Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

How to print covers to replace snap cases?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

How to print covers to replace snap cases?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ckolchak isn't here, Mrs. Torrence
Old 06-18-01, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Disc-Flipper
why not?
Old 06-19-01, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bust
why not?
Procrastination. Has another Job. Limited time. Not a priority. Cannot find the correct Fox font. Wants to make them perfect. Still need artwork for the Return of the Jedi cover. That's what I gathered. If I had the artwork, I'd do up some covers.
Old 06-19-01, 10:50 AM

Can someone offer an expalanation as to why the images I scan from CD covers / DVD covers always show the dots. It is almost as if they are being magnified and you can see the print dots, which in turn makes the printouts pale in comparison to the originals. I have tried all different dpi settings but still I see the print dots and can't get rif of them. Would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-01, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Bust
why not?
Procrastination. Has another Job. Limited time. Not a priority. Cannot find the correct Fox font. Wants to make them perfect. Still need artwork for the Return of the Jedi cover. That's what I gathered. If I had the artwork, I'd do up some covers.
Well, I'm determined to wait patiently for my very own copies of his wonderful looking covers.

ck, if you're out there, take your time and do them up right!
Old 06-19-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been trying to make a replacement cover for the Ruscico Solaris disc (I wanna put it in a 'chubby' two-disc keepcase and change the artwork on the spine).

I scanned in the original at 400dpi, and I can't seem to resolve the teeny tiny print very well (the little 5.1 logos and the Dolby labs blurb, primarily).

I read earlier about scanning in at a higher dpi and then 'downconverting' (or something) to a lower resolution. Can someone provide a bit more detail? Should I scan in at 2400dpi? And then reduce the resolution somehow to make a manageable file size? Would this help?

Thanks,
RICH
Old 06-19-01, 06:30 PM

Can someone offer an expalanation as to why the images I scan from CD covers / DVD covers always show the dots. It is almost as if they are being magnified and you can see the print dots, which in turn makes the printouts pale in comparison to the originals. I have tried all different dpi settings but still I see the print dots and can't get rif of them. Would appreciate any help you can provide.
Had the same problem myself but one learns by doing

Your scanner and the software you use may greatly affect your result however here are a few good rules:
1) Scan at very high resolution (600dpi or more)
2) Try to make modifications before resampling - may be hard on slower machines.
3) Use your software to remove dirt and moire patterns.
4) Resample the image into suitable resolution for printing (300dpi should work well).
5) If you have a powerfull cpu you might want to try scanning at 1200dpi and printing at 600dpi...

Hope it helps a bit - it took me 120 scanned snappers before I started getting good results
Old 06-20-01, 03:04 PM
mdX

Jeez, I guess it depends on the scanner. I'm using a Visioneer 4400USB, scan and print at 300 dpi, and all text/logos/etc look just as clear as the originals.

side note: if anyone has decent quality scans for X-men, drop me an email. it's too reflective for my scanner I have 20 or so high-quality keepcase covers for my snappers, and don't mind sharing if anyone else wants them
Old 07-15-01, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
OK, all this seems like a *huge* hassle for the 2 or 3 cases that I'd like to transfer. I'd just like to Kinko's and have them do a color Xerox of the snapper case at like 95% of the size (or something like that) and then cut it for me. Is this do-able?? Has anybody tried this??

Also, is Kinko's still tight-assed about xeroxing\printing copyrighted images??? I think that if I explained it to them they might do it, but I once basically got thrown out of a Kinko's for arguing with a manager about color Xeroxing a CD cover. Mine had gotten soaked due to a Dr Pepper spill in my car and I had borrowed a friend's CD cover. Even when I showed him my damaged copy and told him I just wanted to replace something that I *owned*, he still wouldn't do it. Bastard.

Rex
Old 07-15-01, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Also, is Kinko's still tight-assed about xeroxing\printing copyrighted images??? I think that if I explained it to them they might do it, but I once basically got thrown out of a Kinko's for arguing with a manager about color Xeroxing a CD cover. Mine had gotten soaked due to a Dr Pepper spill in my car and I had borrowed a friend's CD cover. Even when I showed him my damaged copy and told him I just wanted to replace something that I *owned*, he still wouldn't do it. Bastard.

Rex
Find a different Kinkos - most of the Kinkos I've been to are run by fifteen year olds who sit in the back and sniff glue all night. They never care what I do. I've had them copy record sleeves and CD covers for me with the laser thing. After he did it he asked me if I was making a bootleg - I said no and he said "oh" like he was disappointed in me for not doing something dishonest.
Old 07-17-01, 06:14 PM

Hey mdx, have you by any chance gotten a mirror for your ftp?? I'd like to download some covers, but I can't. Thanks!
Old 07-17-01, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I'd like to do something sorta along these lines: I have many DVDs that are two sided, with letterbox on one side and pan and scam on the other. Since I never watch the p&s (even on my 13" TV), I'd like to make some labels with one of those CD Stomper things. It allows you to print a label and then stick it to your CD-R. I'm wondering if this will hurt the DVD to put it on the p&s side?

Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-01, 08:24 PM
mdX

Originally posted by Enzo Molinari
Hey mdx, have you by any chance gotten a mirror for your ftp?? I'd like to download some covers, but I can't. Thanks!
http://www.realitycrash.com/dvdcovers.htm
Old 09-19-01, 10:43 PM

Is anyone with a few snapper-converted keepcase covers willing to print them out for me? I'd be happy to reimburse such a person for all costs involved. Recently mdx printed some for me and they look awesome! Here's a list of all of the covers I'm looking for: http://expage.com/codefree I'd greatly appreciate any help that's provided. Send me an email!

PS: I don't own a scanner yet and my printer sucks so I'll have to upgrade it sometime as well.
Old 10-25-01, 09:28 PM

What is the best paper to print the covers on? I have HP deskjet 610 and walmart or kmart is the nearest places to get access to printer paper, no office places local.
Old 02-27-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Brewc:
What is the best paper to print the covers on? I have HP deskjet 610 and walmart or kmart is the nearest places to get access to printer paper, no office places local.

For all inkjets, you can choose between a coated matte or a glossy paper. Obviously the glossy gives the best looking image, but i have been satisfied with high quality coated matte such as the HP Premium. Uncoated paper will not provide the best sharpness and boldness of inks from your HP ink cartridge (whatever one the HP DJ-610C uses, which i don't know).

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTION: If you don't have an office superstore in your area, you can still go to their websites to look up various inkjet papers so that you can read their descriptions and learn a little bit from them. If you have a Wal-Mart in your area, you might also have a Sam's Club or Costco. Both places sell coated inkjet paper.
Old 02-27-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoo-hooo! A four-month thread revival! I'll drink to that!
Old 02-27-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im fine getting scans from some of the sites listed in the Replacement Cover thread to replace mine...it will save me a lot of time. However, I want to know the exact steps to take one of these hi-res scans and print it on something that will look like its the real thing, as well as print it at exactly the right size. What are the steps to do this?
I dunno if Id actually do this...I have 20+ films in snapper cases, so Id have to use a LOT of ink, buy a lot of cases, and wear out my printer...or pay a lot of money at Kinkos or somewhere like that. But I am interested in some of the alternative cover cases people have made, such as the James Bond covers.
Old 03-28-02, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ENDContra
Im fine getting scans from some of the sites listed in the Replacement Cover thread to replace mine...it will save me a lot of time. However, I want to know the exact steps to take one of these hi-res scans and print it on something that will look like its the real thing, as well as print it at exactly the right size. What are the steps to do this?
I dunno if Id actually do this...I have 20+ films in snapper cases, so Id have to use a LOT of ink, buy a lot of cases, and wear out my printer...or pay a lot of money at Kinkos or somewhere like that. But I am interested in some of the alternative cover cases people have made, such as the James Bond covers.
I hate to point out the obvious, but that's exactly what this thread discusses on the first couple of pages.
Old 03-29-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
As readers of this thread know, I am computer illeterate. Printing and scanning covers were a stretch for me. I used a program suggested. I was pleased with the program, but the covers were dull. By chance, I found NEATO.com. They have various labels and a new one for DVD covers. High gloss and perferated to the exact size of the Amray and Alpha covers. They also have a program to print all types of covers called MEDIOII. It has a listing for the DVD covers (US DVD WRAP CUSTOM - A4DVDins.ntt) that when you use it makes a perfect cover. They also have a great customer service that will help with any questions.
As you can tell I am quite happy with this company and am now reprinting all the covers that I had done before. Maybe this will help some one else. I just want to try to repay eveyone's kind help on this thread.

My Thanks

Randy
Old 10-24-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am sorry for putting this thread back and sorry if this has been awnsered but ive got another question

once i am done downloading the cover (the et cover in that other thread), what do i do from there, sort of walk me through the process if you can.
thanks
Old 10-24-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You'll need glossy or matte finish paper for best results. Tape a piece of regular paper to the back of the glossy/matte you are going to use. Open the picture in a graphics program (any will do fine). In the printer settings, set the printer to print in landscape mode, and set the paper size to 8.5x14. Print the picture. If your graphics editor lists what size the photo is when you choose to print it, make sure its at the right size.

Note, if using glossy and your printing the black E.T. cover, you should wait a week for the ink to completely dry, so that the ink doesnt get sticky and stick to the plastic of the cover (only covers that have a majority of black in it do this, I've never experienced a colorful cover that did this).
Old 10-24-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why should i tape a regular peice to the back of the glossy paper. also with that graphics program, how would i move the downloaded picture to this program (i have microsoft picture it 2002, and dell picture studio)

Last edited by Rypro 525; 10-24-02 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-24-02, 04:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Because glossy paper is 8.5x11, and computers wont print a cover completely on it, you'll miss a couple centimeters. Those programs should have something like get photo or file, open and you just go to where the picture is saved on your computer and select it. I don't have either, so I can't give you precise directions on how to get the file.
Old 10-24-02, 05:01 PM

I can't access the ftp site, is it down?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.