Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

How to print covers to replace snap cases?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

How to print covers to replace snap cases?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-01, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to make a keep case wrap for the Boogie Nights Platinum Edition?

Do you think I would have to disasemble the box it came in?
Old 05-03-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try scanning each the front, side and back and put the images together. I would love to get this into a keepcase as well!
Old 05-03-01, 02:08 PM
Banned

I don't know if I have a program that I could just put them together if I scan them separately (note: I know very little about computer graphics programs).

By the way, I just finished my best looking one so far, Blazing Saddles. I can't believe how perfect it looks. I really didn't think it was possible to get this quality.
Old 05-03-01, 03:45 PM

Thanks mdx. Downloaded your JFK & it looks great! I just used high res paper ($10 for 100 sheets of 8.5X11) sized to 7.25"x10.75". Blacks seem to saturate the paper a little bit, which causes minor wrinkling, but not anyworse them some original I have from other studios. Cut, insert, you're golden. The key for me was saving it as tif instead of jpg. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

GreenJello, I've got a good scan of Wizard of Oz from the original MGM release; no chapter list though. I could either send it to you, or if mdx wants, he could add it to his list for all to use. LMK guys. Ya know, we could make a killer db of these if everyone sent one.
Old 05-03-01, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Bust
Has anyone ever tried to make a keep case wrap for the Boogie Nights Platinum Edition?

Do you think I would have to disasemble the box it came in?
http://www.davesbox.net/dvd_covers

I stuck a TIFF of my double alpha cover for Boogie Nights Platinum in here. The back of the cover was a rush job so there's some clipping of the text, but hey, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-03-01, 09:05 PM
Banned

Well, for anyone who still cares to be reading this stuff...

My Boogie Nights Platinum Series experiment worked to almost perfection. I scanned the front/back/spine all separately so there is a miniscule difference in color on the spine but you can only tell if you take it out of the sleeve and flatten it out. No big deal for me. I swear that the cartoon images on the front look better on my print then they do on the original cardboard. My only other gripe was that I had to squeeze a 3/4" spine to 1/2" so there is a little distortion, but only noticable when comparing to the original.

I set up the dimensions to fit an Amray Slim Double DVD Case, so basically, they're the same as every other DVD I've done so far.

If anyone would be interested in a copy of this cover, I would have no problem putting it on a disk and mailing it out. I would require that you send a blank zip disk or CD and return postage. I have it saved as a .tiff, a .ppd (Adobe PhotoDelux), and .jpg.
Just e-mail me at: [email protected] if you're interested.

*phew*
Old 05-06-01, 11:56 AM
Banned

bump for moviestalker
Old 05-06-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What's wrong with snapcases? Or is it just a personal preference?
Old 05-06-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by vernie
This is what I do to get my printer to print to the edge: I simply use adhesive tape to attach another piece of paper to make it 14" length.
Thanx for the suggestion and for thinking "outside of the box". I will probably try taping a strip on both the top and bottom edges of the sheet so that I can print as close to both edges as I can. It's a LOT cheaper than buying 8x14 photo paper.
Old 05-07-01, 01:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by JosephWV
Personally, for me, I don't like how they are a different size. I also like the uniform look of all my DVDs having the same cases.
Old 05-07-01, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, as this thread shows, one of the great things about keep-cases, is you can change the jacket if you get tired of looking at it, or replace it if it gets damaged. just print a new one out, get a replacemnet amaray and your good to go. w/ the snapper, if anything damages it, or you don't like the studio design, your pretty much sol.

i might as well put a plug in here for kinkos while i'm at it. just got back, again , from making some prints off digital files (averaging around 20-25mb, 300 dpi saved in tiff) and these are un-f*&%ing believable. they look JUST like store bought cases. i can see why people would want to print at home, but when you factor in the cost of premium paper, and especially ink, i think the edge goes to having them laser printed. but as long as you're satisfied thats all that matters
Old 05-07-01, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cough.. troll.. cough..
Old 05-07-01, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mdX
Green Jello,

I don't have Wizard of Oz. Here's what I have covers and inserts for so far:

Amadeus
American History X
Analyze This
Austin Powers
Austin Powers 2
Devil's Advocate
Heat
JFK SE (new 2-disc version)
L.A. Confidential
the Matrix
Pearl Jam: Touring Band 2000
Se7en (Plat. Edition)
Taxi Driver
the Wedding Singer

all of these can be downloaded from my ftp at 129.2.242.8 port 3131 user/pass: dvd. The covers are 10-15mb and the inserts 5-10mb. All images are 300dpi TIFF format (uncompressed)
Anyone have an ftp server on port 21 by any chance? my firewall is evil and wont let me get data connect there :*
Old 05-07-01, 11:31 PM

Anyone have scans for Total Recall or Twilight Zone Volume 9 (I've got the cheapo Columbia House cover for this one) ?
Old 05-08-01, 01:16 AM

I could use a cover for dark city. Mine got ruined and i hate snapper cases anyways
Old 05-08-01, 06:27 PM
Banned

a couple of things...

