Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

My Big Fat Greek Life, King of Queens Coming To DVD!

My Big Fat Greek Life, King of Queens Coming To DVD!

Old 09-09-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Great Comedy Series and An Awful Comedy Series Come To DVD!

From DVDFile:

Kicking off this week's news is the latest batch of announcements from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, all streeting on November 18th. From their vast library of television properties comes My Big Fat Greek Life: The Entire Series, or, how not to turn a blockbuster movie into a television show. This single-disc collection features every episode of this short-lived spin-off presented in 4:3 full screen and Dolby 2.0 surround.

Also making its DVD debut is The King of Queens: The Complete First Season, a three-disc set that is also presented in 4:3 full screen and Dolby 2.0. There are no extras on either collection except episode synopses. Retail is $24.95 and $39.95, respectively.

IMO, King Of Queens is one of the top two best comedies on TV now, for quality and well as cnosistency (the other is Scrubs). BFGL was a disaster from the start (hated the movie as well).
Old 09-09-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may consider getting King of Queens. This is one of the only shows on TV that I actually try to watch or even care about at all. Besides King of Queens I like That 70's Show but I'm always busy when it's on.
Old 09-09-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I never saw BFGL, BFGW, or KoQ, but my perception of BFGL was 'Millionaire syndrome', ie, what happened when Who Wants to Be a Millionaire got big. Rush it through and shove it down our throat. Add to that the impatience that the networks have when a show isn't an insta-hit and they get cancelled after 3 episodes.

That said, I do like the growing trend of tv shows on dvd, even/including/especially short-lived shows. You've gotta think that *somebody* out there liked any show, and after putting a bunch of money and time into a show, why just throw it away, at least slap it on a DVD and ask 20-40 bucks for it. Heck, maybe at least Her Big Fat Greek Family will each buy a copy, and she'll get some royalties out of it

In the case of some shows, I don't think they should churn to dvd that quickly, at least when the show is being syndicated [for instance, my local network is currently playing season 3 of the Simpsons in their second slot. They're all on my PVR, so I have less motivation to buy the DVD. Same happened with Futurama; between PVR and Cartoon Network's rerunning of the series, I didn't get either season.]

<--awaiting Dilbert and UCB on DVD...
Old 09-09-03, 11:55 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm surprised that My Big Fat Greek Life is even getting a DVD release.
Old 09-09-03, 12:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oh come on, I wouldn't call The King of Queens "awful."
Old 09-09-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts
I assume it must be cancelled by now since I haven't heard anything about it in ages. I saw the first one or two episodes. Anyone have any idea how long this actually ran (how many episodes?)
Old 09-09-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Oh come on, I wouldn't call The King of Queens "awful."
He meant it the other way around. He said My Big Fat Greek Life was awful and King of Queens was great.
Old 09-09-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Void
He meant it the other way around. He said My Big Fat Greek Life was awful and King of Queens was great.
Void, this is sarcasm. Sarcasm, this is Void.

I'm glad the two of you could meet.
Old 09-09-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

great news about king of queens, i love the show! one of the best on tv right now...

surprised about MBFGL, why even bother???
Old 09-09-03, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I assume it must be cancelled by now since I haven't heard anything about it in ages. I saw the first one or two episodes. Anyone have any idea how long this actually ran (how many episodes?)

In The spec it's said 7 episodes one disc for season one.

I can't wait for King Of Queens But couldn't care less about the other one.
Old 09-09-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
I'm surprised that My Big Fat Greek Life is even getting a DVD release.
I'm sure CBS had to pay a bundle to air it in the first place. They're probably just trying to recoup their losses.

Or maybe it was built into the contract that this would get a DVD release.
Old 09-09-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jason
I'm sure CBS had to pay a bundle to air it in the first place. They're probably just trying to recoup their losses.

Or maybe it was built into the contract that this would get a DVD release.
I figured it has to be contractural. I mean, what else makes sense in a world where we would sooner see the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie released as a Criterion Collection and still not have Mary Tyler Moore Season Two or Larry Sanders Season Two or Twin Peaks Season Two?
Old 09-09-03, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
When did the KoQ start running in HD? I thought I've been watching it that way from the beginning...
Old 09-09-03, 03:59 PM

Ooo, thanks for the news. My mom might be interested in both of these, for some reason that lady loves CBS comedies.
Old 09-09-03, 03:59 PM

King of Queens took over the Monday night non-football crown from Raymond a long time ago; actually, in a world full of crappy reality shows, I would say KoQ is probably THE best show still running...I will definitely buy this (barebones and all) and I hope its move to Wednesday doesnt hurt its ratings...
Old 09-09-03, 11:20 PM

Let's see...I think there are eight episodes of Greek Wedding in their season and there were eight in the Sex and the City, Season 5. Does that mean Greek Wedding will have a $49.95 list price, too?