Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

My new Stargate SG-1, Season 1 Cover Art

Old 02-20-04, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally got frustrated enough with the lack of Stargate Season Cover Art that I got ambitious enough to make my own. (Loosely inspired by Michael Corvin’s Stargate cover art.)

As is always the case when I make cover art, it is first and foremost made for me. I own up to Season 4 so it is my goal to make cover art at least up to that point. I am also working on inserts that will briefly describe each episode.

Thoughts, comments, or suggestions?

Work in Progress:

Last edited by Commander Dan; 03-10-04 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-20-04, 10:07 PM
Banned

Absolutely brilliant work! Nice design layout and theme.
Old 02-20-04, 11:02 PM

Many thanks. After getting the first one done, it was pretty easy to start cranking out the later seasons: Just changes in some text here and a few pictures there.

Die-hard Stargate fans should recognize the glyphs at the top of each spine, and even after only four seasons should know what the address is that I am spelling. I don’t know what I will do if and when I get to season 8.

The back was inspired by the computer systems in the SGC. Volume lists are color-coded to match their corresponding discs.

Descriptive “season” text in the center of the gate diagram is lifted from Gateworld.net, as are some graphics. Additional graphics are from “Joy’s Stargate SG1 Pages,” Stargatesg1971.com, and SciFi.com.

I thought an insert with a short synopsis for each episode would be prudent so when pulling the set, one can figure out what episode is on what disc. While I consider myself a pretty big fan, I don’t always associate the title with the actual episode content.

I am pretty pleased with these, though I have not made a test printing as of yet. I will probably take another day or so to look them over, tweak them, and then submit them to DVDCoverArt. I will probably go ahead and submit the covers even though the inserts are not done yet. If webspace permits I will also make them available via my website.

Last edited by Commander Dan; 02-27-04 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-21-04, 02:40 AM
Banned

What is the style of case your beautiful covers are made to fit for?
Absolutely brilliant, bang-up job on these!
Old 02-21-04, 02:44 AM
Banned

Also, since I have a hard time lining up my custom covers for inserting in the sleeve, are you going to have guidlines as to where the EXACT spine should be for these so I won't mess it up in my collection.
I literally can't stop about how much your cutom covers kick ass!
Old 02-21-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Loosely inspired? How about a hack job of the covers I did.

After getting the first one done, it was pretty easy to start cranking out the later seasons: Just changes in some text here and a few pictures there.
No kidding, I already did all the work for you. Probably only took an hour or so to crank all those out. Hard work indeed.

First, I didn't use any images from the web. I bought materials for all my images and scanned in for perfection. So having the EXACT same photos it is quite obvious where they came from. Do some work yourself, do some screengrabs, scour the web. Just don't rip off someone elses work and call it your own. You can claim you got them elsewhere, but the way the images are cropped, color adjusted and such... an artist knows his work.

Second, if you are going to rip them off like that, rearrange it and call it your own, at least get it right. All the images I used were in order corresponding to their episode. They weren't just thrown on there.

Third...
Mine aren't gone permenantly. It was a temporary thing. They should be back soon. Stay tuned for season 4.

Fourth, the only thing original is the stargate coordinates on the spine. Nice touch, wish I had done that. I can always touch up mine to add them I guess, since appropriating doesn't seem to be a concern here.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 02-21-04 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-21-04, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Loosely inspired? How about a hack job of the covers I did.
O.K. then, “largely inspired.” I meant no disrespect or wish to create no ill will. I liked the covers created by you, and wished to simply expand upon that theme.

I must take issue, however, with my work being called a “hack job” as these covers were created from scratch. Indeed, the front was gleaned from SciFi.com: http://www.scifi.com/stargate/downlo...2_1152x870.jpg, as were two of the SG-1 team photos: http://www.scifi.com/stargate/downlo...4_1152x870.jpg
http://www.scifi.com/stargate/downlo...8_1152x870.jpg
Additional SG-1 team photos, SG logos, glyph fonts, and Stargate fonts, are from Joy’s Stargate SG-1 Pages (http://home.kendra.com/urania/stargate_sg1/stargate.htm)

Additional logos are from the logo zip file available on DVDCoverArt. The gate diamgram on the back is from the SGC Dialing Program (version 4.1) by ST Productions.

