Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Sony's New DVD Cases - Horrible Idea

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Sony's New DVD Cases - Horrible Idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Sony's New DVD Cases - Horrible Idea

Yeah, I've seen a couple of these and they do suck.
Old 03-26-09, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always not buy single dvd releases, that is, if there is another choice.

They best continue to offer "premium" versions of their SD DVD releases which include slipcovers, standard cases, multiple discs.

Some things aren't worth buying on Blu that I'd still want to pick up on SD, but not if the packaging is crap =(
Old 03-26-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

So that means that the cover art can be punctured right through the holes.

Horrible.
Old 03-26-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Isny
You can always not buy single dvd releases, that is, if there is another choice.

They best continue to offer "premium" versions of their SD DVD releases which include slipcovers, standard cases, multiple discs.

Some things aren't worth buying on Blu that I'd still want to pick up on SD, but not if the packaging is crap =(
The 2-Disc "Quantum of Solace" has the same crappy packaging, it's not a 1 disc only thing.
Old 03-26-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really don't care wht they put the DVDs in, I always just move everything to ThinPAK and print a new cover any way. Screw the trees I want an awesome cover adorning my shelf
Old 03-26-09, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think a hole can be easily punched through the cover as there's still the clear plastic that holds the paper sleeve. I feel the real problem is that discs could be knocked off the spindle and become scratched-up floaters. I hate DVD cases anyway and have switched over to slim CD cases.
Old 03-26-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
I don't think a hole can be easily punched through the cover as there's still the clear plastic that holds the paper sleeve. I feel the real problem is that discs could be knocked off the spindle and become scratched-up floaters. I hate DVD cases anyway and have switched over to slim CD cases.
Really? Why the hate for DVD case's?
Old 03-26-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

R.I.P. O-rings.
Old 03-26-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic
So that means that the cover art can be punctured right through the holes.

Horrible.
Originally Posted by Pizza
I think the real problem is the way the average customer handles the DVD cases. There are empty spaces in the front and the back that, when pressed too hard, will form creases in the cover. That's the current design.

With all those new empty spaces in the front and around the hub, those of us who appreciate mint condition covers might be having more trouble finding ones that have not been mangled.

--THX
Old 03-26-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have these with the Lionsgate "W" and "Religulous"

I first saw it and thought, "hm, ok"

It's not a big deal, unless you like poking your DVD cases with pencils or if you have a tendency to crush them often.
Old 03-26-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Levine
Open on the top and bottom so its (kind of) like the letter "O" when you look through it.
Mine look nothing like an O. They look more like a sideways lowercase "L," or maybe a capital I.

Leave it to some tool in the marketing department to decide they're called an O ring, since they are neither a ring nor O shaped.
Old 03-27-09, 01:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like they're going to do this even with Blu-rays: my case for Silence of the Lambs is like this as well.
Old 03-27-09, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fear isn't puncturing the artwork. With my "Quantum of Solace" Blu-ray, one of the two security tags --- the big, square, thin flat one --- was partially on the case and partially over a hole, so it was stuck to the backside of the artwork. That was OK when the case was closed, but as soon as you opened it and things started shifting around, there were all kinds of problems.
Old 03-27-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
My fear isn't puncturing the artwork. With my "Quantum of Solace" Blu-ray, one of the two security tags --- the big, square, thin flat one --- was partially on the case and partially over a hole, so it was stuck to the backside of the artwork. That was OK when the case was closed, but as soon as you opened it and things started shifting around, there were all kinds of problems.
This is the first complaint I've heard that I can actually appreciate. I think the "puncture" fear is greatly exaggerated; we have several of these eco-cases and not a problem with damaged inserts. A security tag, however, is not the sort of thing that can be seen from the outside of a sealed package and would present issues.
Old 03-27-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I really don't care wht they put the DVDs in, I always just move everything to ThinPAK and print a new cover any way. Screw the trees I want an awesome cover adorning my shelf
Exactly what I do. The only reason i noticed these cases, is because of the shock of white you see when you open the case, the back side of the printed cover showing through the cutouts. No problems with the discs or anything though.
Old 03-27-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Blu Man
They waste a lot of space.

Last edited by jjcool; 04-02-09 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-28-09, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
What jjcool replied: They're space hogs. I also hate the hubs as discs will sometimes be very difficult to remove and all that bending to remove them can't be good for the disc. Plus, I think they're generally an ugly package design and it takes a slip cover to make them look good. I wish the good old CD case had won the packaging war in the beginning of the format. It was a bit of a cost switchiing to slim jewels but I'm much happier.
Old 03-29-09, 08:14 PM

I was at a local HMV today picking up, among other things, Never Say Never Again, the new SD release. It came in the new packaging, and I had to go through about 10 copies before I found one that didn't have a hole in it somewhere.

