Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Howl" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 16

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-23-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Howl (2015)

Selected by WillieMLF

IMDB ENTRY

Hulu

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts
Re: "Howl" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 16

Another movie that I had never heard of but found extremely enjoyable. It always seems tough to find a decent werewolf movie but this one is definitely fun. Yeah, it has the normal Poseidon Adventure stereotypes for this kind of situation: the hero, the jerk, the old couple, the fat person, the sullen teen, the hot chick who doesn't notice the hero until he becomes the hero, etc.

It was nice and claustrophobic being stuck on that train with them. The gore and werewolves were very well done. Very limited use of CG on the creatures which was very nice. I watched some of the extras and was surprised that the faces of the werewolves were CG. The faces looked animatronic to me which is what they were likely going for. The legs are CG as well but the rest is practical.

I never felt like the entire group was completely stupid. They did basically what they could with what resources they had. The ending was good as well. The ending I predicted was wrong and I was happy about that.

A fun film and a from me.
Old 10-16-16, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Overall a nice indie werewolf movies that seems to do well with limited setting. The train setting is well utilized. Nice gore on that leg wound. Cool gnarly werewolf effects, what teeth.

You don't always see 'packs' featured in werewolf movies, which is surprising and the werewolf group trope works nicely here.

Movies that feature ghouls as catalysts to another more human plot can be hit or miss - Aidan as a bad guy wasn't always believable. I think Howl was going for 'shades of grey' but, for example, it made little sense for the group to not dispose of Jenny when she was clearly a werewolf implying Aidan was reckless then when Joe eventually saves Aidan from werewolf Jenny he's portrayed as a hero.

I 'get' that this is intended to be a night time scenery but the whole movie has an odd blue tint to it... and that constantly overhead blinking light sure is distracting.
Old 10-16-16, 06:35 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I loved this movie. The stranded train setting was great. And the werewolf effects were awesome.

This will end up being one of my favorite movies of the challenge.
Old 10-16-16, 06:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Agree with most of the above comments. It was a fun little ride that kept me immersed. Nice pick!
Old 10-17-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

I really, really enjoyed this one, but undeadcow's complaint with it was what I loved most of all: the film's mood. The silver-blue lighting REALLY captured that "rainy night in the middle of nowhere" vibe for me, which translated into the film being far more creepy than it would have been otherwise.

I think that the ending was my least favorite part of the film; once Joe got bitten, I knew exactly where it was heading, and I couldn't help but be a little disappointed that the filmmakers resorted to that trope after what had come before.

Overall, though, two big hairy paws up.
Old 10-18-16, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted more from this one. Started off great introducing its characters, but ultimately it was so derivative and I felt it lacked a sense of humor. I'm not the biggest werewolf fan as it is, and it's probably my least favorite of our perennial monsters choices (serial killers, zombies and vampires are sooo much cooler).

Glad I watched another subset film, but this was a case where I'd have preferred a re-watch of An American Werewolf in London or Silver Bullet, which are my personal favorite were-flicks.
Old 10-19-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I caught this one a few weeks ago and ended up not watching the rest in the hopes of watching it for the challenge. This was a pretty fun ride but the CGI werewolves seemed a bit clunky at times. The entire premise worked quite well.

This must be the year of the train. Plan on trying to get find Train to Busan because this one seems quite intense.
Old 10-31-16, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Entertaining movie overall. I did like the pack aspect of it. Undeadcow is right that this isn't utilized as much. It's usually a lone wolf. That's sort of what I was expecting here as well. It really added to the hopelessness of it that the forest seemed to be filled with those werewolves.

Interesting that we wound up with two films with Shauna Macdonald among our subset films this year. Nice to see her in something other than The Descent.