Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

SPY KIDS question...

SPY KIDS question...

Old 08-03-03, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPY KIDS question...

Does anyone know if in the wake of the new SPY KIDS film currently in theatres, if the original picture will get a re-release
on DVD as a SE? I recall the film being reissued to theatres with additional footage that never made it to the initial DVD release.
I really enjoyed SPY KIDS 3-D: GAME OVER and have held off buying the original because of its poor transfer. This third installment, as with the second film, is 24p HD originated and looks stunning. I saw it yesterday, in a DLP theatre, and all I can say is WOW! Has anyone heard about a reissue of the first disc?
Old 08-03-03, 05:25 AM

There was talk of a new special edition of Spy Kids 1 when Spy Kids 3-D was released.
No details are known but I think you can expect some more info when they announce Spy Kids 3-D for dvd release early next year.
Old 08-03-03, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the news flash, Quinty. Should I pick up the second picture or wait for a possible box-set of the entire collection next year?
Old 08-03-03, 06:38 AM

I'm waiting for the inevitable boxset.
Old 08-03-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had thought that originally Robert Rodriguez wanted to release all 3 films on dvd at the same time in a big Special Edition boxset which is why he didn't do any extras for the first one. The studio told him that they didn't want to wait 3 years to release it and put it out in a bare bones release. I believe that we can expect to see a Spy Kids SE probably sometime next year, but only in the trilogy box set.
Old 08-03-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great, I can't wait!
Old 08-03-03, 09:57 PM
Banned

I don't personally have the original "Spy Kids" DVD but this is the first I've ever heard of a "poor transfer" on the title. In fact, I've seen posts by people comparing it to a SuperBit title.
Old 08-03-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Already have both of the DVD and will not give any studio my money by "Upgrading" the DVDs.

I will buy the 3rd movie on DVD and be happy.

Does anyone know if the SK 3D DVD will have 3D Video and 3D glasses?
Old 08-04-03, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GuruAskew, I have a Samsung, HD, DLP rear projector and boy does the original disc suck! The edge enhancement is horrible! As I mentioned in my post, the two sequels were HD, 24p originated so the picture quality is outstanding. The budget for the first picture, shot on film, was low and so are the production values. However, that's no excuse for such a poor DVD transfer plagued with artifacts and halos - other than the fact that Dimension Video knew that they would be revisiting this title at a later date. I borrowed the second film from a good friend and the picture quality is outstanding. I know that when the third picture is released that it will look even better than the second, as the digital, 24p technology keeps getting better and better. I look forward to a definitive box-set in the near future.
Old 08-04-03, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I had thought that originally Robert Rodriguez wanted to release all 3 films on dvd at the same time in a big Special Edition boxset which is why he didn't do any extras for the first one. The studio told him that they didn't want to wait 3 years to release it and put it out in a bare bones release. I believe that we can expect to see a Spy Kids SE probably sometime next year, but only in the trilogy box set.
While promoting the film over in the uk, RR has been dropping these hints again. He also said he's gonna try and get a 10 minute film school onto every one of his dvds.
Old 08-04-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, the DVD of SPY KIDS 3-D will include the 3-D version and glasses. I bet there will be a flat version included on the disc as well, which according tot he trade papers, will be streeting in March.