Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted - Annie Hall, Raging Bull, and Double Indemnity

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted - Annie Hall, Raging Bull, and Double Indemnity

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-00, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are all titles that I've been wavering on awhile even though I love the films. Are the dvds bad enough to warrant waiting for new releases or should I go ahead and buy these? No anamorphic, no DD5.1 = (I know it's not possible for DI)
Old 01-09-00, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The "Double Indemnity" DVD is disappointing. Owned by Universal but distributed by Image, it is featureless and though the picture quality is better (much sharper) than that of the video, it is still inexcusably grainy. The mono soundtrack suffices; the dialogue is all crisp. "Double Indemnity" deserves the Collector's Edition treatment.

--Heather
Old 01-09-00, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Until pretty recently, I had been putting off buying "Raging Bull" (and other Scorsese films) and "Double Indemnity" in the hopes that special editions would be released. However, since I don't see that happening anytime soon, I've been slowly picking them up. I gues you have to ask yourself the question: What is more important...the film or the extras. "Raging Bull" is not anamorphic and does not have DD5.1, but it is one of my favorite movies, so it didn't really makes sense to me not to own it. The picture and sound are clear. Perhaps they could be a bit better, but, like I said, I'm not expecting a new release of it anytime soon. The only extras are the trailer and a 8 page booklet. In my opinion, this DVD is a "must-own", if only beacuse it's such an incredible film. If a new edition is released, I'm sure that you'd have no trouble trading the old one or selling it on Ebay.

I have not yet picked up "Double Indemnity", but every review I've seen agrees with what DVDer said.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 01-09-00, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
"Annie Hall" is a good, clean transfer with nothing special in the extras department. As a matter of fact, any extras for this DVD can be found in the paper booklet that accompanies the disc.

Ditto on the other two films mentioned.
Old 01-13-00, 09:59 PM

Double Indemnity is one of my top five. While the DVD is not special, the film makes up for it. Overall it would be great for a remaster, but it is still an excellent production.

[This message has been edited by bytenfly (edited January 13, 2000).]