Search

Region 1 Superiority?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Region 1 Superiority?

Hey all....

Ok, I just now have the capability to play DVD's from any region. Now aside form boots, are DVD's from other regions just as good (sound quality, picture quality) as Region one (American) DVD's. I, for some reason, have it in my mind that all non region 1 dvd's are inferior in quality.... Also, what other regions are in all englishj (example, no foriegn text on the cover, etc)..

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-18-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Region 1 Superiority?

Originally posted by KillerQ
I, for some reason, have it in my mind that all non region 1 dvd's are inferior in quality
In most cases either R1 is better or the same as other regions, but there are LOTS of exceptions to this rule.

Go to http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons
Old 06-18-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

why do you have to post the same question twice?

I dont understand.......international section/talk section......???
Old 06-18-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well Killer - foreign DVDs are just as good as region ones. It's just that: different regions. They are the same kind of discs with the same authoring equipment and the same kind of transfers.

(let's not get into a PAL/NTSC discussion)
Old 06-18-03, 02:37 PM

Go here and click on "DVD Comparisons".
Old 06-18-03, 03:11 PM

Now most other regions are catching up, or overtaking american releases, and here in the UK companies are adding little extras here and there to make them better than the american version, Die anothr Day springs to mind. But in general it depends on what dvds you want, what company owns the overseas rights, but ussually if the other region has the same company releasing it, it will be identical.
If a film does well in one country and bad in another that effects the dvds too. But overall I buy from all over the world, every country, and america is far from the greatest, it a mixture of many different countys, for different dvds. Check for the best version in the world, thats what i do, its easy to compare what is out there, just look and you will find.
Old 06-18-03, 03:18 PM

For instance, a film called Malena an oscar winning french film starring Matrix Reloaded star Monica Bellucci, released in America and the UK by Miramax, its a crap version, no extras and good picture, but cut by abou 15 minutes. If you look all over the world, italy, france both have brilliant versions compared to America and UK, but they have no subtitles, the subtitle problem is a bit worry, you need to know if the dvd you are buying is in english, as some countrys dub them, so extensive relearch pays.
I found the best version of the film Malena, is in Korea! of all places, a 2 dvd loads of extras extravaganza, and far cheaper than UK and America with english subs.

So your favorate film may be out there it just takes some looking. it pays to research, a lot.

Happy Hunting. Picture quality on all dvds varies, but UK and America are ussually identical, some prefer PAL some prefer NTSC, I prefer PAL. its up to you and your equipment.
Old 06-18-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Well Killer - foreign DVDs are just as good as region ones. It's just that: different regions. They are the same kind of discs with the same authoring equipment and the same kind of transfers.

(let's not get into a PAL/NTSC discussion)
I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are the same kind of transfers. There are some discs that are better transfers in other regions, just as there are some rgn 1s that have better transfers than the other regions.
Old 06-18-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Romerojpg could you tell me where I can get that Korean version of Malena and if it is uncut.
Old 06-18-03, 04:21 PM
Banned

I have Malena. I thought it was Italian.
Old 06-18-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

the only uncut version is the Italian dvd (though lacking the english subs). The Korean market is the last place I would look for an uncut European release (if you know the local laws I am sure you know what I mean by it).