Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anime fans: What do you think of the Animatrix "history of anime"?

Old 06-06-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the effort, but overall one word summarizes my opinion: "Japanime?"
Old 06-06-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone I know called it "japanimation" for a long, long time.
Old 06-06-03, 10:06 AM

What I want to know is what Todd Mcfarlene had to do with anything. At first I didn't care or noticed to point this out, but after he popped up again in one of the "making of" of one of the shorts, I was like, "huh? he wasn't involved in any of these shorts"
Old 06-06-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't stand the way McFarlane talks, he sounds incoherent and babbling when interviewed.
Old 06-06-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I enjoyed the whole bit, although it definatly could have been longer. Not bad for a short history though.
Old 06-06-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the manga coverage was okay, but I thought the anime section was poorly lacking. Most people who don't know much about anime know Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and Vampire Hunter D or various old shows that used to be licensed over here... I don't think they did a whole lot to broaden horizons besides reinforce what people knew about anime already...

I think if they were planning on showing the influences of The Matrix -- things like Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell, apparently -- they should have called it "Anime Influences on The Matrix." Presenting it as a comprehensive history of anime is a little misleading.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 06-06-03 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-06-03, 02:04 PM

I don't think they ever intended it as a comprehensive history of anime. I think it was just there to explain the basics to people who are buying the disc because of its Matrix connection, but aren't necessarily anime watchers. None of what they said was really news to me, but that just means I wasn't the target audience. Its targeted at people who've never read the Right Stuf catalog. LOL

That being said I think it was very informative for people who are just getting interested in anime recently. It also helps to show uninformed people about the popularity of manga and anime in Japan.
Old 06-06-03, 03:29 PM
Cool New Member

I thought Animatrix slanted way too much in the anime direction as far as content. That's why IMO it didn't as well as it could have.
Old 06-07-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Singhal
I thought Animatrix slanted way too much in the anime direction as far as content.
That's kind of the point.
Old 06-07-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm actually in the middle of watching it right now (had to take a small study break). Since I don't have a huge amount of background knowledge of anime I think it's interesting so far. My one question is what's with all the Americans talking to me about the history of anime? They couldn't find anyone in Japan to discuss this? Just a minor nitpick and maybe there'll be some other voices later but I just find that interesting.
Old 06-07-03, 06:22 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Re: Anime fans: What do you think of the Animatrix "history of anime"?

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I appreciate the effort, but overall one word summarizes my opinion: "Japanime?"
I had the same reaction in regards to the "pop culture critic" who used that term. He really needs a good kicking.

I can see it being easy for fans of anime to pick it apart and get all snitty over what was and wasn't covered, but as far as an introductory explanation to the form, and some of the elements that contributed to the storytelling style, I thought it was pretty good.

And yeah, it's easy to single out McFarlane, too, but there were also other people on there who seemed out of place who had far fewer good points than he did.
Old 06-09-03, 02:22 AM

well, todd mcfarlane's company did make the matrix action figures...
Old 06-09-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait to see McFarlane's comments on Soul Calibur II...
Old 06-09-03, 09:37 AM
Suspended

With out me, Sosai X, there would be no Gallactor, no Kagagu Ninjatai, nothing. You owe your miserable existance to me!
Old 06-09-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this quite a bit. Wondered why the hell some of the people shown were there... they are no more knowledgable or qualified on the subject then I am... but I liked the early coverage on stuff like the scrolls and manga and Astro Boy.

Really liked how the anime clips shown in all the featurettes was shown in it's original langauge almost all the time, or simply any dialogue was avoided. One thing I normally can't stand on my anime discs are the extras and behind the scenes stuff seeming to be about a movie I have never seen :P