or some big retailer unloading their warehouse overstock, but am now wondering if something systematic is going on. Is this a major industry problem, a practice I'm unaware of, or just my bad luck? Any comments?
Old 12-12-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Missing inserts?

Inserts have gone the way of the dodo. Later runs of dvds easily might have no inserts the back labels claim should be there. It's a whole lot easier to just stop printing the insert/book than redesigning and reprinting the outer label.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 12-12-09 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 10:55 PM

Though that Booklet is more than just an insert. So that should have been with the dvd. Unless that booklet was a limited thing.
Old 12-13-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most companies do away with them after awhile. I know the Back To The Future Trilogy used to have a booklet but the later releases do not. I guess they figure most fans of a movie will buy the DVD when it comes out.
Old 12-13-09, 05:50 AM
Cool New Member

Thatao,

I had the same thing happen to me with The X-Files:FTF. I bought three before I got the booklet.

I notice that a lot of DVDs have a chapter insert/or booklet on its first run. Later, if more DVDs are produced, many seem to stop producing the insert.

I know that this happened with Mission Impossible I, The Usual Suspects, The X-Files: Fight the Future, Two Moon Junction, and several others.
Old 12-13-09, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Desolate
I notice that a lot of DVDs have a chapter insert/or booklet on its first run. Later, if more DVDs are produced, many seem to stop producing the insert.
Someone correct me if im wrong, but I believe ive read somewhere on this forum before, they did away with the Chapter Inserts quite a few years ago.
Old 12-13-09, 06:41 AM
Cool New Member

Well, there are still a lot of older DVDs that I have to add to my collection. I'm probably not done seeing my share of chapter inserts.

But I don't know about newer films. Did a big film like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen come with a chapter insert? A booklet? Did G.I. Joe? Terminator: Salvation? I don't know. Three God awful movies I'd never care to own.

I can't remember the last recently released movie I bought on DVD. It's probably been awhile.

I want Watchmen, but I'm pissed that it doesn't come with the trailers. This is another thing with these DVDs that has been getting under my skin me lately. They should always come with the trailers. It should always be the first extra added.

Last edited by Desolate; 12-13-09 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-13-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I check for inserts when I buy used.
Old 12-13-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But I don't know about newer films. Did a big film like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen come with a chapter insert? A booklet? Did G.I. Joe? Terminator: Salvation? I don't know. Three God awful movies I'd never care to own.
I"m sure they don't. As has been mentioned a billion times, stuidos don't really bother with inserts anymore, let alone booklets. You want a booklet, buy something from Criterion.

This is another thing with these DVDs that has been getting under my skin me lately. They should always come with the trailers. It should always be the first extra added.
Yeah um, this has been going on for years. Welcome to dvds!
Old 12-13-09, 12:36 PM

One way to know for sure whether or not a sealed dvd has an insert is to give it a light, gentle shake. If it has an insert, you'll hear it shuffle back & forth. However, you might look crazy at a store shaking a bunch of dvds
Old 12-13-09, 12:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by lanemyer74
One way to know for sure whether or not a sealed dvd has an insert is to give it a light, gentle shake. If it has an insert, you'll hear it shuffle back & forth. However, you might look crazy at a store shaking a bunch of dvds
Of course, now days it's much more likely to be ads you're hearing instead of an insert.
Old 12-13-09, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Of course, now days it's much more likely to be ads you're hearing instead of an insert.
True.
Old 12-13-09, 12:43 PM

I want Watchmen, but I'm pissed that it doesn't come with the trailers. This is another thing with these DVDs that has been getting under my skin me lately. They should always come with the trailers. It should always be the first extra added.

