Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What do you guys really think of Sixth Sense???

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

What do you guys really think of Sixth Sense???

Old 02-01-00, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was great!!!
there was a few scary monets, but I think it's the characters that made the movie so good! It was great acting......that's all I can say man.
Do anyone agree or disagree with me???
Do anyone think it's over-rated???

I just know it's so good that I pre-ordered!

Old 02-01-00, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I think this film is overrated, especially because of its ending which I'm guessing people didn't expect. However, it is still a good and enjoyable film, I just don't drool over like some here.

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 02-01-00, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was overrated. The kid actor could have been even better if there had been a different (i.e., better) director, I think. Bruce Willis was passable but I can't believe some people think he deserves any awards for his performance in it. I thought the best acting in the film came from Toni Collette. Overall, my biggest problem with "The Sixth Sense" is the script. I thought it was beating me over the head with the "surprise" ending throughout the entire movie, not to mention I thought the script was poor in general. Anyway, I think it could have been much better had it been written and directed by someone else.

--Heather
Old 02-01-00, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also agree that it was overrated, but i did enjoy it. My biggest problem with the movie is that it seems to have very little "rewatchability". I'll admit, I was one of the many who was actually suprised by the ending, but I feel that now knowing the end, makes rewatching it is almost pointless.

Old 02-01-00, 03:08 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take away the ending, and you have a great movie. Add the ending, and you have a masterpiece. I loved the movie.
Old 02-01-00, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! So most of you guys think it wasn't all that huh?
That's cool though!
Old 02-01-00, 07:10 PM

I thought it fell in the same category as The Pantom Menace and Double Jeopardy: bad, bad, bad.

I agree with Heather, though: A different writer and director would have made a big difference.
Old 02-01-00, 11:42 PM
Banned

I thought it was great.. I love surprise endings I can't see coming. Normally I can see them a bit ahead of time. Sixth sense totally caught me napping.

My dad saw the ending coming though, right at the point where Bruce Willis is sitting in the living room with the kid's mom... Yep, that early.. He leaned over and said what the ending was to me.. I was amazed. Of course, I'd seen the movie already.

On another note, I just watched eXistanZ and it completely caught me off guard too. Too many plot twists to see what's going on very far ahead. I saw some of it, but not all of it.

------------------
My DVD List
Old 02-01-00, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Given that the same guy wrote and directed The Sixth Sense, I don't necessarily think and new writer/director would have made a better film, but perhaps a different film at best. I saw this movie twice because it's fun to check out all the clues that were put in. I haven't seen Magnolia again, but supposedly it's fun to see the movie again to check out all the 82 references P.T. Anderson put into the film.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 02-01-00, 11:49 PM

I also think it's overrated. The ending made the whole movie. You need to see the movie without knowing the ending for it to be effective. It's not worth watching more than twice.
Old 02-02-00, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know that M. Night Shyamalan (or however it is spelled) both wrote and directed it. I should have clarified that I believe he came up with a great idea, but someone else (with more talent) should have written and directed it.

--Heather
Old 02-02-00, 01:11 AM

I absolutely loved the film. Tak Fugimoto's cinematography was one of my favorite elements. Willis does a fine job but he's only helping tell the story, a pawn. Osment (sp) aka, "the kid from the sixth sense" is spectacular.

As far as the whole idea of the film, after seeing STIR OF ECHOES, I'm left with a deep feeling that the main premise came from that book.

They are two different films but can be compared to eachother just as much as ANTZ and A Bug's Life can be. We all know the story behind those films and why they are indeed similar.

The root elements of 6th are present in STIR and there's no douvbt in my mind that there was a lot of borrowing going on there.

I maintain that 6th is one of the best films of the year. Very well done and I suspended my disbelief. I went back again to see what I missed (lot's did.)

I pre-ordered it as well.

------------------
"Do or do not. There is no try."
Old 02-02-00, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was slightly above average (B-). Definitely think people have taken the fact that it has a pretty good surprise ending and then try to extrapolate that to cover the whole movie but it really doesn't carry it that much. The pacing was downright atrocious and the acting was pretty uneventful...especially think Osment's performance is overrated. I think the kid who acted Stanley Specter's (sp?) part in Magnolia is much better child actor performance
Old 02-02-00, 01:33 AM

Oh, before I continue here, there are some spoilers afoot.

The screenplay was well planned, but it seemed to have been rushed between the outline stage and the "polished" stage. This is in almost direct contrast with The Usual Suspects, which was very polished, but wasn't as well thought out.

I've never been terribly good criticizing the direction of a movie, I'm more of a script person, myself. Still, The Sixth Sense would have had a hell of a lot more impact if the director had made the choice to use a bit of restraint with the ghosts. The scariest ghost in the movie is probably the first ghost in the closet (which you never see) followed by the weird old woman in the kitchen. Most of the others are just sort of silly. Did we really need to see those incredibly unconvincing hanging victims in the school?

I had no problems whatever with the acting. There really is only so much an actor can do when both the screenplay and the director are stacked against them.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie because it surprised me, without cheating, which is something of a rarity. Still, if not for the ending it would have been disappointing. The Sixth Sense would, in my opinion, be a nice candidate for a remake at some point in the future.

[This message has been edited by Al Infinitum (edited February 01, 2000).]
Old 02-02-00, 08:41 AM

I thought the movie was very original! Not overrated at all. Exellent movie.
Old 02-02-00, 09:00 AM

Blasphemers!

