Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Nightmare on Elm Street DVD review!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Nightmare on Elm Street DVD review!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-99, 01:52 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go here to read it http://dvd.cyber-distributors.com/cg...nightelmstreet

quote:<HR>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, A
Date Reviewed - 09/03/99

One - Two - Freddy’s Coming For You…

New Line did a great job of remastering the cult original “A Nightmare On Elm Street” by creative genius Wes Craven. Nightmare was a low budget horror flick in the 80’s that spawned a whole mess of sequels, and made Freddy Krueger and actor Robert England, a house hold name. Also starring in the film was Heather Langenkamp and a young Johnny Depp.

The movie is basically about “Fred” Krueger who killed children. Parents of the victims eventually killed him off after the law failed at keeping him behind bars. Years later, a few teens in the same town begin to dream of a disfigured man with a glove that has knives attached to it. One by one, each of the teens die in their sleep when Freddy takes his revenge on them.

The movie is presented in 1.85:1 widescreen format and is 16x9 enhanced. Also included is a pan & scan version of the film on the same side of the disc. You choose which one you want to watch after starting the film. The picture quality is excellent. No grain, scratches or compression problems can be seen. Black and color levels seem dead on. The transfer is not as exceptional as some movies made in the 90’s, but due to the age of the film and the fact that it was low budget, the picture quality is more than impressive.

Audio is presented in a new 5.1 soundtrack as well as the original 2.0 mono soundtrack. The 5.1 soundtrack may not be as contemporary as newer movies, but it does very well. There is hardly any use of the surrounds and only on occasion does the .1 channel does some thumping. The 5.1 mix sounds much better than the 2.0 mono.

Supplemental materials include an audio commentary with director Wes Craven, the director of photography Jacques Haitkin, and actors Heather Langenkamp and John Saxon. Also included is biographies of the cast and crew and a 5.1 theatrical trailer. DVD-Rom extras include the screenplay, a trivia game and links back to the nightmare website.

Available separate or in the “Nightmare” box set available from New Line, this DVD is not only recommended to fans of the movie, but also to horror lovers everywhere. The movie is rated R and runs 92 minutes.

Story : A-
Audio: B+
Video: A-
<HR>
Old 09-04-99, 04:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

DAC,

Thanks for the review. I've got this on order, but wasn't quite sure what all it was going to include. Sounds like it should be a good one!

D.
Old 09-07-99, 10:25 AM

I just watched this last night. The transfer is very clean and well-rendered. The 5.1 track, having Freddy's voice echoing around you, was a real treat. The disc is nowhere as nice as New Line's "The Corruptor" disc, but I haven't checked out the other features yet.

OK, I checked out the the commentary track, and it is interesting, although at times I'd have liked to smack Heather upside the head...she's a bit goofy. The cast and crew bios neglect Robert Englund and Johnny Depp, because they chose to use the 1984 press materials instead of generating anything more worthy for their franchise. Still, it's a nice disc that could have been better, but it's no Disney, if you know what I mean.

[This message has been edited by bob_mandel (edited 09-10-1999).]
Old 03-15-12, 12:27 AM

Re: Nightmare on Elm Street DVD review!

... Many years later, I finally bought a copy of this boxed set. I'd like to try out the DVD-ROM features, but they want to run on Windows 98 with QuickTime 3. I wasn't able to get them to run at all on Windows 7, but I had a little more success with Windows XP. The FreddyDVD.tgl script crashes, though, and the PCFriendly app doesn't recognize QT7, and so refuses to run the trivia game.

Has anyone had success in getting the special features to run on a modern PC?
Old 03-27-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd consider returnign it (if you can) and purchasing the Blu-ray boxed set from the UK. It really doesn't cost that much, considering.
Old 03-27-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Is this a record for a bump?
Old 04-05-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts

It has to be ...
Old 12-08-12, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by dommer2029
... Many years later, I finally bought a copy of this boxed set. I'd like to try out the DVD-ROM features, but they want to run on Windows 98 with QuickTime 3. I wasn't able to get them to run at all on Windows 7, but I had a little more success with Windows XP. The FreddyDVD.tgl script crashes, though, and the PCFriendly app doesn't recognize QT7, and so refuses to run the trivia game.

Has anyone had success in getting the special features to run on a modern PC?
Just to follow up, I was able to run the trivia game on Windows 7 by making sure Shockwave was installed and then dragging the [DVD Drive]:\newline\mm_[disk #].dcr files into an Internet Explorer window.
Old 12-08-12, 07:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i've never seen that date in a post!