Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 4

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Killer Klowns from Outer Space" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 4

Old 09-23-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

Selected by pacaway

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ON DAILYMOTION

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day

Possibly the greatest killer clowns from outer space movie that could have been made with some inventive gags (my favorite is the shadow puppet) and a tongue-in-cheek approach that makes it hard not to like. It could have used a little more character and John Vernon adds a much needed stage presence here because so many other actors are so casual it's like they're laughing at the joke not telling it. The music is some of the best I've heard so far this month and what a set design. It's too bad they don't make practical effects like this any more; those are some excellent clown designs.

I've seen Killer Klowns before but initially I was turned away by the obviously goofball title/premise; which seemed manufactured to just be a 'crazy' film about alien killer clowns lacking any subtlety the execution is serious enough that it proves to be effective.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-04-16 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 10:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day

I hated this film upon first viewing, but it grows on me each time I watch it. I'm to the point where I very much enjoy it and wonder why it bothered me so much initially.
Old 10-04-16, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was my second time seeing this the first time I vaguely recall thinking it was decent, this time was a freaking blast. Definitely one of the most entertaining horror comedy films out there in my opinion. I agree with John Vernon being especially awesome in this. Those who like this may like Stitches which is also fun in my opinion.
Old 10-04-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

And one of the reasons i chose it is that it is getting a 3D remake next year. Here's hoping they don't botch it up.
Old 10-04-16, 07:26 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

this is another film that grows on me with repeat viewings as a couple of you stated . it is also a film you have to be in the mood for. its pretty silly but a hell of alot of fun
Old 10-04-16, 09:20 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

I've seen this around a dozen times, and I always enjoy it.

This year was my first time watching the original The Blob. And it was fun to see the similarities between the two movies.
Old 10-04-16, 09:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

This year was my first time watching the original The Blob. And it was fun to see the similarities between the two movies.
Wow. How'd I never think about that? I watch The Blob at least once a year.
Old 10-04-16, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pacaway
And one of the reasons i chose it is that it is getting a 3D remake next year. Here's hoping they don't botch it up.

I can only see it being a better film being in 3D. First time I saw this one I couldn't even make it to the end, but with time I have grown to like this film a lot for what it is. I do believe that this is the film that got me to appreciate other films that came from other production companies like Full Moon............well this and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Old 10-05-16, 12:36 AM

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

I usually hate this type of film...you know, the kind that is made to be an instant cult flick, as Undeadcow pointed out above. Oddly enough, I like this one. I think that it won me over due to its insane creativity (this time around, I thought that the paper cutout footprints in the police station were just crazy good) and its unbridled mean-spiritedness. As others have pointed out, John Vernon is great in it as well.
Old 10-05-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
I just wish the little girl had gotten clubbed in the head!
Old 10-05-16, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

^

I was thinking this as well. Pretty amazing clown costumes. I could see a zipper on the mask during the fight with the motorcycle dude. I really enjoyed this one.
Old 10-05-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

This is a silly film about aliens that look like Clowns terrorizing a small town, by turning people into cotton candy. The premise is ludicrous, but the actual film is wildly entertaining. This is the type of film that you wouldn't go out of your way to rent, but if you saw it on TV you'd make some popcorn and sit down and watch, amused by the sheer absurdity of what's unfolding onscreen. In the wrong hands, this film could have been a total disaster, and it probably should have been, but there's so much creativity in the gags and set pieces, that it's hard not to be won over.

The clowns themselves look great, and pretty much makeup for the near total lack of compelling characters. I agree that John Vernon brings some class and gravity to the production, and does a great job playing a no-nonsense local cop that the audience can't wait to see victimized by the alien clowns. I can't remember which network aired this regularly when I was young, but it was great revisiting this on BD looking pretty darn good. My favorite gags include a clown using a corpse like a ventriloquist dummy, skin-melting cream pies, and an endless amount of aliens piling out of a clown car. Good subset pick, especially with all of the bizarre clown sightings going on around the country. Impending invasion, perhaps?
Old 10-05-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

I can't remember which network aired this regularly when I was young, but it was great revisiting this on BD looking pretty darn good.
Unfortunately for me, I dug out my old MGM Midnight Movie DVD. Watched on my 55" 4K TV, it really did NOT look good, even upscaled.
Old 10-06-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I love this movie. Kind of bummed that I can't make the local MST3K-style live riffing at the Alamo going on here in Denver this month.
Old 10-07-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

This used to play on HBO and Cinemax way back in the day. I remember the first time I saw it. It was just starting, and I kept expecting myself to change the channel because it sounded like such a ridiculously stupid movie. I never did. It sucked me in, and I had a lot of fun watching it. I've seen it many times since, and it doesn't ever seem to get old for me.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

I decided to watch with the commentary for the first time. One of the first things they said was that they pretty much completely modeled the plot on The Blob. There were a few things they pointed out, including that both started at a make-out point. They said there were times when they would question something, but they would usually end up saying that that was how it was done in The Blog so they'll do the same.

For the most part, it was a pretty good commentary. They also mentioned that when they went to find funding for the picture, they were able to get something very quickly based on the title alone. They said they didn't think the producers weren't expecting much in the way of quality. Ha, ha.
Old 10-10-16, 10:07 PM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040
This was my second time seeing this the first time I vaguely recall thinking it was decent, this time was a freaking blast. Definitely one of the most entertaining horror comedy films out there in my opinion.
I second that - not bad last time, but much more fun this year.
Old 10-23-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts

I will just have to say ditto to all of the excellent points many of you have already stated about this film because I feel the exact same way.

This is my third or fourth time to give this movie a shot. I have never liked it before and just thought it was ridiculously stupid. Why did I not notice before that tongue was firmly in cheek the entire movie? Why did I not appreciate the awesome practical effects and clown designs? Why did I not "get" the sheer silly fun of this movie?

I have no answers for the above but I really enjoyed this movie this time around for all of the above. Another kudos for John Vernon as well. Did the guy ever suck in anything he did not matter how bad of a movie it was? I used to think of him as a poor man's Richard Burton but I actually enjoy more than Burton nowadays.

And nice to see my man Scotty Palmer in another role. I wish the guy had gotten more attention. He always makes me smile. Looks like he is going to be in the upcoming Killer Klowns sequel (if it actually gets made).