Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Amelie" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Comedy Challenge: Week 2

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

For discussion during week 2 (Nov. 8-14) of the 2016 Comedy Challenge. Watch it on November 14 to check off the Funny Women theme night!

Amélie (also known as Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain; English: The Fabulous Life of Amélie Poulain) is a 2001 romantic comedy film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Written by Jeunet with Guillaume Laurant, the film is a whimsical depiction of contemporary Parisian life, set in Montmartre. It tells the story of a shy waitress, played by Audrey Tautou, who decides to change the lives of those around her for the better, while struggling with her own isolation. The film was a co-production between companies in France and Germany. Taking in over $33 million in a limited theatrical release, it is to date the highest-grossing French-language film released in the United States.

The film received critical acclaim and was a major box office success. Amélie won Best Film at the European Film Awards; it also won four César Awards (including Best Film and Best Director), two BAFTA Awards (including Best Original Screenplay), and was nominated for five Academy Awards. A Broadway adaptation premiered at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in Berkeley, California in September 2015.
Old 11-08-16, 02:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: "Amelie" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Comedy Challenge: Week 2

I hope my "a" box isn't at storage....
Old 11-12-16, 03:26 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

It's been a while since I've seen this movie. So I really enjoyed watching it again. I'd put this movie on my Top 20 Romantic Comedies list. Maybe even in the Top 10.

Did it originally have stylish subtitles? I thought it did, but maybe I'm thinking of another movie.

Don't bother watching this on Vudu. They have the incorrect aspect ratio (1.85:1 instead of the proper 2.35:1).
Old 11-12-16, 09:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Saw this in the theater and instantly gravitated toward it. So good, sweet, wondrous, magical. In my top 10 of all time, I believe...
Old 11-14-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I guess I'm odd-man-out as I didn't care for it. I almost stopped after the first half hour as it was boring me silly. Shortly after that the battery on my Fire tablet got too low to continue so I stopped and put it on charge, finishing it tonight. It had a *few* humorous moments but I came away with mostly a "just average" feeling about it. By the end of the 2 hours I truly didn't care if she got her guy or not. I was more entertained at her torturing the produce owner and the *few* photos of the gnome but they were too short to save the film even though those segments were enough for me to give it a 5/10 instead of 4/10. I was annoyed they started the gnome bit and then pretty much left it hanging. I think I'd rather watch Alien Resurrection than Amelie again.
Old 11-15-16, 06:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'll keep you odd for now Bob. Amelie is a magical film that keeps me smiling from beginning to end with few interruptions. Possibly a top ten of all time for me.

It reminds me of my life motto (which I almost constantly fail): If you're thinking about yourself, you're doing it wrong.