Community
Search

A rant about Dual Releases - bare-bones + "Collector's Edition"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A rant about Duel Releases

I don't understand studious these days. First Red Dragon, then American Wedding + TCM-2003 and now Master and Commander. Why do they insist on releasing a lack-luster single disc version for $26.95 and a 2-disc Collecter's Set for $39.95. I am all for dual relaeses, but why not put the 1-disc at $19.95 and the 2-Disc at $29.95? I mean they are alienating the people who helped make DVDs what they are today by making them pay more because they like to have in-depth looks at how there favorite films are made. I mean studious use to release great 2-disc SE's at $24.95 all the time 2 years ago and now they make us pay for the better choice. This all started when Joe-666-Pack started complaing about "Them Black Bars" and studious started the whole Widescreen/Full Screen duel releases and now studios (ro stupios) are going even further by making fans pay twice as much for stuff that we use to get for half the price 1 year ago. I know everyone can argue "If you don't like the price don't buy it" or "Wait a few months and find it used" I am just afraid that the possible lackluster sales of these "Collector's Sets" might be used as a catalyst later to say that consumers don't want in-depth releases, just the standard HBO making-of and a few Deleted Scenes.

-Thanks for reading my demented thoughts-
Old 03-01-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just out of sheer wonder, what does this have to do with the release (or non-release for that matter) of the film Duel?

Okay, in all seriousness, I understand what you mean. I got lucky and got Red Dragon CH for pretty cheap, and I have no desire to own the AP movies. FOr future dual releases, I guess I'll just have to shop around to get the better deal.
Old 03-01-04, 08:39 PM

I don't see the 2 disk set going for anymore than $24.99 tops when it's released. I'm sure we'll see it for $19.99. That is not a bad deal.

doc
Old 03-01-04, 08:51 PM

i thought it was about the movie duel also. Perhaps you can change the title to "multiple releases"
Old 03-01-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's marketing. Waiting for the special edition isn't all that tough. especially when you know it's coming opposed to those blind sided double dips
Old 03-01-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's duel because thems' fightin' words!

So maybe we'd prefer ONLY a 2-disc higher priced release? No matter what they do, someone's gonna be unhappy.....
Old 03-01-04, 09:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 03-01-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't mind duel releases but I do have a problem with this setting a new standard for 2 disk pricing models. I just read the early DVDTalk review of the 2 disk set and although it sounds like the extras are worth owning there's plenty of other past releases with just as much content that sold for $29.99 MSRP and could be bought for $20 or less on release week.
Old 03-01-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think we can all agree, that 2 disc special edition or otherwise... just bring Duel to DVD!

Old 03-01-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shoot... I was hoping that the movie "Dual" was being released and the poster just misspelled it

I too, thought this was about the homonym movie Duel.

Too keep on track, I'm with you all the way JJE-187!
Old 03-02-04, 02:25 AM
Banned

Yes, this is one instance where spelling really matters. I also thought this thread was about Duel, which I have long awaited.
Old 03-03-04, 05:53 PM

Yes, this is one instance where spelling really matters. I also thought this thread was about Duel, which I have long awaited
So did I until I looked inside. I was a lucky person to have snagged a copy of "Duel" from Amazon when they were selling it some weeks ago.

As to duel releases, it is about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ baby!!!!
Old 03-04-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is all about money...plain and simple. I LIKE the fact that the studios are giving consumers options. I will almost always go for the deluxe edition, but I respect the fact that some people just don't want the extras and aren't willing to pay for them.

When I first got my DVD player, disc prices were pretty high. Paying $35-$40CDN for a single disc SE was not unheard of.... granted, with the wide acceptance of dvd we've been spoiled with some pretty damn good deals, but I don't think the pricing model studios are trying to switch to is outragous. For years Laserdisc cost almost triple what these studios are charging. With VHS going down the drain, studios need to have the "premium" releases that will net them more profit (but also cost more money to make, due to extras) but also the "vanilla" editions for the VHS J6P who don't care about extras, only about saving a few bucks.

I realize it's not a nice trend to happen NOW...with us getting used to cheap 2 disc SE's...but I think the switch is justifiable and was inevitable.

MATT
Old 03-04-04, 11:07 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate double dipping as much as anyone else. Studio's are just too greedy and have forgotten what us DVD buyers have done for them.

As long as we're given a choice, then I don't care how many releases there are for a movie. For instance, Lord of the Rings. We all knew a Extended version was going to be released, some people chose to buy both and others just one.
Old 03-04-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate double dipping as much as anyone else. Studio's are just too greedy and have forgotten what us DVD buyers have done for them
I think it's more along the lines of pleasing the fans. Sure on paper it sounds wrong to release one dvd and then release a better one. Look at it through this perspective. Not everyone wants a collectors edition with all the bells and whistles. Some folks don't even care about all that. By releasing the bare bones they fill the market that only wants that and isn't willing to pay a higher charge for a fully decked out collectors edition that hard core fans of the film will like.

Just be an informed consumer and buy the collectors version if you really think it's an issue.
Old 03-04-04, 11:25 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I think it's more along the lines of pleasing the fans. Sure on paper it sounds wrong to release one dvd and then release a better one. Look at it through this perspective. Not everyone wants a collectors edition with all the bells and whistles. Some folks don't even care about all that. By releasing the bare bones they fill the market that only wants that and isn't willing to pay a higher charge for a fully decked out collectors edition that hard core fans of the film will like.

Just be an informed consumer and buy the collectors version if you really think it's an issue.
Good point. As long as we're given a choice though, a lot of studio's just suprise us with re-releases, there's no choice there.
Old 03-04-04, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Fok
Good point. As long as we're given a choice though, a lot of studio's just suprise us with re-releases, there's no choice there.
My thought exactly.
I think two different versions at the same time to choose from is way better than getting a half-decent, so-called "Special Edition" first, and some "Ultimate Edition" 6 months later.