Search

Reefer Madness....in DTS (& Color)!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Reefer Madness....in DTS (& Color)!!

From DVDFile.com:

And if all of this camp isn't already enough for you, on April 20th Fox will also release the "incendiary" and "controversial" laugh riot Reefer Madness. Long in the public domain, this remastered reissue boasts both the original black and white and newly colorized versions, both in 1.33:1 full screen, plus restored Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 tracks (really, no joke!), plus audio commentaries by Mike Nelson of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" and the Legend Films Color design team (on the colorized version only), and the rare short film "Grandpra's Marijuana Handbook." Retail will be a mere $14.95 for this epic release.

ugh!

The Nelson commentary might be worth it tho. Hopefully, they cleaned up the ORIGINAL B&W Version. I wouldn't mind a decent copy of the movie.

Andrew
Old 12-18-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know how I'm celebrating this news...
Old 12-18-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by illennium
I know how I'm celebrating this news...
hehe...

puff, puff...pass! yup...count me in.
Old 12-18-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Its puff, puff, GIVE. You can get killed for that!
Old 12-19-03, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet totally buying this just for the commentary, but.... why the hell would they bother making a DTS track off of what was more than likely originally mono?
Old 12-19-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the early additions to my collection... sounds like a worthwhile and fun upgrade.
Old 12-19-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else notice that they're releasing this on 4/20? (Which really is a Tuesday!)
Old 12-19-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Walter Neff
Anyone else notice that they're releasing this on 4/20? (Which really is a Tuesday!)
Dude, that is so freakin awesome. May be time to re-spark an old tradition for me
Old 12-19-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Never seen this movie, nor I have I ever touched the wacky tobaccy, but I'm getting this just for the commentary (the low price just helps out in the decision). I'm one of the few that really liked his work on MST3K and his books are hilarious. Hopefully, the commentary will be just as funny.
Old 12-19-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude - too funny!
Old 12-19-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man, that's beautiful!!

"Old Toby, the finest weed in the South Farthing!"
Old 03-11-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by DJLinus
Hopefully, the commentary will be just as funny.
It's a pretty good track. Very MST3K-ish -- after the foreward, Mike only speaks when riffing. There are a lot of gaps between quips, and the hit/miss ratio isn't as strong as I'd like, but it's absolutely worth a listen for any MST3K fan and definitely worth the price of entry. (It's available for less than $8.50 shipped online, if you look around.)

Originally posted by The Valeyard
Hopefully, they cleaned up the ORIGINAL B&W Version. I wouldn't mind a decent copy of the movie.
All of the digital clean-up was apparently done to the black and white version, then it was colorized from that.

If you're curious, some comparison shots:

I wrote a review last night of the DVD. When Geoff posts it, I'll pop back with a link.
Old 03-11-04, 11:19 AM

The colorized versions appear to be purple and green smoke. Almost looks Batman-ish to me. Never seen this one, but heck yes, I'll be picking this one up; if nothing else but for the novelty and laughs.

edit: oh yah, and the price

-AC
Old 03-11-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by acostigan
The colorized versions appear to be purple and green smoke. Almost looks Batman-ish to me.
Every character has their own unique tinted smoke. There's a technical commentary on the DVD, and the color designer said she was aiming for a comic book look, so the Batman comparison is pretty apt.

My review's up for anyone that's bored -- http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9871
Old 03-11-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is going to be a fun release. I'm getting it for Mike's commentary alone.

4/20 release date is awesome though.
Old 03-11-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review, Adam. Thanks!
Old 03-11-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Here's my thoughts on it:

Mike Nelson is pretty damn funny. It's like watching MST3K without the silouttes. I can't wait to sit through his entire commentary.

The original B&W version is at the bottom the Special Features menu (the only way to access it). The image is a tad soft and the blacks are a bit darker that I would expect (but this might be because I'm testing it out at work and not on my system at home). The image seems to "wobble" at times and there is the occasional fleck or bit of dirt throughout but nothing horrible or distracting. Ironically, the flecks show through more in the colorized version.

For the most part, it's a solid image throughout (Again, I'm not watching this on my system. I'm just scanning through for an inital overview). It also has Chapter Stops (Since it was in the Bonus Section, I was afraid it would run through without Chapters). This is probably the best this film will ever look and 10 times better than a Public Domain transfer.

The original audio is very well done with little hiss (though a bit tinny at times). Overall, the dialogue is very clear.

Now for the Colorized Version....

The colorization is SO phoney-looking. But reading from the Off Color site "We did a major video restoration and then colorized the film in an over-the-top comic book style", I'm guessing this is what they were attempting it to look like.

Honestly, it looks no better than the colorization from the early 80s. Jarring and plain ugly. The only reason I'd watch it again would be because the commentaries are only available when watching the colorized version.

I don't have a 5.1 system at my office so I haven't listened to the DTS or Dolby digital tracks yet. I also haven't listened to the Legend Films commentary either. I'm very interested in what they have to say about the work they did.

I scanned through Grandpa's Marijuana Handbook and that Grandpa character is pretty kooky. Oh, and I love the song playing during the menus.

Overall, I'm happy I picked it up for the original B&W transfer and the Mike Nelson commentary. Especially the Nelson commentary! It's definately worth it!

I wish Legend Films luck with their future releases. Tho I won't pick up Night of the Living Dead nor Carnival of Souls (I own the Elite version of one and the Criterion of the other), I'm curious as to what their other releases will be.

Oh, and there's a couple of subliminal frames at 20:27:

A "4" and a "20".

Ahem. I assume that's how they'll make sure no one dupes their version to release in a "Public Domain" disc

Andrew

Last edited by The Valeyard; 03-11-04 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-11-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Honestly, it looks no better than the colorization from the early 80s.
Somewhat off topic: How has the technology changed over the last 20 years in terms of colorizing. I would think that the process is radically different now. Does anyone know?
Old 03-11-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
It's a pretty good track. Very MST3K-ish -- after the foreward, Mike only speaks when riffing. There are a lot of gaps between quips, and the hit/miss ratio isn't as strong as I'd like, but it's absolutely worth a listen for any MST3K fan and definitely worth the price of entry. (It's available for less than $8.50 shipped online, if you look around.)
I looked around, the cheapest I could find was $10.01 at DDD, where can I find it for less than $8.50?
Old 03-11-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I wish Legend Films luck with their future releases. Tho I won't pick up Night of the Living Dead nor Carnival of Souls (I own the Elite version of one and the Criterion of the other), I'm curious as to what their other releases will be...
...take a look here...

. . . . . .
Old 03-11-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never seen this film, but have heard a lot about it. I'll be picking this up for novelty value and because Mike Nelson rules.
Old 03-11-04, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Woah, i just saw clips from Grandpa's Marijuana Handbook Tuesday night in my Cult Films class. Funny, i saw Reefer Madness weeks ago in the same class. I might have to get this...
Old 03-11-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by flashburn
I looked around, the cheapest I could find was $10.01 at DDD, where can I find it for less than $8.50?
Yesterday at DVD Soon, but they've since bumped up their price.
Old 04-19-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Bumping this as a reminder that it comes out tomorrow. I just ordered it through DDD for $9.99.

Old 04-19-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got my copy today, looks great.