When people pick these up, you can easily put a finger through and rip the cover art.

Such a waste of plastic, as the case from it went right into the garbage. =(
Old 03-29-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Isny
I was at a local HMV today picking up, among other things, Never Say Never Again, the new SD release. It came in the new packaging, and I had to go through about 10 copies before I found one that didn't have a hole in it somewhere.

When people pick these up, you can easily put a finger through and rip the cover art.

Such a waste of plastic, as the case from it went right into the garbage. =(
finally someone who actually confirms the anticipated problems
out in the field!
if damage is already caused in stores, i can just imagine what
will happen with online orders/shipments!!
Old 04-01-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I think the real problem is the way the average customer handles the DVD cases. There are empty spaces in the front and the back that, when pressed too hard, will form creases in the cover. That's the current design.

With all those new empty spaces in the front and around the hub, those of us who appreciate mint condition covers might be having more trouble finding ones that have not been mangled.

--THX
That's my main problem with the new cases. It's sometimes hard enough to find DVD's with artwork not damaged due to shipping, or even artwork that isn't stuck to the DVD seals. Funny thing is that today I bought replacement cases for all my new "Eco-Cases" and dropped the old ones in the Recycle Bin.
in.
Old 04-02-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
That's my main problem with the new cases. It's sometimes hard enough to find DVD's with artwork not damaged due to shipping, or even artwork that isn't stuck to the DVD seals. Funny thing is that today I bought replacement cases for all my new "Eco-Cases" and dropped the old ones in the Recycle Bin.
in.
well my biggest fear is the possible damage during the shipping!
as i am home based in europe i am dependent on online orders
and cannot purchase in stores. as already too much can get
damaged during the shipping of normal cases, i just fear the
increased risk. although, knock on wood, i must say that the 4 eco cases i have reveived via mail so far were luckily ok!
only damage i had was to the quantum of solace 2 disc slipsleeve, but
thats not the fault of the eco case. problem there was that fox still cuts
big holes for the bar code and the entire small cardboard strip at the back top
was ripped off!
i wouldn`t go so far as to replace these eco cases, because once in my possession i handle with care and no damage will occur. ok, they are
ugly looking too, but i don`t see that when cases are closed and hidden by the artwork.
the whole "we want to safe the planet" idea sounds great in theory, but
useless moves like these cases won`t change a thing.
the worst idea ever by sony is to stop slipsleeves altogether!!
i am so sure this has nothing whatsoever to do with trees! they probably
just want to pocket the extra cents saved!!
i would rather not be allowed to drive my car anymore, than to
give up my sleeve collection addiction
Old 04-02-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by philip74
well my biggest fear is the possible damage during the shipping!
as i am home based in europe i am dependent on online orders
and cannot purchase in stores. as already too much can get
damaged during the shipping of normal cases, i just fear the
increased risk. although, knock on wood, i must say that the 4 eco cases i have reveived via mail so far were luckily ok!
only damage i had was to the quantum of solace 2 disc slipsleeve, but
thats not the fault of the eco case. problem there was that fox still cuts
big holes for the bar code and the entire small cardboard strip at the back top
was ripped off!
i wouldn`t go so far as to replace these eco cases, because once in my possession i handle with care and no damage will occur. ok, they are
ugly looking too, but i don`t see that when cases are closed and hidden by the artwork.
the whole "we want to safe the planet" idea sounds great in theory, but
useless moves like these cases won`t change a thing.
the worst idea ever by sony is to stop slipsleeves altogether!!
i am so sure this has nothing whatsoever to do with trees! they probably
just want to pocket the extra cents saved!!
i would rather not be allowed to drive my car anymore, than to
give up my sleeve collection addiction
nice poem.
Old 04-02-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
nice poem.
guess i just have more to contribute to the forum
Old 04-03-09, 01:05 AM

I just picked up the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection, and I was surprised that the thinpack cases inside the slip case had these holes in them. I've heard of these cases, but these are the first ones that I've bought. The artwork wasn't damaged because they were inside a slipcase, and the thinkpaks are clear with artwork visible on the back as well.

I was thinking of switching out most of my collection to thinkpaks, so these probably won't bother me much either.
Old 04-03-09, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by mr. b_dvd
I just picked up the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection, and I was surprised that the thinpack cases inside the slip case had these holes in them. I've heard of these cases, but these are the first ones that I've bought. The artwork wasn't damaged because they were inside a slipcase, and the thinkpaks are clear with artwork visible on the back as well.

I was thinking of switching out most of my collection to thinkpaks, so these probably won't bother me much either.
I wouldn't mind thinpaks in slip covers or in a box set to have these eco cases, as it would be pretty hard to damage them that way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.