Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Sony's New DVD Cases - Horrible Idea

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 12:52 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Does anyone else hate these new DVD cases?

I don't know how this is environmentally friendly when I'm going to toss these lousy cases in the trash and replace them with regular Amaray cases.

Sony to launch green initiative with Mall Cop
Single-DVD cases to use 20% less plastic

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 3/23/2009

MARCH 23 | Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is launching a massive green packaging initiative, starting with the May 19 DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

From Mall Cop on, all of Sony’s single-disc standard-definition DVDs will incorporate ultra-light cases that feature 20% less plastic than Sony’s previous single-disc standard DVDs and will be covered with plastic shrinkwrap that is 20% lighter. The printed artwork that wraps around boxes will use paper that contains 30% post-consumer waste. Previously, Sony had been using 100% virgin paper.

The studio’s goal is to reduce carbon emissions associated with its DVD manufacturing and distribution by 2 million pounds in North America by the end of 2009.

“What we were looking to do was be efficient and over time, deliver cost savings,” said Lexine Wong, senior executive VP of worldwide marketing for SPHE.

The lighter cases also should help the studio trim both packaging costs and freight charges.

“For the last couple of years, we have been looking at ways to be sustainable and make a difference,” said Wong. “I think our industry and our studio are really committed to environmental issues. All the studios are.”

The Mall Cop box is an Amaray-style case with parts of the box wall cut out to use less plastic. It won’t be the only box Sony uses in the future, and the studio said other green packaging might involve thinner plastic material. The ultra-light cases are currently limited to Sony’s standard DVDs packaged as single discs, but the studio is studying how to extend the change to Blu-ray and higher-end DVD releases.

The Mall Cop DVD (prebook April 16; $28.96; Blu-ray will be $39.95) also will be packaged without a cardboard ‘O-ring,’ saving more than 2,200 trees, or 322 tons of wood, according to Sony. The studio is still considering whether to drop O-rings from future titles.

The embossed cardboard sleeves that slip over many DVDs have been the subject of much industry discussion, because eliminating them would offer environmental benefits and cost savings. The sleeves can carry more elaborate artwork than paper inserts, however, so they are considered key to making releases stand out on shelves.

Several studios have been using greener packaging solutions, following Wal-Mart mandates that vendors both clamp down on carbon emissions and reduce packaging.

Already studios have worked to meet Wal-Mart’s goals, slimming average DVD packaging weight by about 30% between 2006 and 2008. The carbon imprint for a title (encompassing emissions from manufacturing, packaging and transportation to retail) dropped to 0.98 lbs. in 2008, down from 1.1 lbs. in 2006, according to the Digital Entertainment Group.

Warner Home Video was behind one of the first studio-wide green efforts in 2007 when it switched from using virgin stock to partially recycled paper in all art covering its DVDs. 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment rolled out the first carbon-neutral DVD with November release Futurama: Bender’s Big Score.

Before introducing its packaging strategy, Sony first collaborated with expert organizations the National Resources Defense Council and the Environmental Protection Agency.

“The intelligence and energy that Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has brought to this ecologically valuable initiative is inspiring and sets an example for all manufacturers of DVD packaging,” said Dr. Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist at the NRDC. “This is a valuable step in the right direction and should encourage all DVD manufacturers to take action against global warming, to protect intact forests and conserve resources.”

Sony is launching the effort in North America only, but hopes to soon roll it out to European and Asian markets.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6645550.html
Old 03-26-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sony's New DVD Cases - Horrible Idea

I think I'd actually have to see one of these to comment on them. Maybe they aren't so bad. I have quite a few shelves buckling under the weight of DVD's right now. These cases could help. And I'm not that sorry to see O-rings go.

Maybe green isn't the worst thing in the world.
Old 03-26-09, 12:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

if only there were a forum to talk about cases and stuff
Old 03-26-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok, I'm an idiot. What's an O-Ring?
Old 03-26-09, 01:03 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I noticed these cases when I bought Ashes of Time and Quantum of Solace. It didn't bother me too much, but they are noticeably lighter. I'd rather they just got rid of the paper sleeves instead.
Old 03-26-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If they really wanted to save plastic, they could always not release Mall Cop.
Old 03-26-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least the cases themselves aren't green.
Old 03-26-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I hate this idea. There will be a lot more damaged product in stores from stuff getting poked through the thin plastic exposed by the holes. In my case, more plastic will be wasted as I'll have to buy a complete replacement case and end up throwing away the original case.
Old 03-26-09, 01:45 PM

