Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How best to LISTEN to Das Boot?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

How best to LISTEN to Das Boot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-99, 05:35 AM
Blade

I've never seen this movie, just checked out some of it's features and watched the diving scene at the beginning of side 2.

I was doing some comparisons of the english subtitles for the German soundtrack and the spoken English track. Specifically at the beginning of the movie when they're at the bar having a party and some Junior officer comes up to talk to the Captain. I noticed that the subtitles and the spoken English differed in content.

I guess it's not really critical to the story, but it got me to wondering which version would be better to watch. The German 5.1 track using subtitles, or the English 5.1 track and no subtitles?

Any opinions would be grateful as I have lots of movies to get through and won't be able to take the time to just watch it both ways and then listen to the Dir. Commentary in the near future (that adds up to 10 hours and 27 minutes of movie watching, not bad for $10!)

Thanks,
-David
Old 06-08-99, 07:23 AM
jasonbird

Blade, I just watched this movie for the
first time. It's great! I watched side one
in German with the English subtitles and then
side 2 in English.
I think you get a better effect when you
watch it in german. The translation in the
subtitles is different than the English
dubbing. I thought the subtitles made it more
suspensful. Let us know what you decide.
Jason
Old 06-08-99, 01:39 PM
Peken

I watched Das Boot in its original German with the eng subtitles on. I found it was the way to go, since that's how the movie was originally produced, and the audio doesn't sound as "fake". (Being an Anime fan, I'm used to this)

Also, the subtitles differ from the dub because the dub was written to sound like english dialogue, whereas the subtitles are there more as a close translation of what is being said. Remember that the way we speak and the way we write are two completely different things.

Also, what I like about listening to the original dialogue, is that you get a sense of how the language is actually spoken. It's great practice for when you do impressions

Peken
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~peken.asp
Old 06-08-99, 04:21 PM
Blade

Thanks guys!

Looks like I'll go with the German and English subtitles viewing first!

Glad you both liked the movie, I've heard lots of great things and I'm looking forward to watching it myself!

-David
Old 06-08-99, 04:29 PM
vlad

I watch this in English, very loud, in a very dark room, with the phone turned off, after a stressfull day with lots of caffine.

The mood is just about right...
Old 06-09-99, 02:05 AM
The Zizz

I'd go with the German version; captures the mood of the film better, and you have to go with the version of the film that was intended by the director. Also, when you listen to the commentary, you'll get to here the english verison in the background.
Old 06-09-99, 08:39 PM
Jeff

Definately the German version. There is not a tremendous amount of dialogue and you get used to reading very quickly after beginning the movie.