Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

anyone know how to print only the spine?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone have a template for the creation of only the spine of a dvd?

i have lots of dvds that i cannot find the cover for, i've looked everywhere (daprogger, madvd, cdcovers.cc, etc)...they're kinda obscure kung fu titles mostly and not many people are interested in them i guess...

anyway, since i don't have the cover, i'd like to at the least stick them in amaray cases and at least list the title of the movie on the spine, if i can't have original coverart.

whats the best way to print only the spine?

can anyone help?

thanks!
Old 01-14-05, 12:48 PM
Suspended

make an image of 170x2175 pixels at 300 DPI in photoshop, put whatever you want in it, then print it out.
Old 01-14-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm don't have photoshop...would ms word or works wordprocessor work?

if i were to buy photoshop, where's the best place?

by the way, thanks for your reply!
Old 01-14-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll probably get yelled out for suggesting this, but you could use MS Paint. Without using any real image editor, since I assume you're just trying to do something simple and uniform, it should suffice and is free. Just change your image attributes to 0.57 inches x 7.25 inches and play with it.

But you might want to also try out PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro before you buy. I'm not sure if there are any other free image editors that are better than MS Paint or not.
Old 01-19-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a less costly alternative to photoshop is Paint shop Pro. That's what I use, and I think it does just fine. You can get it online, or at nearly any software place.
Old 01-22-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What you should do is make a blank cover template. Fill in the spine however you want and leave the front and back cover blank (white). Maybe add a 2 pixel black border around the whole thing to serve as guides so you can cut it accurately. If all you insert into the Amaray case is a spine cutout, it is likely to slide around all over the place - this way everything will fit real nice and snug.