Lighter shrinkwrap? Fine.
Using some recycled paper on covers? I can get behind that.
Making easily accessible holes to be poked through and cause damage to the DVD? bad idea.
Old 03-26-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Ok, I'm an idiot. What's an O-Ring?
Would love to know this myself.
Well, actually I know what an O-Ring is, I just never heard of them being used in connection with DVD's...
Old 03-26-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Would love to know this myself.
Well, actually I know what an O-Ring is, I just never heard of them being used in connection with DVD's...
o-ring = slipcover.
Old 03-26-09, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I hate this idea. There will be a lot more damaged product in stores from stuff getting poked through the thin plastic exposed by the holes. In my case, more plastic will be wasted as I'll have to buy a complete replacement case and end up throwing away the original case.
I agree. I've already had to replace two recent DVDs with regular cases because of this recycling nonsense.
Old 03-26-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is horrendous and defies logic. People do not toss away DVD cases like shrink wrap. Yes, it'd eventually make it's way to a landfill but so will everything. And then for paper... it's been said that the added recycling process of reusing old paper, transporting old paper and collecting old paper uses lots of energy and pollution. Plus, there is no such thing as "saving trees". The trees we use as paper are planted for paper, the more we reuse old paper the less tress will be planted in the future. It's not a rain-forest type deal where trees are being cut down to make way for badly tended farms by starving people.

Yikes... sorry for the tangent. Um... hate the case.
Old 03-26-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Not even a Sony-specific idea.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-co...-nonsense.html
Old 03-26-09, 02:24 PM

I don't mind. It would be hard to damage the DVD without the damage being obvious to the outside of the case, so there is little risk for the consumer.
Old 03-26-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
That is horrendous and defies logic. People do not toss away DVD cases like shrink wrap. Yes, it'd eventually make it's way to a landfill but so will everything. And then for paper... it's been said that the added recycling process of reusing old paper, transporting old paper and collecting old paper uses lots of energy and pollution. Plus, there is no such thing as "saving trees". The trees we use as paper are planted for paper, the more we reuse old paper the less tress will be planted in the future. It's not a rain-forest type deal where trees are being cut down to make way for badly tended farms by starving people.

Yikes... sorry for the tangent. Um... hate the case.
It's not just about recycling. Using more plastic uses more energy.
Old 03-26-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by awil1026
o-ring = slipcover.
Oh thanks, after actually reading the article I see what they are now. Although I have no idea why they would call slipcovers O-Rings.

No more slipcovers doesn't bother me, I could take them or leave them and it does seem like wasted resources.
Old 03-26-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate the flimsy feel of cases like that.
Old 03-26-09, 02:49 PM

This is self-congratulatory studio hype. A serious green initiative would be to change to slim CD-type jewel cases (which are superior regardless of their green merits). DVD has been successful in spite of its typical hub-cracking, artwork-damaging, floater-prone packaging, and after 12 years, the VHS-legacy 7.5" form factor should be retired.
Old 03-26-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Sony is able to decrease its cost in producing the cases and artwork, their prices better decrease as well.
Old 03-26-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
If Sony is able to decrease its cost in producing the cases and artwork, their prices better decrease as well.

If anything, I would bet that they raise prices in order to accommodate the "new" method of making these cases.
Old 03-26-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

JUST GREAT!!!
not only lionsgate and fox, but now sony will be doing this as well.
do these people ever think that many dvds are sold online!!
all these new cases will do is to increase the damage risk!!!
no environment will be saved! there are thousands of production companies
in america and asia which produce billions of waste and polute the air!!
why not start there rather than stopping slipsleeves!!!!
as jay leno would say....IDIOTS!!
Old 03-26-09, 03:54 PM

Why not just make their DVD cases Blu-ray-sized? They're already adjusting their artwork for the size, and the decreased height and material thickness of the cases should about even things out. (Or, the same size as Blu-ray, but without the logo header and in the classic dark gray build).

At least use strategically-placed holes or slots instead of the giant, self-congratulatory recycling shape.
Old 03-26-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really mind these that much. Just as long as they don't switch to the "Wall-E style" cardboard cases.
Old 03-26-09, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Oh thanks, after actually reading the article I see what they are now. Although I have no idea why they would call slipcovers O-Rings.
Open on the top and bottom so its (kind of) like the letter "O" when you look through it. Slipcover is too generic, as it could mean a side-loading slipcase, a bottom loading slipcase, something with a funky flap, etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.