Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What did you think of eXistenZ?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

What did you think of eXistenZ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-00, 03:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did it really "make THE MATRIX look like CHILD'S PLAY?"

------------------
How To Meet Girls
Old 03-10-00, 04:56 AM

NO! It didn't make the Matrix look like child's play. I might be the minority here, but I watched it with a couple people and we all thought it sucked!
Old 03-10-00, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I watched this film with a group of say six people and at least 4 of them hated it. I'm not sure why, maybe because they held The Matrix in such high regard, and this doesn't compare to it at all in terms of genre (action). The thing I liked most about the movie is that its one of those movies were you're very confused at points in the film, but at the end it all makes sense. Its one that makes you think.

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Old 03-10-00, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awful movie. There are already several threads on this cinematic travesty where, it pains me to say it, the majority of people seem to like it.

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human
Old 03-10-00, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by NOFX:
Did it really "make THE MATRIX look like CHILD'S PLAY?"
<HR>

I wouldn't go that far, but eXistenZ was a very good movie. You can't go wrong with this one if you like science fiction.

------------------
"THIS IS WHO WE ARE"
Old 03-10-00, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by THX 1138:
I wouldn't go that far, but eXistenZ was a very good movie. You can't go wrong with this one if you like science fiction.
<HR>

Actually you can, make sure you buy the Canadian version and not the US version. The one from Canada has a couple of commentary tracks (and IIRC some other special features) the US one is movie only

WRT the movie itself... It was OK (w/o giving too much away) the ending was a bit predictable, and one of the main reasons/actors that got me interested in the movie in the first place had a much smaller role that I liked
Old 03-10-00, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the answer to your question depends more on whether or not you thought The Matrix was "child's play" in the first place than how it compares to eXistenZ.

On a side note, I'm a bit shocked (and somewhat pleased) that eXistenZ is the subject of what has become one of the most repeated threads on this forum.

------------------
"If it were all in the script, why make the film?"--Nicholas Ray

Old 03-10-00, 12:49 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blip:
I think the answer to your question depends more on whether or not you thought The Matrix was "child's play" in the first place than how it compares to eXistenZ.

<HR>

I only ask this cause the cover art says so. Otherwise, it would have never came into my head.

------------------
How To Meet Girls
Old 03-10-00, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In terms of visual effects, babe-factors (even though I would do JJ Leigh in a second flat) and bullets, eXistenZ is a joke.

However, in terms of thought provocation, content, boldness, performance and all the factors that make really good true sci-fi, eXistenZ makes The Matrix look like a joke.

Since the stuff in paragraph #2 is more important to me than the stuff in paragraph #1, I'd rather watch Cronenberg's silly low-tech flick any night of the week than sit through "Whoa! I am the One! I must, like, open my mind!" again.
Old 03-10-00, 04:26 PM

The Matrix sucked. eXistenZ is awesome.

If you like Speilberg, Cameron, or Lucas movies you'll like the Matrix. If you like Kubrick, Cronenberg, or Gilliam movies you'll like eXistenZ. It's that simple.

Anyone who disagrees I'll add to the list. What list you aks? The list of people who claim to love Kubrick yet think EWS stinks. It's probably his best movie and they don't even know why. If they can't figure that out they should keep watch their ID4's, Armageddons and Matrix-es...
Old 03-10-00, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TELawrence,

Nothing is that simple.

Old 03-10-00, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NOFX:

I apologize if I sounded snide. I understood where your phrase came from. I was simply answering the question.

DodgingCars:

I think TE is only trying to spare people's feelings. If he actually spent the time to expound on his opinions, those simpletons on this forum whose heads didn't explode from trying to wrap their minds around his insights would probably kill themselves after realizing how stupid and worthless they really are. It would be like staring into the face of God. You should just be thankful that he blesses us with his presence and be awed by his intellectual prowess. After all, only a true genius would choose "TELawrence" as his username. (For all those simpletons out there, among other accomplishments, T.E. Lawrence was a writer; and, in case you don't know, writers are really really smart--much smarter than you.)

------------------

Old 03-10-00, 06:33 PM

I congratulate Blip on a seemingly powerful intellectual retort. Sadly it is embarrassingly wrong as he doesn't know the difference between D.H & T.E. Lawrence. Feel free to try again.
Old 03-10-00, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blip,

ok.

Old 03-10-00, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blip:
among other accomplishments, T.E. Lawrence was a writer<HR>

quote:<HR>Originally posted by TELawrence:
Sadly it is embarrassingly wrong as he (Blip) doesn't know the difference between D.H & T.E. Lawrence.<HR>

Thomas Edward Lawrence byname Lawrence of Arabia, also called from 1927 T.E. British archeological scholar, adventurer, military strategist, and the writer of THE SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM (1927), an ambitious work, which combines a detailed account of the Arab revolt against the Turks and author's own spiritual autobiography.

Yep, I’d say that makes him an author. TEL, smugness is not an attractive quality, especially when you’re wrong.

Nice one Blip

««««««««««««»»»»»»»»»»»»»
More human, than Human

Old 03-10-00, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
My cousin raved about this movie, and made me sit and watch it a few weekends back.

I thought it was above average. The movie had that 'underground' / non-big budget look. Story was good.

I bought it, (aliance version), and upon 2nd watching, liked it better. Not a "blockbuster" movie of that's what you're looking for.

------------------
-verbal

"I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that this was all started by a mouse."
-Walt Disney

The reason my DVD player was the "most expensive" gift I've ever received.
Old 03-11-00, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jonathan:

Thank you for defending my honor. I mistakenly assumed TE knew about Lawrence through his own work and not through David Lean. Silly me.

------------------

Old 03-11-00, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the dvd that led to my decision to start using eBay!!! Of the 100 or so dvds I bought in '99 this was the biggest disappointment!
Old 03-13-00, 05:44 PM

Any film by David Cronenberg will not be an easy sell.
I was watching my Criterion laser disk of Crash and Cronenberg said that he wants to make a movie that will leave you with a hard to describe feeling.
That is what I get out of Crash, Naked Lunch, and Dead Ringers, a strange feeling.
eXistenZ is one of his more straight forward movies and the commentary track helps alot with getting more out of the movie.
Matrix has a goal with the feelings you should have, right will win out in the end with some action along the way.
Each movie has a very different direction and goal to achive,
so to compare the two is not fair.
I like both, just what mood am I in at the time.

[This message has been edited by EBChamorro (edited March 13, 2000).]