DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

SOTL: Criterion comments?

Old 05-29-99, 01:21 PM
Peat

I'd like to hear comments on the disc's audio/video quality. My friend's got the other version, is the quality improved over the Orion version seeing as it's a Criterion title.

Also, thoughts on the special features are also welcome. Thanks!

------------------
Peat.
Email:[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Peat (edited 05-31-99).]
Old 05-29-99, 01:36 PM
Filmmaker

The video and audio are markedly improved over the Image version. When the camera pans over the drawing of Clarice in Hannibal's cell, you can actually see the drawing on the Criterion version! As far as extras go, the deleted scenes are a treat, and it's interesting to see how the filmmakers altered the events of Clarice's discovery of the car that contained a head in a jar from the original edit. There are several "pages" of text detailing interviews with actual serial killers throughout history, and they are rough, raw, and hard to swallow, but incredibly compelling if you have the stomach for it. The audio commentary is extremely fascinating, packed with very intelligent insights, but it is somewhat irritating because a Criterion narrater introduces each commentator before they speak. At first, this is no big deal, but after the 20th time Jodie Foster or Jonathan Demme begins to speak, I don't need someone telling me who it is I'm listening to, ya know? According to a spec sheet I have, the LaserDisc version contains production photos from on-set--they are absent on the DVD . Additionally, both the DVD and the LaserDisc are missing the theatrical trailer, which I find to be absolutely unconscionable ! With that one overt exception, the Criterion SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is a superb piece of work, and a notable improvement over the movie-only disc. I'm sure you'll be pleased!
Old 06-04-99, 07:04 PM
Peat

Thanks for your thorough comments, Filmmaker. I'm really looking forward to hearing that commentary, Foster is always a pleasure to listen to and Hopkins is great. Sorry I took so long to reply, I'm hardly ever in this reviews area.

------------------
Peat.
Email:[email protected]
Old 06-05-99, 02:29 PM
BLee

Peat if you want more information.
This site has one review of each and a comparison which I will link for you.

This is the comparison www.dvd4u.com/special_features/comparisons/silence/index.htm

Old 06-11-99, 03:02 AM
Frank S

The only disappointing thing about the Criterion version of SOTL was the lack of DD 5.1. It's a 1990 film and should certainly have been done in DD 5.1. Otherwise the video quality was quite good.
Old 06-11-99, 06:53 PM
Ceej

"Should have been done in 5.1", Frank? What makes you say that? Certainly 5.1 sound wasn't available in 1990; the first theatrical film to use it (in the form of DTS) was Jurassic Park, which came out in 1993. Silence of the Lambs was originally shown in Dolby Surround, and Criterion maintained that presentation.
Old 06-12-99, 06:53 PM
Frank S

Ceej:
Just because a movie was not presented in DD/DTS 5.1 doesn't mean it can not or should not be done in DD/DTS 5.1. I've got movies from the 50's & 60's in DD 5.1 (Spartacus, Ten Commandments) and 90+ more films from 1990 and earlier that are in DD/DTS 5.1. If Criterion is only trying to preserve the quality of the films as they were shown when released then they should never release a DVD again, because there are almost no DVD's out there that are not superior to the quality as shown in the theaters. And the promise I am expecting from Criterion is they are going to enhance the movie as much as possible.

If Criterion or the Studios are going to put these movies on DVD we should expect them to put a little extra into the enhancement, sound especially. And if were going to be paying 10-15 more per DVD from Criterion you better bet I want DD/DTS 5.1 it at all humanly possible.

The unfortunate thing I am beginning to see is everyone is just so glad to get their favorite movies on DVD's that they are willing to except the lack of one feature or another. The troubling part is if the studios start seeing no one complaining about their sub-par DVD's then they will slowing start diminishing the quality of their next releases. I for one expect (and demand) the highest quality from the studios or whomever is putting out the DVD's because that is why have made the switch to this DVD format (it's vastly superior quality).

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited 06-12-1999).]