I never considered trailers to be extras. They are nice in way, but I often find them annoying cause its I always have to fast forward/skip through on the dvd till I can play the movie.
Old 12-13-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

The inserts that only listed the chapters I found to be utterly useless. A booklet that actually had critique of the film was a rarity, and much enjoyed.
Old 12-13-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lanemyer74

I always shake the cases anyway to check to see if there are any loose discs.
Old 12-13-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyclad01
I never considered trailers to be extras. They are nice in way, but I often find them annoying cause its I always have to fast forward/skip through on the dvd till I can play the movie.
I think the OP is referring to trailers for the feature you are watching. They were always a favorite of mine, as well.
Old 12-13-09, 11:19 PM
Cool New Member

Yes, Mr. Smearkase is correct. I was referring to the movie's trailers.

I too hate trailers for other movies from the same studio thrown onto the DVD. Batman Begins comes to mind. I can get right past those by clicking next to finally get to the menu. But I've heard that you can't on some newer DVDs that employ this tactic. Don't know if it's true.
Old 12-13-09, 11:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Yeah um, this has been going on for years. Welcome to dvds!
You missed the point.

It appears to be happening with more frequency. It seems that in an effort to get people to jump to BD, studios are forgoing meaningful extras (the film's trailers) for silly crap to entice the jump to BD.

The pathetic create your own PIP commentary for The Dark Knight almost made me blow chunks. I'm finding most of so-called "exclusive BD Extras" to be overrated crap. And for the most part, BD Live is tripe.

Last edited by Desolate; 12-13-09 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You missed the point.
Maybe you should have made you point better then--all you said was that you were pissed trailers weren't included and damn well should be (which I agree with). I simply responded that this was nothing new. There was no way to know you were talking about swapping out what you wanted with Blu-Ray exclusives and the like.
Old 12-19-09, 02:28 AM

inserrts always add to the fuuun
Old 12-19-09, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I think the OP is referring to trailers for the feature you are watching. They were always a favorite of mine, as well.
My bad then. Im still not sure id consider the feature trailer per say, but I think that would be splitting hairs from person to person, and I actually thinks its a nice addition. So yeah, I guess that could be considered an extra.
Old 12-20-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyclad01
My bad then. Im still not sure id consider the feature trailer per say, but I think that would be splitting hairs from person to person, and I actually thinks its a nice addition. So yeah, I guess that could be considered an extra.
An extra is anything that isnt the feature film, or main content. Trailers are extras. Hell, chapter stops used to be classified as an extra. they are so commonplace nowadays that nobody considers them an extra anymore.
Old 12-20-09, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
An extra is anything that isnt the feature film, or main content. Trailers are extras. Hell, chapter stops used to be classified as an extra. they are so commonplace nowadays that nobody considers them an extra anymore.
That seems very odd to me that chapter stops would be considered extras. I could understand that being the case back in the day when DVD players were as much as Blu-Ray players when they first came out.

For me, (Basic) extras are:

Deleted/Extended Scenes
Bloopers/Outtakes
Commentary
Music Videos
Interviews
Making of
Image Gallery's
Alternate Endings

and so on

Inserts and Upcoming movie previews.. not so much
Old 12-30-09, 10:29 PM

I am the original poster, and I bought a $5 copy of "The Talented Mr. Ripley" at Wal-Mart over the weekend. One of the user-uploaded images at Amazon shows an insert and a picture disk. My DVD has no picture and there was no chapter (or otherwise) insert. I guess what bothers me is that the outside packaging looks EXACTLY THE SAME as the other Amazon images, down to the same ISBN. I have a big CD collection, and don't expect the contents to change over time...and if they do, I've always seen this reflected on the outside. If I find a CD in a jewel box, but know there was a limited edition digipak, I don't expect the same insides. Also, "Super Saver" stickers could be a tip-off. I've been buying CD's since the late 80's and have only known this to not be the case once...although my taste in music does run somewhat eclectic. I know it's not a huge deal, and in this case I'm not really missing anything. But the "8-page booklet" reference on the back of "X-Files: Fight the Future" is IMHO a different story. And my "Manchurian Candidate" Special Edition DVD was also supposed to come with an 8-page booklet. Unless the manufacturing plants are really that inept, this feels like misrepresentation, and I don't like being surprised. I am beginning to wonder now what the studios have to say about this practice?