Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Schinder's List - Exchange or Refund because of playback problem

Schinder's List - Exchange or Refund because of playback problem

Old 03-26-04, 01:09 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schinder's List - Exchange or Refund because of playback problem?

I know there's a couple of threads regarding playback problems. Well my copy has a playback problem and was wondering about a few things. Should I exchange it for another copy or get a refund and wait (hope) that a corrected disk is released? Does anyone know if Universal are addressing these playback problems.

BTW, the problem occurs on side 2 during the "Voices from the list" documentry, after 1:02:00 it doesn't play and freezes up. I've tried it on a couple of players and they have the same problem.

Last edited by Fok; 03-27-04 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-26-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd exchange it. If the second copy has the same problems, then I'd ask for my money back. DVD-18s (dual-sided, dual-layered discs) are prone to more problems than other formats.
Old 03-26-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to exchange it -- sometimes it's the luck of the draw if a disc is defective or not. Mine was; it had various problems playing chapter 14 and beyond, and on side two, there were random audio problems throughout. Also, "Voices from the List" wouldn't play at all. The screen would go black, the disc spun around a few times, and I got bumped back to main menu.

So I exchanged it, and the replacement disc plays fine.
Old 03-26-04, 09:26 AM

Mine completely froze a couple minutes in on the special featurette about the foundation. Couldn't fast forward or chapter forward. Everything else played fine. I bought mine off eBay though so exchanging would be a hassle (if it could be exchanged at all). Maybe there will be something to the rumor of Universal recalling these DVDs. It'll give me an excuse to send in my Back to the Future DVDs as well.
Old 03-26-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

USE A DAMN QUEsTION MARK WHEN ASKING A QUESTION AND NOT POSTNG IMPORTANT INFORMATION USEFUL TO EVERYONE!!

Reading the thread title makes one believe that you're posting information released by Universal Studios in regards to their offering an exchange or refund for defective dvds.
You'd think that after being a member of DvdTalk for 4 years you would know this already.
Old 03-26-04, 04:01 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SMART-ASS
USE A DAMN QUEsTION MARK WHEN ASKING A QUESTION AND NOT POSTNG IMPORTANT INFORMATION USEFUL TO EVERYONE!!

Reading the thread title makes one believe that you're posting information released by Universal Studios in regards to their offering an exchange or refund for defective dvds.
You'd think that after being a member of DvdTalk for 4 years you would know this already.
Calm down and take a pill or something for your own good. Thanks to those who had thoughtful replies.
Old 03-26-04, 06:56 PM

USE A DAMN CAPITAL "S" IN THE WORD 'QUESTION'! YOUR INITIAL STATEMENT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER PHRASED AS TWO SENTENCES!

BTW, Fok, if you want to, you can click edit up at the top of the thread and change the thread's heading title... I'm pretty sure that still works after people have posted to the thread!

Last edited by Axorr; 03-26-04 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-26-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
thanks for mentioning this, I didn't know anyone had problems with the extras. I just checked the time you listed and mine plays fine. Thanks!
Old 03-26-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, how did you come up with such a funny screen name ? I'm only asking because it doesn't seem to fit your personality at all...
Old 03-26-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Fok
Calm down and take a pill or something for your own good. Thanks to those who had thoughtful replies.
The thoughtful thing would be to use a question mark when asking a question. I get sick and tired of wasting my time reading threads that are not explained correctly in the thread title, either by not utilizing all the space for the description or by not using a QUEsTION mark. Now it's my turn to waste your time by making you read through my useless and uninformatve posts.
Old 03-27-04, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There were a lot of manufacturing errors with this title - which wouldn't have happened if they put out a 2-disc set with 2 DVD-9s, but I digress.

Return your copy to the place you bought it for an exchange.

There was talk in another thread about Universal doing a "recall" on this title, but that was complete and utter bullshit.
Old 03-27-04, 12:46 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thoughtful thing would be to use a question mark when asking a question. I get sick and tired of wasting my time reading threads that are not explained correctly in the thread title, either by not utilizing all the space for the description or by not using a QUEsTION mark. Now it's my turn to waste your time by making you read through my useless and uninformatve posts.
Calm down, calm down and relax. Postings like this ruin these great forums.

Last edited by Fok; 03-27-04 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-27-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully this thread isn't too derailed yet. Question concerning the packaging - Was anyone elses disk excessively dusty when you opened the package?. My shipment was sealed (got it from dv-depot who normally inspect alldiscs). When I opened it I was shocked that the disc was covered (rather evenly) with dust. Mine is defective as well... around chapter 16. Closer inspection of the disc looks as though there is damage, and the disc is also quite marked. Anyway, i'm sending mine back, and will attempt a reshipment.