1. I want to thank everyone again for all their help in this thread...you have all helped make my DVD collection look a LOT better.

2. It would be amazing if somone had enough server space to put these high-res scans up on a site to share. I have a fairly fast cable modem connection and I would be willing to spend a night uploading some of the covers I have scanned. mdx, do you have an upload option on your ftp? How much space do you have for files?

3. Well, I tried out Kinkos tonight and I have to say I'm fairly dissapointed. I imagine this is due to the fact that I did not do something right. I saved my scans after all my touch up work/resizing was done and took them to Kinkos. I will admit that I had no idea what I was doing when I got there. I asked the workers to help me and they were somewhat confused with what I wanted to do. I logged on to their computer (expensive, ouch), threw in my zip disk, and brought up my Heat scan. Their first idea was to send it to their Color PASS printers behind the desk. These prints turned out horrible. Luckily they did not charge me for the ones I did not like. Then we decided to use the Tektronix Color Laser. The print didn't turn out much better. I can see dots all over the large faces on the cover and in the letters in the title. The small print on the back is hard to read. I can't see what I could have done to make it look better, not to mention they charged me $3 for the print, plus the computer time, came to $4.something. Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Old 05-09-01, 09:27 AM
Banned

so is it Kinkos, or me?
Old 05-09-01, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so is it Kinkos, or me?
how large is your original file? what dpi?
i originally liked the printout i got from the techtronix because it had that kind of glossy sheen to it like you get with a dye sub. it also looked like process printing, but it did have drawbacks-blends weren't always smooth, especially if they are very subtle blends. and smaller text (12 pt and under) wasn't crisp, like you would get with postscript fonts and a ps printer.
someone suggested using the xerox doc 12 hooked up to the fiery, and even though the paper is a matte finish, color, sharpness, blends are considerably better. i'll probably never use the textronix again whenever i go back.
the printouts i made last night were 300 dpi, 20 mb files.
they look unbelievable.
Old 05-09-01, 10:11 AM
mdX

Re: a couple of things...

mdx, do you have an upload option on your ftp? How much space do you have for files?
Space isn't an issue, but the fact that I'm at school and will be leaving in two weeks is. When I'm at home I'll be on 640/90 DSL, which is no good for you guys to download from. I'll look into finding some free/cheap webspace where I can have the covers hosted

Also, I used whatever color laser my kinkos has, and all of my covers are indistinguishible from the originals. My files are 300 dpi TIFF files. Bust, you may want to download my Heat cover and compare to yours, and see is there are any differences, so you know if it's your source or the printer settings that were teh problem.
Old 05-09-01, 10:44 AM
Banned

I'm scanning on an Epson Perfection 1240U at 1200 x 2400 dpi resolution. When I resize, I resize at 300 dpi. I know it's not a problem with my source because I print it at home on a Hewlett Packard DeskJet 932C on Kodak Photo InkJet Paper, and they look fairly flawless. The only problem is that I'm not perfectly happy with the blacks I get. So I wanted to try Kinkos and see if they were better. Obviously, my Kinkos is suckekekekeke. I'll most likely just print at home from now on. If they were going to charge me over $4 a print anyway, I'm better off buying a bunch of print cartriges.
Maybe one of you guys could write me up a walk-thru of how to set-up the printer at Kinkos to blow my mind...

ckolchak, I got a package in the mail from Singapore today, so I am eagerly anticipating downloading some of your new covers!!!
Old 05-09-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, Bust, have you tried using different paper? My HP Photosmart (same print engine as yours, I believe) really sucks for blacks on that Kodak paper, but the HP paper is MUCH better. Perhaps a switch to a different paper will give you better results.
Old 05-09-01, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Another related question: what can I use to get the stickers off of a bunch of AOL dvd-style cases? Trying by hand will just ruin them.

Is there anything very common that will do this? I'm in a small town, and I'm not sure where to find "Gum-Out" or any specialty products...
Old 05-09-01, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If any one has HQ scans that are ready for printing of the following films, let me know!

- Fight Club
- Boogie Nights
- Magnolia
- Seven
- Final Destination
- The Whole 9 Yards
Old 05-09-01, 02:42 PM

i have a dumb newbie question, but what the hell, im gonna ask it....
how do i actually donwload from a ftp server? do i need a special programm or what? please help me!
Old 05-10-01, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by valkyrie
Actually, Bust, have you tried using different paper? My HP Photosmart (same print engine as yours, I believe) really sucks for blacks on that Kodak paper, but the HP paper is MUCH better. Perhaps a switch to a different paper will give you better results.
Perhaps you are right, but unfortunately, I went ahead and bought the damn Kodak paper and I have pretty much all my covers done already, so I think I'll just live with it. I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm not happy with the covers I have gotten. They all look absolutly beautiful compared to what I expected and I really can't tell that they are prints unless I hold the original right next to it, but I'm always looking for that step up, I guess I'm a perfectionist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.