Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Question about DVD slipcovers...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...im new to this site...just joined. My total dvd/blu ray count as of this moment is an even 700. Most recent purchase was Snatch Special Edition. Favorite DVD I own would be Almost Famous: Untitled Bootleg Cut. Enough about me...on to my question...

I've been googling the hell out of this and can't seem to really find an answer that satisfies me. Ok...first...what is an O-Sleeve? Second...I am wanting to get the 15th anniversary of clerks blu ray and the blu ray release of chasing amy coming out in november...now...the clerks one is said to come with an O-Sleeve (Which is why i asked what it was...is it just a slip cover?)...what i want to know is...how can i be sure that i get this O-Sleeve if ordering online? No stores in my area will probably have these since my walmart seems to only get like 3 new releases a week and no good movies. I always feel like im taking a chance ordering online that I will get jipped of my slip cover. Anyone able to give any advice or insight? I have an addiction to slip covers.
Old 09-14-09, 04:46 AM

Re: Question about DVD slipcovers...

I do. I'm getting a friend to send me Let The Right One In from the UK WITH SLIPCOVER. Also I just upgraded Daughters of Darkness to the two disc because I learned it has a slipcover even though it isn't advertised with one - I hope it *does* come with a slipcover. Really places should do more to advertise they have these.
Old 09-14-09, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes, an O-Sleeve is just what the studios call a slipcover. And when ordering online, there really is no guarantee, unless it's the kind of slipcover that's actually under the shrinkwrap. Of course, if you don't get one when you order it online, you could always get another copy at Target, and then 'forget' the slipcover when you return it...
Old 09-14-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

My obligatory "I hate this packaging practice (slipcovers with no shrinkwrap) a thousand times more than the biggest hater of snapper cases" post.
Old 09-14-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Yes, an O-Sleeve is just what the studios call a slipcover. And when ordering online, there really is no guarantee, unless it's the kind of slipcover that's actually under the shrinkwrap. Of course, if you don't get one when you order it online, you could always get another copy at Target, and then 'forget' the slipcover when you return it...
Or you could just steal it to start with...
Old 09-14-09, 11:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Mod note: This maybe a "standard practice" for some people, but so is bootlegging and neither topic/"suggestion" is recommended for discussion around here.
Old 09-14-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you were serious about your so-called addiction to slipcovers, you would not order them online but rather make a point to search them out in stores, specifically to ensure you get a pristine slipcover (or o-sleeve)

but seriously, yeah, no guarantees on slipcovers online. usually, first batches of dvds have them and later batches do not, but even this is not 100%. and so, good luck
Old 09-14-09, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to DVDtalk MrFleharty. I hope you find the place helpful/useful and enjoyable. As you can see we try to make this place a little different from your usual I'net forums/anything goes kind of thing and there are some topic which are not allowed (bootlegging for example) and a decorum we like people to maintain (no "calling out" particular posters and no threadcrapping [explained here http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/23...ase-read.html]]). The main rules are here http://www.internetbrands.com/ib/ter...ww.dvdtalk.com and if you look at the stickies in any particular forum there might be some specific rules for that forum posted there.

Last edited by nemein; 09-14-09 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 02:25 AM

Thanks for the welcoming. About bootlegging...i could never. If i don't have an actual DVD i would feel robbed. I watched a video on Youtube where a guy showed his "DVD collection" and it turns out he has like 20 dvds and a binder of hundreds of burned DVD's. That is NOT a collection in my book. Im the proud owner of over 700 dvds (Would be way more, but i count box sets of more than one movie as one movie. ie: Twilight zone Ultimate Collection has 5 seasons separate in the box, but I count it as one dvd because its in just one big box) Im kinda anal about my dvds.
Old 09-15-09, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrFleharty
Thanks for the welcoming. About bootlegging...i could never. If i don't have an actual DVD i would feel robbed. I watched a video on Youtube where a guy showed his "DVD collection" and it turns out he has like 20 dvds and a binder of hundreds of burned DVD's. That is NOT a collection in my book. Im the proud owner of over 700 dvds (Would be way more, but i count box sets of more than one movie as one movie. ie: Twilight zone Ultimate Collection has 5 seasons separate in the box, but I count it as one dvd because its in just one big box) Im kinda anal about my dvds.
then welcome to the forum
Old 09-15-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFleharty
Im kinda anal about my dvds.
Then you came to the right place. There are people here that are anal about every tiny detail having to do with dvds.
Old 09-15-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

especially about the sleeves
Old 09-16-09, 12:19 AM

Oh God yes the sleeves. I had a friend who would just toss them when he got a dvd...now he regrets it. Ive been reading through here and notice a lot of other people are like me and go through like every dvd on the shelf to find that perfect one with no nicks or scratches on the slip.
Old 09-17-09, 10:30 PM

I"m also addicted to slipcovers. I usually go to a store (FYE) that sells used dvds and get the slipcovers there. I get excited when I find a dvd that I don't have that comes with a slipcover. And most of the slipcovers are in good shape too.