The script is a shining example of how to write a good screenplay. Each scene leads to the next with little confusion. Each scene reveals a little bit more about the story efficiently and without waste. There was no cheating here with the twist at the end. Everything was laid out on the screen, but the build up was so slyly put together, most people were caught by surprise with that twist.

The pacing was very deliberate. The direction made the movie highly accessible to mass audiences without being dumbed down. There were moments of genuine humor, sadness, and scares. But to coin another thread, "If it's popular, it must suck."

------------------
(This message has been edited by Damn Dirty Apes!)
Old 02-02-00, 11:49 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
This film is extremely overrated! The acting, photography, and music are the only aspects to the film that are without reproach. As much as I hate to disagree with my good buddy, foxdvd, the ending is what pulls the proverbial carpet out from under the halfway decent film that you've sat through for the last two hours. People like El Pollo have referred to this script as near perfection, but the "surprise" ending is the most logic-flawed, inconsistent, intelligence insulting climax I've experienced in a long time. The surprise at the end caught every body off guard so effectively precisely because it made no coherent sense in light of the narrative we'd experienced up to that point. If Ed McMahon had walked out the Mothership at the end of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, it would have been the height of surprise endings but, like 6th SENSE, it would make absolutely no sense in the context of the prior narrative. The script for 6th SENSE is saturated with logic holes, and it frightens me that so many viewers consider it to be the model of a great script. Another drawback to the film is that the narrative is 99% dialogue driven, which is usually problematic for a film. Film is visual storytelling, theatre is dialogue storytelling, and books are text, or "interior", storytelling. This film is slowed to a snail's pace because, in its amateur presentation, it attempts to tell you everything, rather than show you, as a film should. The director should abandon writing all together, and switch to directing stage plays, if you ask me. On a positive note, though, that little boy acted everybody in the film right off the screen!

------------------
A curious mix of the best and worst in motion picture entertainment--that's right, it's Filmmaker's DVDTracker list!
...and the fun doesn't stop there--check out how the madness all began with Filmmaker's Laserdisc Tracker list!
Old 02-02-00, 11:56 AM
classícman

There's probably nothing wrong with this movie that a good screenwriter, editor, and director could not fix.

BTW: I thought the acting was competent, but nothing to get all excited about. Well, I suppose one has to consider who the star of the movie was.

------------------
Older is obviously better in two areas: Bourbon Whiskey and Movies
Old 02-02-00, 02:06 PM

Filmmaker

While I agree with the majority of what you said, I do still think the script's logic was sound. The reason the twist ending was such a success was that it didn't cheat the viewer. (That is, unless you consider that they cheated us of our time by making the viewer wade through 106 minutes of mediocre writing and directing to get to a rather neat twist ending.)
Old 02-02-00, 05:23 PM
ali

I thought it worked quite well as a film without the surprise ending (not that I though the ending was bad or anything). A pretty good movie IMHO. I agree there are some logic holes, but not too many! Any chance of enlightening me on those Filmmaker?

ali
Old 02-02-00, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think it was a great movie or anything, but I thought that it was very good for what it was. One of the few "blockbusters" of '99 worth seeing. I probably won't buy the dvd, but I don't regret seeing it in the theater. I was well-entertained (can't think of a better word for this right now) for 2 hours.
Old 02-03-00, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PrincessDucky:

I thought The Sixth Sense was good, not great. However, I don't think it is overrated. Most critics rated it average, a decent Hollywood film in an age where mainstream Hollywood rarely releases decent pictures. Actually, I think the great popularity of the films has caused it to be somewhat underrated by a lot of people, as they try to prove how much more clever they are then the average filmgoer. (I think this is what they call "class-warfare.")Don't question your opinion though, if I'm not mistaken, the greatly respected Atom Egoyan has also said The Sixth Sense is his favorite film this year.

Yes, the "surprise" ending is telegraphed, but so are the "surprises" in Psycho and The Crying Game. I don't think it means much. Surprises don't make films good or bad. As with The Crying Game, The Sixth Sense's surprise is more metaphoric anyway, bringing to the surface certain themes in the film. Personally, my biggest problem with the film was that most of the ghosts seemed candidates for episodes on Oprah, which was a little too knee jerk liberal for my tastes.

All the performances were fine, especially Toni Collette's. Tak Fugimoto's cinematography was also very nice.

------------------
"If it were all in the script, why make the film?"--Nicholas Ray

[This message has been edited by Blip (edited February 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Blip (edited February 03, 2000).]
Old 02-03-00, 12:52 PM
Cool New Member

I thought The Sixth Sense was fantastic. I completely enjoyed it. I also felt it was a milestone for Bruce Willis' career.

I'm not normally in a position where I'm all that surprised at paths that movies take. The "surprise ending" in this one really got me. I give it extra points for that.

Good movie. Good story. Good character study. Better than average acting.
Old 02-03-00, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

blip,

I think most people who called it overrated were speaking of the masses admiration for it rather than the critics. Although, I think the critics liked it more than you think:
http://www.rotten-tomatoes.com/sixth_sense.asp

Personally (as I said before), I enjoyed the movie, but found it slow-paced with very little rewatchability. It seems tedious to sit through it again once you know the suprise (which is the best part of the movie).

I will probably rent it when it comes out, just to examine the parts of the movie the give clues to the end, but would be reluctant to buy it.

Old 02-03-00, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think most critics gave it 3 to 3.5 stars.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.