Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: "Dark Crystal" & "Labyrinth"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: "Dark Crystal" & "Labyrinth"

Old 08-08-99, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to read some reviews for both of these classics. I probably saw them when I was younger, but I can't seem to remember them.

I am thinking about pre-ordering these so your input would be appreciated . . . thanks.
Old 08-09-99, 04:33 PM

A review of Labyrinth:

Jennifer Connelly plays a teen-ager named Sarah who is babysitting her baby brother. When the baby won't stop crying, Sarah reaches the end of her rope and wishes out loud that someone would take the baby away to give her some peace and quiet. Enter the Goblin King played by David Bowie who has been admiring Sarah from a distance. (And who wouldn't? I was 16 when this movie came out and had a huge crush on Jennifer Connelly!) The Goblin King whisks the baby away to Goblinland hoping to impress her, but, when Sarah insults him and says she wants the baby back, he goes off to his castle in Goblinland in a huff. It's up to Sarah to rescue her baby brother before midnight, at which point he'll turn into a Goblin. The only problem is that the Goblin King's castle is at the center of a labyrinth. The real charm of the movie comes as Jennifer Connelly traverses the maze, meeting some of Jim Henson's best muppet creations (well, not counting the muppets on Sesame Street and The Muppet Show of course) ever. A lot of the muppets she meets in the maze are friendly, but some aren't. A lot of them are funny, some are a little scary, some are helpful in her quest, and some are incredibly endearing. The result is reminiscent of "Alice in Wonderland," but I think with more of a purposeful plot and a more dynamic central character in Sarah. The climax comes in the Goblin King's castle which looks like it came right out of an M. C. Escher drawing and is very cool. In my estimation, this is one of Jim Henson's best pieces of work.
Old 08-09-99, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Needlz!!!! What's up buddy!!

I preordered these two because there arent too many fantasy movies on dvd. (actually I think there are none.) Also they are both SE. Plus from Columbia! I got Labyrinth for $11 and Dark Crystal for full price but I get an extra free movie. (I used coupons for both.) I can't wait. These movies target a young audience but I'm a kid at heart. Plus I love the scenery. I have Labyrinth on vhs (recorded from original yuck. seen the first 30 minutes of it...I'll wait for the dvd) and David Bowie starts in it (he's the evil villain) and the characters are cool. These type of movies remind me of a fantasy game...Zelda. Thanks Columbia!
Old 08-10-99, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

El Sabol . . .

Thanks for the extensive review . . . the story sounds familiar from my childhood . . . I'm sure I enjoyed it.

sonic . . . buddy!!!

I just pre-ordered "Dark Crystal" & "The Matrix" from Reel with a $10 coupon . . . came out to something like $11 for each!!! . . . retail prices??? . . . what's that???

Man . . . Columbia/Tri-Star is DA BOMB!!! . . . so is Zelda!!! I'll pre-order "Labyrinth" when I find something else to order it with, so I can use another $10 coupon!!!

If anyone else has more comments on these classics, I would appreciate it . . . thanks.
Old 08-10-99, 05:07 AM

The Dark Crystal freaked me out when I was a kid. Those muppets are creepy.