Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Kwaidan

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Japanese ghost story movie, is one I have thought of getting, but I have not been sure. Can I get any comments, please?

------------------
"A word is dead when it is said, some say; I say it just begins to live that day."
Old 01-08-01, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't care for it my first time around. I usual fashion I'm waiting a little while before watching it again and deciding if I really don't like it The pieces were too slow and not really all that horrific/scary.
Old 01-08-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If 'measured' (aka slow) pacing does not bother you, you may find this to be one of the most artistically impeccable films ever made.

Stunning colors, compositions and sets--one of the greatest 'studio' films ever made. A delicate, fairy-tale-like atmosphere. A movie to make you dream.

I rented it and was so impressed that I went ahead and bought it.

Not for everyone but those who do appreciate Art films with a capital A will not soon forget it.
Old 01-08-01, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's a great film. If you like the way Mario Bava or Dario Argento use color in their films, you'll like this. It is a bit slow paced, but very atmospheric. There are four ghost stories and some have twist endings. I bought & I'm glad i did.

------------------
IT'S ALL GOOD
Old 01-09-01, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I was disappointed by it. I almost preordered it but ended up just renting it from netflix. It has some fantastic images & compositions but it's a collection of shorts so I never cared about any of the characters. They're more like character-types to tell not-quite morality tales. The plots are pretty ridiculous & it doesn't take long to guess most of what's going to happen. The best part was pausing the disc at certain points & enjoying the visuals. Not something I want to revisit soon, maybe someday.

I'd try to rent it first & instead I think I would recommend Woman in the Dunes (though the dvd isn't the best) or Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (though it's not on dvd yet).
Old 01-09-01, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks your word has been much appriecieted.
I think I will get it, because I am kind of weak for artistic movies and anything that is out of unknown as well. Thanks again.

------------------
"A word is dead when it is said, some say; I say it just begins to live that day."
Old 01-10-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DVD Smurf:
Thanks your word has been much appriecieted.
I think I will get it, because I am kind of weak for artistic movies and anything that is out of unknown as well. Thanks again.

<HR>

You made the right choice & done good!

Old 01-11-01, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lokimok:
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (though it's not on dvd yet).
<HR>

I would also compare it to Dreams. Why hasn't Criterion done that movie yet? I'd gladly replace my laserdisc.