Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

'Titus' review

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-00, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone seen this film as it was a limited release in theaters.
thanks,
Scott M.
Old 08-25-00, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ebert's review: http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...01/012105.html

There's also a fair number of comments on the IMDB. Plus some small discussion on the DVDTalk forum: http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/015719.html
Old 08-25-00, 09:29 PM

Good movie, excellent DVD - one of my Top Five (to date) of 2000. Here's a link to my full review:
http://www.dvdmg.com/titus.html
Old 08-27-00, 04:23 AM
Banned

BUY THIS DVD.

This is one superb film, and the work put into making this DVD is remarkable. The acting is fine, and story is vintage Shakespeare, and extra features are top notch.

There's 2 commentaries, one with Anthony Hopkins, and another with the director.

There's also her 30 minute talk to Columbia University students after a screening of the film.

Also there is a 49 minute behind the scenes look that features the actors rehearsing and much more. It's incredibly insightful for fans of serious acting.

There's also special effects featurettes, etc.

I rank this DVD up there with T2 Ultimate edition as one of the best special edition DVDs out there. You learn so much about the process of making this wonderful film and find out how hard they had to work to put this fine piece together.

Even though this film didn't do well at the box office (it's Shakespeare, and we general moviegoers don't usually appreciate more sophisticated films) you owe it to yourself to get this DVD.
Old 08-28-00, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely agree with UKingdom- this is an extraordinary movie and an excellent DVD.
I could never get into Shakespeare,but this movie has given me the desire to rent and rewatch Hamlet, and King Lear,and other Shakesperian works.
Old 08-28-00, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I also wrote a review for Titus (http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/titus.shtml) and, while I personally gave it my highest ranking, I realize that it's not a film for all tastes. Here's a brief snippet that explains this aspect of the film:

"Titus" is not an easy film to watch. It is excruciatingly brutal and there is no true hero to root for as the bloodthirsty madness infects everyone. The violence is staged in a very artistic and symbolic way but that makes it no less disturbing to watch. In fact, in this day and age when so many movies feature over-the-top gore and almost cartoonish violence, encountering the harsh scenes in "Titus" is like a slap in the face. The characters here feel real pain and agony and there is no quick and painless exit for any of them. The viewer is forced to suffer through these tortures as well and, by the end of the film, will likely be exhausted and more than a little unsettled by what they have seen. This is not a condemnation of the movie by any means. In fact, I applaud the director for making the violence in "Titus" a weighty matter that isn't easy to forget at the end of the day. It is important, however, that viewers know in advance what they're getting into when they sit down to watch this film.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs
Old 08-29-00, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mugwump, thank's for posting your review; well written and insightful.
Old 08-29-00, 04:43 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good review, Mugwup. One thing: the paraphrase from Hamlet in your review is actually from one of the most misquoted lines in Shakespeare. The original line was, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." The line has been bastardized so often that most people think the actual line was "Methinks thou doth protest too much." In fact, that would be awful grammar in Old English.

Sometimes, my anal nature keeps me from staying quiet on stuff like this.
Old 08-30-00, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
If that's the worst fault you could find with my writing I'll consider myself lucky! Actually, I quite appreciate bits of trivia such as that, thanks.

------------------
Mugwump's DVDs
Old 08-30-00, 09:16 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the input on this title. I have ordered it from 800.com and anxiously look forward to its arrival this week.
Scott M.
Old 08-30-00, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great over looked dvd.
Old 08-30-00, 04:56 PM

Have to say that I traded a criterion title for his dvd--and in my opinion, got the better deal. Thanks to posted reviews here, else I would have missed out on the best dvds this year.

Needless to say, this is one I'm glad I have in my collection.

Old 08-30-00, 06:31 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Oatsdad:
Good movie, excellent DVD - one of my Top Five (to date) of 2000. Here's a link to my full review:
http://www.dvdmg.com/titus.html
<HR>

Wonderful review, Oatsdad!

------------------
Jim

"We're all in it together, kid" - BRAZIL -
Old 09-29-00, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw Titus tonight. Man, this movie is awesome! Anthony Hopkins gives a truly memorable performance. I'm a proud owner of an excellent two-disc set with a fantastic movie and a lot of great extras.

You owe it to yourself at least to rent this.

- David Stein

------------------
Be cause you told me to drill sear gant !
Old 09-30-00, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by smurr:
Anyone seen this film as it was a limited release in theaters.<HR>

I guess I was one of the lucky few to see it in the theater. I loved it and own the DVD set. This one is a keeper !!