Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Alien Quadrilogy Box Question

Old 12-26-03, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not purchased the Alien Quadrilogy yet and there is one thing keeping me away from it... the packaging. I really don't like the huge digipak. I do like the outer box though. I would like to get custom covers for them and put the keepcases in the outerbox. What combination of keepcases would fit the box right? 9 Slims? 5 normal sizes cases? Any help would be appreciated. thank you.
Old 12-26-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure was hoping we got another alien Quad thread out there tonight. It's pretty clear that everyone got it this christmas. fox sure must be happy.

you can try nice slims as I doubt five double disc would fit
Old 01-05-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone have a picture of the thing all opened up? I'd like to see how the inside looks.
Old 01-05-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Snowmaker
Does anyone have a picture of the thing all opened up? I'd like to see how the inside looks.
Not a lot of detail, but if you want an idea of the scope:

There are large and small images of characters from all of the movies both underneath each DVD and on the backside of each flap. If you want, I'll see about scanning some of them tonight.

It's certainly a nice-looking package, but I picked up a set of double DVD cases to hold them because it's just too much trouble to get the discs out.
Old 01-05-04, 10:22 AM

Yep, when I first commented on the packaging earlier last month, a lot of ppl thought that the packaging type was great. Now I can barely find anyone who actually likes the digipack.
Old 01-05-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by flagstone
Not a lot of detail, but if you want an idea of the scope:

There are large and small images of characters from all of the movies both underneath each DVD and on the backside of each flap. If you want, I'll see about scanning some of them tonight.

It's certainly a nice-looking package, but I picked up a set of double DVD cases to hold them because it's just too much trouble to get the discs out.
Thanks. I just wanted to get an idea of how long it looks folded out. I think I'd have to put the extension in my kitchen table just to have a place to lay it out.

I might just buy the individual releases. I doubt the 9th disk is really worth the hassle.
Old 01-05-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I was lucky to get one in perfect condition and the packaging is kind of nice. It really isn't that much of a pain because you can fold either side out depending on if you're watching Alien 1&2 or 3&4. The box itself is attractive and looks nice next to my Scream Collection on the shelf. If I were you I'd just stick with the box.
Old 01-05-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn! That would be a nightmare to unfold. They should have made it like the Babylon 5 sets, book style. Oh well, when you gotta have it you gotta have it. I’ll get it tomorrow along with Underworld and B5.
Old 01-05-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it's only a nightmare if you make it one. my friend and I bought our's on the same day and opened them together whilst hanging out. he was in such a piss-ass hurry that he fumbled around, losing discs off the hubs...and cussing the thing left and right. I took a little more time and had no problem and still have none. it's a slight time investment to open it right, and grab the disc you want....but still. I love the box and it looks pretty killer all spined out with it's thickness.
Old 01-05-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Willh51
The box itself is attractive and looks nice next to my Scream Collection on the shelf. If I were you I'd just stick with the box.
Oh yeah, there's no doubt about the display-worthiness of the box - the "hologram"-like effect looks great, and it's on my display shelf next to the LOTR EE boxes and the Band of Brothers tin. I'd just rather not ding up the box and have to deal with unfolding it when getting out one of the discs.
Old 01-05-04, 12:47 PM
Cool New Member

How do you post pics in threads? I've got a couple of shots of the lovely Region 2 release, but I don't know how to post them!!!!
Old 01-05-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Timemeddler
How do you post pics in threads? I've got a couple of shots of the lovely Region 2 release, but I don't know how to post them!!!!
You have to have them uploaded to a site that will host them first.
Old 01-05-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I want to know is this:

Is the 9th disk even worth taking into account when trying to decide between the box or the individual releases? What's even on it?
Old 01-05-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I think the 9th disc is cool, and I am glad to have it. As for you, you may not think it's that big of a deal. It includes:

An experience in Terror featurette on Alien
Ridley Scott Q&A
Notes/ Production Info
Many trailors, tv spots, and promos
Feature on an "Alien" obsessed fan

It's got quite a bit of nice stuff, I want to watch the documentary soon and I liked seeing all the trailors, especially the one with "The Bitch is Back." I didn't know they could say that!
Old 01-05-04, 06:04 PM

Don't forget all of the extras that were on the Alien and Aliens lasers.
Old 01-05-04, 06:44 PM

NexPak Slims

Since you asked about slims, I just tried fitting 9 NexPak slims (from my Homicide: Life on the Street boxed sets) into the Quadrilogy case. They'll go in, but it's too tight. The only way to get 'em out is to open the other side of the box and push them out. The box is also too deep for them to fit appropriately.
Old 01-05-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe Paul Champagne will make a new case for the Quad. If he does, I'll scoop that up. He did a wonderful job for his new LOTR and Matrix cases. I already have a few of his for my collection.
Old 01-05-04, 08:12 PM

I think region 2 has the advantage over region 1. The region 2 release case is done in a book form with 2 dvds per leaf and it works great. Just flick through the plastic green pages and pick the dvd you want.
Old 01-05-04, 09:14 PM

This is one of the items at ebay right now. I like the book type form, but not the cover.
Old 01-05-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As promised above, I threw a couple of quickie scans of some of the interior images from the AQ box at this web site (which I hope works correctly - this is my first time trying out the Epson site). Sorry - I didn't scan all eleven feet of images
Old 01-06-04, 04:44 AM
Banned

Its the best DVD set ever...packaging be damned...and its not that bad...its quite glorious once folded out...
Old 01-06-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the box. Just rearrange the discs to make it easier to get your favorite movies.

I went (9-6-2-5-1-3-7-4-8-Insert). That way the first fold gives me Alien and Aliens my two favorites.