Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Out of curiousity, who is NOT buying Indiana Jones?

Old 08-01-03, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious since pretty much every wish list i peruse seems to have indy on it.
Old 08-01-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not. I've never seen any of the Indy films, and I've never had a desire to.

Rob
Old 08-01-03, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by RobCA
I'm not. I've never seen any of the Indy films, and I've never had a desire to.

Rob
LIAR!!!
Old 08-01-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL, it's the truth. I've never seen any of the Star Wars films either.

Rob
Old 08-01-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may or may not. I liked Raiders of the Lost Ark, but there are other DVDs I want more. So I'm undecided as of now.
Old 08-01-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to, but I'm going to be broke come fall semester. Maybe a bit on down the road, though.
Old 08-02-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only ever seen Last Crusade on TV. I will get the movies on DVD.
Old 08-02-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like them, but probably not. Not sure I want to spend the money.
Old 08-02-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With BTTF out, even with the goofs, and Indy coming out I don't really care when we see the orginal Star Wars films.

Ordered my Indy DVDs the other night. I was going to wait and see what the B&M price was but I had a coupon and GC. I looked forward to seeing how cleaned up they are.
Old 08-02-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't plan on it but then my wife saw an ad for them and completely freaked out. I didn't even know she liked them that much.
I do like the Temple of Doom but the others i really didn't care for.
Old 08-02-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll probably end up getting it eventually, but I'm not frothing at the mouth for it like a lot of people here. There's a real good chance I won't bother picking it up the week it comes out, unless there's a real amazing deal at Best Buy or somewhere. As with "Back to the Future," I really like only the first Indy movie and am not thrilled about having to buy the trilogy just to get the first one.
Old 08-02-03, 12:40 AM

Zero interest here.

I've never seen any of the films. And Spielberg wouldn't even make my Top 50 Directors list (if I had one). (I only saw E.T. for the first time a few weeks ago--and I was 20 when it came out.)

No hard feelings towards people who are very excited about this release (after all, I'm in the minority, big time). Hope it turns out nicely.
Old 08-02-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most likely a "No" vote from me, at least for the forseeable future. I only liked the first one, and not even it all that much. Sorry.

Spielberg went into a hole for me with this movie and didn't get out until Schindler's List.
Old 08-02-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't. They're films that I kind of like, enough to buy for around $6-$9 each through Columbia House. But not as a box set, for whatever the hell the asking price is. No thanks.
Old 08-02-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the first and third films well enough, but really don't feel any burning desire to see them again. Certainly not as an expensive box set. I gave up buying DVD's 'just to say I own them' at least a year ago.
Old 08-02-03, 01:24 AM

Unless I find a great deal, I plan to hold off.

I'm going to wait until afer Indy IV to see if they put out another box set, hopefully with the great behind the scenes documentaries made on the first ones.
Old 08-02-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well...I guess this thread backfired
Old 08-02-03, 01:49 AM

I'm really excited about this set! Looks like I might be in the minority, though. :-) It evokes memories of that magical summer of 1981 when, after having seen "RAIDERS of the LOST ARK" at the drive-in, I spent countless hours honing my "electrical cord/Bullwhip" skills with the assistance of my younger brother. (Poor guy STILL has a few scars here and there.) Oh well, better him than me. I'll DEFINITELY be getting these DVDs! (Maybe I'll even get an extra set for my brother?....Nah!)
Old 08-02-03, 01:58 AM

Well there are apparently 3 types of dvd/movie people:

1.) Criterion Snobs who are so anal they cannot take movies like Indiana Jones for what they are and enjoy them. But you can be damn sure if there was a CC version they would buy it.

1a.) As a sub genre we have the people who deal in 'Anamorphic Snobbery' (phrase taken from another dvdtalker), who wouldn't buy there favorite movie if it wasn't in AW.

1b.) I was going to do OAR here, but those people seem to be somewhat normal (for now.)

2.) The DVD count whores, the people who measure the size of there "manhood" by the # of dvds they have. They probably own movies they know they will never watch.

3.) People who like movies in general, and just want to be entertained.

Personally I am a #3. I love watching all kinds of movies, and I would have to say that I was entertained by all 3 Indy films and will be buying the set.

Please take this in jest. Its called a joke.

Last edited by hifi; 08-02-03 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 02:28 AM

I'm not buying the set. Have seen them all but never really liked them that much. Just normal action-adventure films that all..
Old 08-02-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless I'm bowled over by the first week deals(like something in the $35 range, I"m expecting $45), I"m holding off. I rushed out for Road to Perdition on opening day, and I saw all my local used bins flooded with fine copies for 1/2 the opening retail. After that, I stopped buying week one. I did get BTTF at a going out of business sale, but I've likewise seen that in used bins too, so I figure after Christmas, a lot of people will be purging this one, and hopefully I'll bag one in the $20 range. It might not seem like much, but when your collection is getting bigger, I personally value keeping costs down on the discs I buy.

So to cut through that long wind, I won't be buying week 1 unless it's an offer I can't refuse.
Old 08-02-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hifi
Well there are apparently 3 types of dvd/movie people:
Not really sure where I fit in that set.

Most likely 3, but you almost seem to suggest (and I'm possibly not reading you right, and in any case, I'm not stressing, because I take what you say about it not being too serious to heart), that entry to Cat 3 is contingent upon accepting those films (not a problem for me), but also liking them (a problem.)

I have a mixed collection of different types of stuff, which I (for the most part) like. Even if I don't, I own it for a reason.

If someone gave me the Indy set, I'd keep it. (I would sell other stuff in similar circumstances. The Austin Powers movies, for example...)
Old 08-02-03, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I won't go out and buy it unless i can get it for $30 or less. I never pay more than $10 a disc - that's my rule. I will probably put this on my christmas list though. I'm not in a rush to get it(as with everything else, patience gets the best deal), and I've already watched my videos hundreds of times and they're still holding up for now. I prefer the DVDs but I'd rather spend the money that week on something I don't already have in any format at all. These are among my top favorites of all time though, and they will surely be in the collection as soon as the price is right.

Which box set color are you going to buy? The light or the dark? I think I'm leaning toward the lighter color.
Old 08-02-03, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll be getting the Indy Trilogy on opening day.
Old 08-02-03, 06:08 AM

opening day for me i had the tril on LD and paid a LOT more back int he day so 30-35 to me is a bargain

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.