Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Corridors of Blood" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Corridors of Blood (1958)

Selected by The Masses

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

AMAZON PRIME

HULU

DAILYMOTION

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 06:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: "Corridors of Blood" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge

Was this one of the films on that Monsters and Madmen set?
Old 09-24-16, 06:27 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Corridors of Blood is available at Hulu and Amazon Prime.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/225632
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JIVKM4
Old 09-30-16, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Was this one of the films on that Monsters and Madmen set?
Yes sir. All of the flicks were pretty enjoyable, but I particularly enjoyed this and The Haunted Strangler.
Old 09-30-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I believe this was the very first time I saw Karloff & Lee on the screen together. Brief nerdgasm moment!
Old 09-30-16, 02:23 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

This didn't seem like a Horror film. There wasn't any suspense. Actually, with that ending, it seems more like a historical biography film.

I really enjoyed The Haunted Strangler. Karloff was awesome in that one. A great classic horror film.
Old 09-30-16, 02:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yes sir. All of the flicks were pretty enjoyable, but I particularly enjoyed this and The Haunted Strangler.
Thanks, dug around storage and found my set earlier today.

I think I watched the entire set 5 or so OHMCs ago, may try that again tonight if I can pull an allnighter.
Old 09-30-16, 09:47 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
This didn't seem like a Horror film. There wasn't any suspense. Actually, with that ending, it seems more like a historical biography film.
its not a horror film in my mind either, but a docu-drama about the discovery of anesthesia. I have worked in healthcare for 25 years so i found it interesting
Old 09-30-16, 11:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

I really enjoyed The Haunted Strangler. Karloff was awesome in that one. A great classic horror film.
The screams of the patients being operated on without anesthesia certainly horrified me. Maybe not a horror film in the traditional sense, but it was pretty damn disturbing.
Old 09-30-16, 11:39 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

It certainly didn't seem to be a traditional horror film to me but I still enjoyed it thoroughly. I think Boris Karloff is an excellent actor and he did a good job here. I felt Christopher Lee was somewhat wasted but my wife said she enjoyed it and that was all I needed to hear for it to be a successful subset pick for me!
Old 10-01-16, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I thought that it was slightly better than okay, but it didn't grab me like a similarly-set film, The Flesh and the Fiends (aka Mania), did. I enjoyed seeing Lee and Karloff together, and Betta St. John is real purdy, but I found my attention wandering a bit in the middle.

I find it odd that this film had to wait four years to get a wide release in the country where it was made, and that it took five years to come out in the US. To add insult to injury, in the US at least, Corridors of Blood was first released as the bottom half of a double bill with Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory.

Christopher Lee sure did get a lot of acid thrown in his face in the 1950s.
Old 10-01-16, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I really liked the psychological aspects of this movie as the doctor was slowly consumed by addiction/drive towards eventual murder. Boris Karloff carries the movie through much of it's 'slow burn' approach really 'selling' himself as a tormented surgeon. At times the pacing seemed too slow. I didn't realize it was a loose depiction of real events and it makes me wonder more about the factual basis. The 'historical' atmosphere was nice. The title Corridors of Blood title is hilariously sensationalized, personally I was hoping for more corridors.
Old 10-01-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Corridors of Blood (1959)

Boris Karloff stars as a sensitive, aging surgeon who is desperate to unlock the secret of as of yet undiscovered anesthesia. His peers dismiss his experiments as folly, convinced that with the knife, comes pain. A failed demonstration leaves him disgraced and he spirals down the path of addiction as his experiments grow more and more dangerous. He enlists the help of graverobbers who are creating their own corpses to get paid.

Karloff's performance is the big highlight here. I always forget that he's more than a groaning, shuffling monster from the Frankenstein films. This is an interesting story about an aspect of modern medicine we take for granted. Christopher Lee also appears, but fans of his may find him underutilized as a mostly quiet, but menacing thug. The film comes screeching to a halt when the doctor's son and his love interest are on screen, sucking the life out of the movie with their completely unnecessary subplot. Luckily that doesn't happen to often and the film mostly stays focused on Karloff's descent into desperation.

This film is no less horror than Jaws or Green Room. It's got drug-fueled hallucinations, multiple murders by a group of rogues, sawed-off limbs, and a cast featuring Karloff and Lee. If this movie were made in the mid 90s by David Cronenberg featuring modern gore and a pulsing soundtrack, we wouldn't question its inclusion in the challenge. I'm sure this film was horrifying for audiences of 1959, and the scene of Karloff performing surgery on a conscious and sobbing little girl was as disturbing as anything I'm likely to watch this month. I think sometimes we get hung up on the shallow definition of horror and forget that character driven descents into madness can be one of the scariest kinds of stories.
Old 10-01-16, 11:51 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd seen this movie before for a previous challenge but it was great to revisit it this year. I agree that it's not strictly a horror film, but there's an air of dread and suspense as the plot unfolds that works for me. The idea of surgery without anesthesia is perhaps, for me, the scariest thing around. And there are enough surprises along the way to make it watchable.

[Confession: Whenever I watch a Karloff movie, I hear The Grinch.]
Old 10-01-16, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I agree surgery without anethesia is one of the scariest things around as someone with very low pain tolerance having chronic illnesses myself. I thought the acting was good and interesting because I don't see many films on this subject. It may not be traditional horror like I expected but it was intriguing. Not sure I'd ever revisit though because nothing special stuck out to me other than thinking it was good for a first time watch.
Old 10-03-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

This one was fun for me. Ended up watching Corridors followed by The Haunted Strangler. I enjoyed both of these, and may revisit one for the commentary later this month. Sunday night, watched and ended up really liking First Man Into Space quite a bit. Listened to some of the commentary and it was pretty interesting.