Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Printing at Kinkos??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-05, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Printing at Kinkos??

Hey all,

I've heard that people will bring their discs to Kinkos or some place that does color printing and has them print the covers out for them. Does anyone here do this? How does it work out? Can it be on a CD-Rom or does it have to be on floppy? Do you have to tell them how large to print the copies out?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
From what I have read in the past, they won't do copyrighted material like dvd covers. Not many people had luck with them. I think it is a YMMV situation. Get the right clerk on the right day and they probably won't care.
Old 01-13-05, 09:37 AM
Banned

Any other places that will?

Again, should I bring a CD-Rom? and do I have to tell them anything about sizing issues?

I live in NYC. i doubt I'll have a problem finding someone to print them out.
Old 01-13-05, 02:26 PM

Though Michael is correct about Kinko's policy on copyrighted material, you might want to try to find a Kinko's that has workstations. That way, you do the printing (not on the high end printer, but on a color laser), and then pay when you're finished. Most likely, they'll just ask how many pages you printed.

Using a CD-ROM is the best way to bring the covers to any shop. Most shops will have them, but may not have Zip drives. You could try a jump drive, but there's no guarantee that their machines will have a port free. Plus, there's always a risk in damaging your jump drive.

As for size - that's a good question. Tell them that the print outs will need either legal or tabloid size paper (correct me if I'm wrong the last one, folks).

Good luck!

Last edited by GaryEA; 01-13-05 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-13-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Could try Staples. I once took a CD-Rom and got like 12 DVD covers printed on glossy for cheap. Keep an eye out for coupons in their weekly ads (thats what I did).
Old 01-15-05, 09:54 AM
Banned

How much did it cost Joey? Did you have to tell them anything about sizing them?
Old 01-15-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think it came out to $1 a cover. They had to slightly resize them to print onto 8.5x11 (apparently they couldn't print them in their original size), and are slightly shorter in length then they would normally be.

At the time it beat having to drop the money on black and color ink, and I would consider doing it again.
Old 01-16-05, 10:55 AM
Banned

Yeah they definitely won't fit on 8.5 x 11. I had to buy bigger paper. Honestly, the ink thing is an issue for me as well which is why I'd like to find someplace that will print them for me but I want to make sure they are the right size.
Old 01-17-05, 06:30 PM
Cool New Member

If going to Kinkos with a cd-rom make sure the size is correct and it's a pdf file or they will charge you extra.

I go to small business owned place, cheaper than kinkos and they dont care what you print. Small mom and pop joints usually dont care.
Old 01-17-05, 06:38 PM
Banned

how do you make sure the size is correct?

and all mine are jpg or bmps. how does one change them???