Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Space Ghost: Coast to Coast- opinions & any chance of vol. 2?

Old 01-01-04, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search and couldn't find any information about Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

I watched the dvd a few weeks ago and felt it was very funny and definitely ranks as one of the most hilarious animated show ever made (up there with Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead & South Park). I was wondering what everyone thought of the dvd. Every episode was great except for the storytelling issue- what was up with that? Is there any chance that a volume 2 will ever be released? I would love to see the Telethon episode on dvd!
Old 01-01-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I love it, one of my favorite dvds of 2003. I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if a second volume isn't released.
Old 01-01-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it was posted by someone that the sales were poor and Warner may only release best of discs in the future for Space Ghost. Getting the rights from the actors involved in the episodes was also a problem.
Old 01-01-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't it missing some episodes anyways? give me uncut seasons
Old 01-01-04, 08:10 PM

still hoping for Sealab: 2021
Old 01-01-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Wasn't it missing some episodes anyways? give me uncut seasons
It will never happen. They cannot clear rights from all the actors for all the episodes, so complete season sets will never be a reality. This is why Adult Swim recently aired all the season one episodes not on the DVD set and encouraged...yes, encoraged....bootleggers to get their VCRs and DVD-Rs ready.
Old 01-01-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well I have my pirated copies on my Hard drive, so I'll be content for a while.
Old 01-01-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I think it was posted by someone that the sales were poor and Warner may only release best of discs in the future for Space Ghost.
I can see why the sales were poor. I have yet to find it at Best Buy, Circuit City, CostCo, Sam's, Wal-Mart, or Target. And I live in a major metropolitan area (DFW), where I have visited many stores without a sign of the discs. Mine has been on backorder at DeepDiscountDVD since December the 1st! Hard to sale product that is unavailable to the public.
Old 01-02-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved it, hope there's more to come!
Old 01-02-04, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SCHMEGGA
I can see why the sales were poor. I have yet to find it at Best Buy, Circuit City, CostCo, Sam's, Wal-Mart, or Target. And I live in a major metropolitan area (DFW), where I have visited many stores without a sign of the discs. Mine has been on backorder at DeepDiscountDVD since December the 1st! Hard to sale product that is unavailable to the public.
Yes, and it only gets worse with Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Simply not available anywhere.
Old 01-02-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you guys sure it wasnt just sold out, and not available, the best buy i was out i got the last of each copy and i was there like 6:30 7:00 at night on the day it came out
Old 01-02-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Me007gold
you guys sure it wasnt just sold out, and not available, the best buy i was out i got the last of each copy and i was there like 6:30 7:00 at night on the day it came out
Yes, I guess that's exactly what I'm saying. They sold out, and haven't gotten the stock to replace them yet. It looks to me as if the distributor underestimated the sales of these discs. Which sounds to me like sales were really good, but people on this thread seem to think otherwise. Is there anywhere on the Internet that one can actually check to see what the sales were like on these titles?
Old 01-02-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm still waiting for my copies as well, so the shortage thing makes sense.

Ned Hastings is supposed to be the source of the information that future Space Ghost sets will only be best ofs. I think getting the rights to episodes is probably the issue and not sales though.

Last edited by darkside; 01-02-04 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-02-04, 11:12 AM
Banned

I don't understand why this was not more widely distributed. Warner comes up with BS about how it sold poorly but my local Best Buy and Circuit City's recieved a combined 3 copies (That equates to 2 Best Buy stores that got none, two Circuit City's that got none, one Circuit City that got one copy, and one Best BUy that got two copies). Of course, I didn't manage to get a copy due to someone in Best Buy with me picking up their last copy... I would say that at least in my area the set sold for as well as it possibly could have.
Old 01-02-04, 11:18 AM

I've only seen one copy of Aqua Teen Hunger Force in my entire town... and I bought it for my sister for a Christmas present... I thought I'd be able to find one for myself, but I still haven't!
Old 01-02-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
I don't understand why this was not more widely distributed. Warner comes up with BS about how it sold poorly but my local Best Buy and Circuit City's recieved a combined 3 copies (That equates to 2 Best Buy stores that got none, two Circuit City's that got none, one Circuit City that got one copy, and one Best BUy that got two copies). Of course, I didn't manage to get a copy due to someone in Best Buy with me picking up their last copy... I would say that at least in my area the set sold for as well as it possibly could have.
Because it's Warner. They are absolute morons when it comes to any kind of animation on DVD. I doubt if stores got it in at all they got more than a couple copies. It looks like this and ATHF have sold well on amazon.com, though. In an ideal world, these would be available in plentiful copies at Best Buy and other stories, and in the TV Shows section, not slid between Spongebob and Spot the Dog in the kiddie section at Best Buy. And these should be distributed to college towns and sold in independet record stores as well, and displayed prominently.
Old 01-03-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
Oh what was that, Ted? Who are you on about now? It isn't more of that story of the lunatic who was crucified and said he would die for our sins, now, is it? Come on you don't really believe all that, do you?
Sorry to change the subject, but calhoun07, I love your signature! Where does this quote come from?
Old 01-05-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by evenswr
Sorry to change the subject, but calhoun07, I love your signature! Where does this quote come from?
Father Ted, the British sitcom.
Old 01-05-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
Father Ted, the British sitcom.
Ah, makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
I was at Best Buy last night and they had more than 10 copies of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I didn't see any of Space Ghost though.
Old 01-05-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by acostigan
still hoping for Sealab: 2021
Same here. I am grateful for the wonderful Aqua Teen and Spaceghost sets though.
Old 01-05-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man oh man, don't even tell me they aren't going to be releasing any more?!?!? This is one of my all time favorites. I was so happy that it came out on DVD, and disapointed that they didn't do commentaries on every episode (They're only 10 minutes for crying out loud)

Why would they need the actors rights? Does Simpsons need the actors rights that do voices before they can release the episodes on DVD? I find that hard to believe.
Old 01-06-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numes
Why would they need the actors rights? Does Simpsons need the actors rights that do voices before they can release the episodes on DVD? I find that hard to believe.
Actually, that's a good point. Do they need permission from the guests on the Simpsons (Michael Jackson, Sting, Dustin Hoffman, etc.) before releasing the episodes on DVD? I would assume so, but you'd think that would make it a clearance nightmare. Maybe the relase you sign to appear on the Simpsons is written by better lawyers than the one for Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Anyway, just thought I'd also mention that my order from Amazon.com (Space Ghost & Aqua Teen Hunger Force) shipped today. And now, Aqua Teen Hunger Force shows up as "Usually ships within 24 hours."

Last edited by evenswr; 01-06-04 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-06-04, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

The two sets (Aqua Teen & Space Ghost) are really good. My only wish is that there were some more extras and commentaries. And I thought I've heard that they're actually selling quite well. The weird thing to me, is that most places I've seen them at put them under the "Family/Kids" section. Thus making them harder to find because anyone who's a fan of the shows knows they're anything but shows for the whole family.
Old 01-06-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally posted by Numes
Man oh man, don't even tell me they aren't going to be releasing any more?!?!? This is one of my all time favorites. I was so happy that it came out on DVD, and disapointed that they didn't do commentaries on every episode (They're only 10 minutes for crying out loud)

If you watch Adult Swim, they had one of their cards up a few weeks ago that basically said they couldn't afford some of the actors for certain episodes, so they left them off. They then said that they would be running those episodes this month on AS and to get your VCR's ready.