Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

New musicals - anyone compared them with the LDs?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

New musicals - anyone compared them with the LDs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-99, 02:26 PM
Bleddyn Williams

A bunch of great musicals were released yesterday, including "An American in Paris," "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and several more.

For us old LDers, could anyone who's traded up (or had occasion to compare the new DVDs against the old LDs) post some comparitive comments here.

I myself am interested in "An American in Paris" and "Seven Brides..." I have traded up to DVD a lot more than I expected to in the past months. I don't automatically do so, however, and would like to know if its worth doing so in these cases.

I must say, based on "Singin' in the Rain" I suspect the answer will be YES!

Bleddyn

Old 04-28-99, 03:55 PM
mdean

Ditto! I read a post here that South Pacific was disappointing. Someone posted today that the King and I is good. (I've seen this one so many times on cable recently, and am still undecided whether to acquire or not.)

I recently received Music Man (which is great), Singin' in the Rain (also topnotch), and this morning received An American in Paris (too bad this one is only available in standard version screen format).

Anyone seen Carousel, Gigi, et al?
Old 05-03-99, 02:12 PM
kurtzp

South Pacific was good but the overkill use of heavy filters for all the musical numbers gets really annoying after a while.

Oklahoma was excellent shot in the Todd-AO version. Does anyone else notice quite a bit of audio distortion on these movies when there is just dialogue, but seems to be much better when there is actual singing going on?? Maybe my center-channel speaker needs upgrading.