Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

review wanted: Fireworks aka Hana-bi

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

review wanted: Fireworks aka Hana-bi

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-00, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have a review of the DVD reg 1 Newyorker release of Fireworks. Thanks, Tony Block
Old 08-13-00, 10:33 PM

The video quality is a disaster - they put too much on a single layer disc and there's all sorts of artifacting. Still a great movie. Mediocre extras - making of is a waste, but the talent files are surprisingly good. I'd wait for a reissue or something.
Old 08-16-00, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought this on preorder and hadn't got around to watching it yet - it's one of my favorite films of the past few years. Thor's negative review of the dvd got me to check it out. I really have to disagree. The picture looks beautiful to me. I saw no artifacts except for 2 brief strobing effects. No pixilations or other problems. The 5.l sound is fine, not much surround action. The featurette is about l5 minutes of on the spot location shoots and I found it kind of entertaining,although not real informative. Everything came together for beat takeshi on this - he mixes the violence and the bittersweet scenes with his (screen)wife masterfully. I also love the music which has kind of a french feel to it. There are hidden easter eggs too - on each of the scene selection pages the last box will give you a snippet of interview with the writer/director/actor (5 of them,I think,each no more than 2 minutes long). This dvd gets a firm recommendation from me.
Old 08-19-00, 12:20 AM

Perhaps it's a player-based problem, or perhaps different batches turned out different, but I'm not the only one with this problems. I sent an e-mail to New Yorker Films, and they confirmed that other people were having trouble with this title. They indicated it's because they put too much stuff on a single layer on the advice of their authoring company, who erroneously told them it wouldn't be a problem.

At the very least, proceed with caution.
Old 08-19-00, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My transfer sucks too. It is horrible. Also no one, not DVDFILE, nor DVDAUTHORITY, nor DVDVERDICT, etc., etc., etc., I mean no one has reviewed it & it has been out for over a month.

MONDODIGITAL did state at the end of the review for The Cement Garden that CG does not have the problems that Newyorker had with Fireworks. I'm really pissed off. I think Newyorker should be big boys, suck it up, & do a recall & put out a new disc, instead of passing it off on the company that did the transfer, while in the final analysis, it is still you & I, the consumer, who is stuck with this crappy product. I also emailed Newyorker films over a week ago. However, they never responded to my email. Cheers, Tony Block
Old 08-22-00, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone else got the disc & got a gripe?

------------------
Tony Block