Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone used CDWrap sticky-protectors on their DVDs? (Data side!)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I just received the latest Cyberguys catalog today and inside they have an ad for these CDWraps. It says "removable and replacable--does not effect disk readability." OK, then they show someone sticking these things on the DATA side of their DVD disk!

Sure it's supposed to prevent against scratches, but I'm pretty skeptical here, especially since they're only 50 cents each. Anyone use them?

Protect CD, CD-R, CD-RW, Music CD, and DVD disks from scratches with our special optically clear disk shields. These crystal-clear covers are placed over the data side of the disk, and then fastened using a special adhesive center ring.

• Ideal for shared disks
• Low cost data security
• Removable and replaceable
• Does not effect disk readability
Old 01-26-04, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on playback issues when using lables on DVD-Rs I would skip this product.
Old 01-26-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its a bad idea to stick any kind of label on a DVD. They spin very fast and this kind of thing can cause them to be off balance. As posted above, even putting a label on the top of a DVD-R is a bad idea.
Old 01-26-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny, I’ve never had a problem with labels.

Mechanically speaking, there’s no reason they would cause a problem.

And, other than some guys who post on the internet that they swear labels caused grief, I’ve yet to read anything backing this up.

There are also those who swear using a marker pen on the non-data side will corrupt the data. Especially if it’s blue.

If anybody can provide proof from a reliable source that labels cause problems, I’ll be happy to kiss their a** on Hollywood and Vine.

Having said that, I’m not warming to the idea posed by this thread. And I can’t for the life of me come up with a good reason.
Old 01-26-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
Funny, I’ve never had a problem with labels.

Mechanically speaking, there’s no reason they would cause a problem.

When you get one that wobbles on you the mechanical reason becomes very clear. I've seen the results and it can seriously damage the player as well as the disc. I would recommend using hub labels only or the best solution is a printer to print directly to the disc, but maybe you will continue to not have any problems.

I'm really not sure if certain players are better at holding the discs steady or if its just a matter of the way the labels are applied or the type of labels. I've heard the metal foil ones rarely give people problems. Hopefully someone will research this one day trying different types of labels and players and give a definite answer.

It is a fact that DVDs spin much faster than CDs and balance is important. A label can cause a DVD to wobble and the results can be anything from freeze ups to the disc rattling badly inside the player. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but its hardly worth the risk in my opinion.

I believe Blockbuster stopped using their security labels directly on the DVDs because of the playback problems they caused.

Last edited by darkside; 01-26-04 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by darkside
It is a fact that DVDs spin much faster than CDs
If it’s a “fact,” you shouldn’t have any problem providing “proof.” Make sure you include specs for 48x burners when you present your “facts.”

The problems you mention can indeed happen at extreme speeds. DVDs do not travel at anywhere near the speeds data CDs are capable of. If you’re going to tell me that labels on data CDs are a “bad idea,” then I’d have to ask where the complaints are hiding.

The myth that labels cause DVD problems is just that: a myth. There isn’t a major studio in existence that has not produced DVDs with authoring problems.

So, naturally, when Joe Smith from Compton swears his problems are due to labels, I’m all ears.

There are plenty enough mysteries that elude the professionals. Folks who blame labels are just guessing.
Old 01-27-04, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
To answer the OP, I would not recommend applying anything with adhesive to the data side of the disc.

This same company makes "protective" plastic sheets for PDAs, and when you're left with a greasy/sticky film on the screen (or disc in this case) after having removed one, well, you'll be wishing you'd saved your 50 cents.