DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Insomnia (Criterion)

Old 10-06-99, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
The disc:

This disc, by criterion, had a good trasfer (16x9!), the colors were outstanding and really showed off the great cinematography of this film. and DD 2.0 soundtrack ( Norweigian/Sweedish) with English subtitles was fine, the sound effects in the movie were minimal. Not speaking any Scandanavian languages, i can not comment on the accuacy of the subtitles.

Extras: tralers and TV spots (with English subititles) and the usual Criterion color bars constitute the extras on this disc.

Plot Summary from DvdExpress:
Insomnia (1997)

Disgraced Swedish detective Jonas Engstrom (Stellan Skarsgard) travels to northern Norway to solve a brutal murder in Insomnia. Unable to sleep through the night of the midnight sun, Engstrom quickly loses his grip on the case and his mind. Erik Skjoldbjaerg’s debut feature is a deft amalgam of psychological thriller, morality play, and police procedural.

My take (very mild spoilers):

This movie was really good. The main character, the detective, was played very well, you could see him slowly "degrade" throughout the movie both pysically and mentally as the case and other pressures turned against him. the supporting actors rangedfrom quite good to a bit shallow, but this story is about the lead detective, so some of the weaker characters can be forgivven. The plot had a few nice twists and was very interesting. I would highly recommend seeing this movie if you like psychological thrillers.
Old 10-07-99, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review, BearFan, this is now the next DVD I plan to rent.

--Heather
Old 10-07-99, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the review, I'll definitely have to check it out (the star, unsure of name spelling, was great in DEEP BLUE SEA and RONIN).

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~prefect.asp
Old 10-07-99, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll second Bearfan's recommendation of this film. It was a fascinating film with a great performance from Stellan Skarsgard (By the way, will "Breaking The Waves" ever make it to DVD?). Although there are no real extras, the transfer is excellent...another great addition to the Criterion library.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 10-07-99, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jim--

I don't know where I read it (dvdfile, possibly) but "Breaking the Waves" is supposedly going to be released as part of a three DVD-pack (it won't be available separately, as far as I know, and I don't have any release date information, either). Regardless of whether the other two films in the pack are any good, I'll buy it just to have "Breaking the Waves" on DVD.

--Heather
Old 10-07-99, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Breaking the Waves is coming out in November as part of the INDIE COLLECTOR'S PACK, which includes Matewan (1987), Traveller (1997), and Breaking The Waves (1996). This is a great bargain (Reel has it for $27).

BE CAREFUL! In an amazing act of marketing stupidity, Artisan has named this set the "Indie Collector's Pack" even though they *ALREADY HAVE* a title with that same name (which has Pi and Permanent Midnight). I've already seen one online retailer confuse the two.

And, I'll also add my praise for INSOMNIA. This was a spontaneous purchase of mine (found it really cheap) and I was amazed at how good it was. One of those wonderful foreign films that makes you forget that you are reading subtitles about 10 minutes into it. I only wish that Hollywood cop thrillers would have this degree of sophistication.

Old 08-24-00, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyway, back on topic ...

I wasn't terribly thrilled by Insomnia. It just didn't seem to go anywhere, really... the plot twists made me just think, WTF are you doing?!

Great acting and interesting atmosphere, but the plot was too shallow for my tastes.

- David Stein

------------------
"You face... The Tick!"
"No, I face a zebra. You face The Tick!"
Old 08-24-00, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 827 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by bboisvert:
Breaking the Waves is coming out in November as part of the INDIE COLLECTOR'S PACK, which includes Matewan (1987), Traveller (1997), and Breaking The Waves (1996). This is a great bargain (Reel has it for $27).
<HR>

"Breaking the Waves", although not my favorite Von Trier film, is a fine film. So is John Sayles "Matewan". Never heard of
Traveller. Can anyone comment?
Old 08-24-00, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Although I don't have this three set, many people have comented on the crummy quality of the discs in it. Some are not in OAR, have terrible transfers, etc...

------------------
My DVDs
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 08-24-00, 10:09 PM

Let's not forget Stellan Skarsgard as the math professor in Good Will Hunting. He's an excellent actor.

I too enjoyed this movie. It's funny, I was trying to remember the exact wording of a repeated line in the movie... something like "I don't f*(king understand Swedish", which was (I thought) very funny. But, I can't remember the exact line because it was given in Subtitles... which I'd forgotten. Which can only say good stuff about the movie.
Old 08-24-00, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Skarsgard also is very good in John Frankenheimer's "RONIN." I thought "INSOMNIA" was a great film also.

------------------
Tony Block