DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews of First Knight

Old 08-05-99, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is it in comparison to other films of this genre?

gwynnfan
Old 08-09-99, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this movie was one of the worst movies I've ever spent money on to see in a theater. But that was before I saw Godzilla and Armageddon. At times, the dialogue was really laughable. And believe me we did laugh. These two guys sitting in the row in front of me started this impromptu "Mystery Science Theater 3000"-like commentary during the movie. I found their comments considerably more entertaining than the movie.

I'm actually a big fan of the Arthurian legend and have seen and read as many of the interpretations as I could get my hands on. This was actually a pretty bad version. The filmmakers decided to eliminate everything except for the love triangle really, and they didn't even do that well. Not even Sean Connery could save this film. I recommend Excalibur instead.

The best part of the movie was the sound! One of the best sound mixes I've ever heard. The scene in the forest when it rains is really amazing. NOTE: I haven't watched the DVD, so whether the DVD sounds as good as the SDDS sound mix I heard in the theater is questionable.

Julia Ormand as Guinevere is pretty easy on the eyes, but she can't really act. Richard Gere is horrible, I think, as Lancelot. Terribly miscast here.

[This message has been edited by Ed Sabol (edited 08-09-1999).]