To be fair and give credit where credit is certainly due, the 4 episodic photos on the Season 1 set, 4 on the Season 2 set, and 4 on the Season 3 set, are indeed, lifted from Corvin’s Stargate cover art. Those images, however, are the ONLY images that came form his work.

However, given Michael Corvin’s apparent dissatisfaction, I am in the process of gleaning additional images from Gateworld.net and Stargatesg1971.com (many that are, in fact, the same photos as seen on Corvin’s Cover Art) and I will use those instead. Upon completion of replacing those 12 images (4 per cover), no material whatsoever will thereafter have been taken from Michael Corvin’s Stargate cover art.

Already, my Season 4 set has no material taken from Corvin's Cover Art. Episodic images from my Season 4 set are all from Gateworld.net and Stargatesg1971.com. All text was typed using either the Stargate Font or Arial Font. Stargate titles have been embossed using Photoshop.

In creating the front cover, I layered two of the same SciFi Stargate images, and using Photoshop, I “layer masked” one to remove the “whoosh effect” and leave only the gate, which was layered on top. I was then able to take the underlying image and change the “hue” of the whoosh effect as need be per season, thereby leaving the gate it’s original color. Season Set colors are based upon the color of the Season Sets as produced by MGM (as is Michael Corvin’s cover art, I presume).

The actual image is rotated 90 degrees clockwise from its original position. While this puts the “top” chevron on the right side, this orientation simply worked better, in my estimation. It also worked out well that the point where the gate begins to become a schematic folds over onto the spine.

To Michael: If, indeed, you want further “proof” of my “work,” then I will be happy to email the PSD files to you, though they are somewhat large with many layers. (around 35 MB each).

Second, if you are going to rip them off like that, rearrange it and call it your own, at least get it right. All the images I used were in order corresponding to their episode. They weren't just thrown on there.
All episode numbers, volume numbers, and order of listing are as they are in the season sets as produced by MGM. Note that some episodes are out of “production order” in the sets.

Fourth, the only thing original is the stargate coordinates on the spine. Nice touch, wish I had done that. I can always touch up mine to add them I guess, since appropriating doesn't seem to be a concern here.
Not at all. If you like the idea, I say go for it! To me these covers are all about enjoyment, and if others can enjoy them as well, I am more than willing to share: not just in the work itself, but also in the ideas and concepts behind it!

Last edited by Commander Dan; 02-27-04 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-21-04, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by RaynMan2019
What is the style of case your beautiful covers are made to fit for?
Absolutely brilliant, bang-up job on these!
A five-disc case.
Old 02-21-04, 08:05 PM
Banned

Thank you, Commander. Now I know which type of case to purchase!
Old 02-21-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Alright. My bad. I was having a bad morning and I ended up taking it out on someone I don't even know. Sorry. Enjoy.
Old 02-22-04, 01:50 AM

My covers have been updated and are now "100% independently created." See preliminary images at top of thread.

Once again, any suggestions and/or comments are welcome before the covers are “set in stone,” so to speak.

Last edited by Commander Dan; 02-26-04 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 02:42 PM
Banned

Mebbe for the year you could look up on the backs for each season's on the back of each singular, or in the season sets, as to which DVD release as to what the actual copyright date is and if, in fact, there are two corresponding years for the season.
I.E. if season 'X' was both 1993 AND 1994, both '93 AND '94 would go in the (year?) part. Since 1993 is earlier than 1994...
FINAL: it would in fact be '1993 and/& 1994' for each respective basis for the copyright year.
Coolies!
Old 02-26-04, 02:44 PM

For what it’s worth, Seasons 1-5, Inserts for Seasons 1-5, and Stargate (the movie) are currently up at DVDCoverArt.com.

Season 6 (and its insert) will be finished whenever I can confirm the following:
Credit Information
Special Features
Logos and Ratings
Copyright year(s)

Last edited by Commander Dan; 03-01-04 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-04-04, 12:15 PM

Season 6 cover art and insert are now available at DVDCoverArt.com.

Last edited by Commander Dan; 03-09-04 at 11:02 AM.