Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Question About "u-571" Dvd

Old 03-20-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I saw U-571 in a theatre, there was a scene where Bill Paxton is standing on top of his submarine and he glances over his shoulder, only to see a torpedo coming right at his boat. He mutters "Oh shit" right before the torpedo strikes and explodes. In my DVD copy, the "Oh shit" is missing. Does anyone else have this DVD with the missing line?
Old 03-20-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Are you sure you aren't misremembering this scene? I don't see his lips move, and it would seem strange to put a line in where you say, because the last shot before the explosion isn't on Bill Paxton. I checked my disk, however, and the line isn't there.
Old 03-20-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll tell you why I remember it so clearly. I liked the movie quite a lot, but my brother wasn't too keen on it and he especially made fun of the scene with Paxton muttering "Oh shit..." when he saw the torpedo. He thought someone in that situation would shout or yell or run for cover, not mumble "Oh shit." I asked him if would have preferred if Paxton had done that old tired cliche of yelling "Noooooooooooooo." HA! He didn't have an answer for that one! No, I do remember the line, but maybe my brother was not the only one who thought it looked silly. Maybe that's why it's missing from the DVD!
Old 03-20-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hmmm. It has been a while since this was in theaters, so I'm not sure, but I know that this forum would have been up in arms if there was anything cut from the DVD release.

Spoiler:
Doesn't Gary Oldman say "Oh shit" right before he blows up in The Professional?
Is it this he might be remembering?
Old 03-21-04, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fink, I forgot to thank you for your very fast response to my question and the effort you put into it, putting on the dvd, watching the scene, etc. That was very nice. You are probably right that the line does not come right before the explosion as I said earlier, but when he sees the torpedo approaching. I am 100% sure this line was in the theatrical version, at least the one I saw here in Los Angeles. I am determined to find out why it's missing from the DVD? Does anyone know?

(Incidentally, Fink, is something missing from your last reply here? What's that black bar and the question underneath it?)

Old 03-21-04, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ProfessorEcho
(Incidentally, Fink, is something missing from your last reply here? What's that black bar and the question underneath it?)
I'm not Fink, but here is what the black bar is for:

He is "masking" part of his response so as not to spoil a part of a movie for readers who might not have seen it yet (The movie is Leon: The Professional). Just use your mouse to click and drag over the black box, this will highlight the text inside it so you can read it.